• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Movie recaps/anthologies

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed that Chris has added four new Rebuild of Evangelion movies. Should other movie recaps/anthologies, such as Zeta Gundam and Kiddy Grade, be separated as well?

Furthermore, correct me if I were wrong, but as far as I know the word "rebuild" had only been used in September 2006 and then never appeared in public announcements anywhere in 2007. The current English title is Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone.

BTW, can the restriction of parentheses be lifted? Right now they have to be replaced either with square brackets or full-width alphanumeric Japanese characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:53 am Reply with quote
I'm wondering why the other movie remake compilations were added as only one entry in the first place. I think they should be split like Evangelion is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quote
With the news I noticed the type of Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO: The Hidden One Year War is "movies" instead of just "movie." Maybe we could use this little trick as an interim method before Chris has decided whether to split all individual movies from anthologies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:21 am Reply with quote
Sorry, for not replying earlier. This is actually something Dan should decide on.

All in all, I think splitting them the way I did Evangelion is best, since each one is indeed a separate movie.

But the decision is Dan's.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:52 am Reply with quote
Before Dan makes the final decision, let's see how many cases I can think of right now:

Gundam
Zeta Gundam
Gundam MS IGLOO: The Hidden One Year War
Kiddy Grade
Kara no Kyoukai
5cm

Anything else?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:38 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Before Dan makes the final decision, let's see how many cases I can think of right now:

Gundam
Zeta Gundam
Kiddy Grade
Kara no Kyoukai
5cm

Anything else?

5CM is one movie with three parts. It isn't even like an omnibus like Memories or Genius party where the parts are unrelated, but rather 3 separate stories that combined make 1 movie. Regardsless of the decision, I don't think it should be considered in the same vein as these or other omnibus.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:42 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Isn't MS IGLOO an OVA series?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
dormcat wrote:

Isn't MS IGLOO an OVA series?

That's Apocalypse 0079; I was talking about The Hidden One Year War screened in the Bandai Museum. However, the latter can be considered as a single movie with three parts, similar to 5cm; Anison Generation lists all three parts as a single movie.

Do we have a verdict now? Methinks that Gundam, Z Gumdam, and Kiddy Grade movies should have no problem getting separated.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Ok, from now on the rule is that splittable anime should be splitted. Split anthologies into parts, series into seasons, etc. Of course there is a certain care to be taken since some titles, like 5cm, may at first look appear splittable but are in fact not. Also we need to take MyAnime into consideration; as an (old) example, "Yu-Gi-Oh!" should have been split from "Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters" and not the other way around, because most of the votes were probably intended for "Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters". If the information is too mixed up it may not be worth splitting. So any split should be discussed here before going forward.

FURTHERMORE, I would like to avoid clutter as much as possible when transferring some of the information from the "unsplit" to the "splitted-off" title. So instead of redeeming info in A1 and adding it in A2, I would like to transfer the info directly. Please post here what info should be transfered to which title and I'll change the DB manually. Please write the "code" parameter from status.php. For example if the anime "Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation II" is created with id #12345, I would like to see something like this:

transfer to 12345:
AI-3899-23
AI-3899-40
etc...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:30 pm Reply with quote
In addition, I'm also thinking of marking recap movies with not_an_anime = 'recap'

I've alway been annoyed by those recap movies because they straddle the boundary between release and anime. By marking them as not-anime it should reduce confusion and duplication in the anime list, and underline the fact that those movies are kind of second-class citizens.

What do you guys think?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
That's a pretty careful and detailed plan. Thanks, Dan.

Dan42 wrote:
In addition, I'm also thinking of marking recap movies with not_an_anime = 'recap'

I've alway been annoyed by those recap movies because they straddle the boundary between release and anime. By marking them as not-anime it should reduce confusion and duplication in the anime list, and underline the fact that those movies are kind of second-class citizens.

What do you guys think?

While I think those recap movies are uncreative ways to milk more cash from a successful franchise, they should have equal stance as any other independent anime movie, as those are often produced/edited years after the original releases, as well as possible staff/cast changes (such as the Zeta fuss over Four Murasame).

Confusion? There were users started giving Ah! My Goddess (TV) ratings back in 2004, which meant that no matter how "simple" it might be, there would be some people got confused. Rolling Eyes Plus they can't be more confusing than this one. Razz
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:28 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
they should have equal stance as any other independent anime movie

I can't agree with that; I mean, 90% footage re-use is *not* in the same league as original movie animation. If it wasn't for that 10% of new footage it would be just another "special edition" re-release.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:56 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
I can't agree with that; I mean, 90% footage re-use is *not* in the same league as original movie animation. If it wasn't for that 10% of new footage it would be just another "special edition" re-release.

I understand, but methinks the Encyclopedia shall be as technical as possible and shall not be a place to evaluate the creativity of a movie. Like any other movie with independent storyline, those recap movies have respective registry numbers for cataloging in the Japanese counterpart of AMPAS or whatnot (I'll find that out in a few hours...as most anime movies I own are not with me right now). I don't own any of those recap movies personally so I can't give you those registry numbers immediately, but I can find them out if you want. If Japanese AMPAS (for lack of a better term) considers them as independent movies I don't see why ANN shouldn't follow suit.

A quick search on JMDb with "ガンダム" gave me 17 results, including all three (original) Gundam movies listed separately. Oddly, Zeta Gundam movies were not in the database.

Finally, some personal experience: I've only watched a few minutes worth of Zeta Gundam on TV and will probably never have a chance nor willing to rewatch them all due to difficulty of acquisition. However, Zeta Gundam movies are shorter, remastered, readily available, and frankly, more attractive to a person who has no Gundam background like me. It would be really weird if what I saw (or am looking) is no longer considered as anime just because it has next-to-zero originality.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:17 am Reply with quote
You have a good point about J-AMPAS, but to clarify:
1) This has nothing with the originality or quality or merits of the production. Whether a movie is made of recycled footage or not is a simple (but IMHO important) technical question.
2) I don't mean that those movies are "not true anime". Obviously they are anime. I'm just talking about using the not-anime flag to move them to a less conspicuous place since they are redundant. Readers can easily conclude that "Korean movie" is not anime, but "recap movie" has no such connotation. Not to mention that it provides valuable information at a glance ("oh, it's just a recap").
3) They would still be listed as movies, just like on JMDB
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:30 am Reply with quote
I see and I get it now. However, the "not anime but related" category tag may need renaming. Razz

BTW, those registry numbers in my mind were actually EIRIN (映倫, Administration Commission of Motion Picture Code of Ethics, similar to MPAA) numbers. The problem is, I can't even see the number clearly at the end of my TokiKake DVD. Mad This is the first time I realize how crappy the resolution DVD has. The only number I could identify was that of 5cm, which was 117638-T, thanked to its 1280x720 teaser.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2