• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Danganronpa Anime English Dub Cast

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Only 1 member from the games. This dub is already despair.
s0ck

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I haven't even watched the subbed yet. Am I missing out?
macattack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Inb4 the Danganronpa fanbase erupts.

Obviously, FUNimation couldn't work it out with the game cast like they did for the Blazblue and Neptunia casts, or it may have been a creative decision by Christopher Bevins.

The Danganronpa cult fanbase is of a decent size, so it's a bit surprising. However, it looks like Bevins recruited a lot of quality talent for the dub so while the characters will sound different they should still be voiced pretty well. Jamie Marchi voicing Junko is fairly surprising though.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote
s0ck wrote:

You'd be better off playing the first game than watching this anime series. It's not a horrible adaptation, but it's not a particularly good one either.
s0ck

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
s0ck wrote:

You'd be better off playing the first game than watching this anime series. It's not a horrible adaptation, but it's not a particularly good one either.

Then i'll probably just do that instead then, thanks for the heads up!
ani12

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Aw, it's too bad only Makoto's VA is returning; I thought the game had a really good dub. Oh well ,nothing that can be done.

Let's see how these people do.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Only Bryce is back? Huge shame they couldn't get the voices for Celeste and Junko back, but I'm not gonna be watching the anime again anyway. Wasn't terrible, but it was definitely mediocre.

Caitlin as Kyoko and Grelle as Togami can end up sounding absolutely delicious though.
Knight-Hart

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I won't say it'll be bad; I'm sure it'll be a fine dub. If you haven't played the game and know the proper voice actors, that is.

But this is a complete trainwreck for Danganronpa continuity. Honestly, FUNimation should be ashamed of themselves for this farce.

EDIT: Monica Rial as Sayaka? Kill me now, dammit.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Only one member of the game dub returning? J Michael Tatum writing the adaptive script? Add the fact that the original visual novel had enough material for twenty-six episodes and there's only thirteen episodes and...

Yeah, I didn't feel like watching this anime anyway. Oh well. I fervently look forward to the English release of Ultra Despair Girls, though. Bring on Sailors Venus and Jupiter as the leads! Very Happy
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations, Funimation! You've succeeded where Monokuma failed: Bringing me despair!

Brian Beacock IS Monokuma. Erika Harlacher IS Kyoko Kirigiri. Lucien Dodge IS Hifumi Yamada. Kaiji Tang IS Yasuhiro Hagakure. Marieve Herington IS Celestia Ludenberg. Keith Silverstein IS Mondo Owada. Erin Fitzgerald IS Junko Enoshima and spoiler[Genocide Jack]. Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

I'm actually kinda curious as to how Funimation will handle spoiler[Junko's multiple personalities and Toko/Genocide Jack], but still.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
Congratulations, Funimation! You've succeeded where Monokuma failed: Bringing me despair!

Brian Beacock IS Monokuma. Erika Harlacher IS Kyoko Kirigiri. Lucien Dodge IS Hifumi Yamada. Kaiji Tang IS Yasuhiro Hagakure. Marieve Herington IS Celestia Ludenberg. Keith Silverstein IS Mondo Owada. Erin Fitzgerald IS Junko Enoshima and spoiler[Genocide Jack]. Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

I'm actually kinda curious as to how Funimation will handle spoiler[Junko's multiple personalities and Toko/Genocide Jack], but still.

Well, tbh, Beacock's Monokuma and Harlacher's Kyoko aren't even anything special. Glass and Ayres, as much as his voice can irritate me sometimes, will do way better.

Also, Grelle as Togami is perfect casting.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Everything was okay at best until I saw this:

Quote:
Christopher R. Sabat as Mondo Owada

Seriously? Unless he could do a not-so-deep voice for him, I really can`t see him doing even a decent job.

I mean its hard to even listen to him as Hak from akayona`s broadcast dub.

Also for anyone who is curious of the game but doesnt have a vita to play it, you can check out justonegamr`s playthroughs of the game & its sequel
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:30 pm Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
Inb4 the Danganronpa fanbase erupts.

Obviously, FUNimation couldn't work it out with the game cast like they did for the Blazblue and Neptunia casts, or it may have been a creative decision by Christopher Bevins.

The Danganronpa cult fanbase is of a decent size, so it's a bit surprising. However, it looks like Bevins recruited a lot of quality talent for the dub so while the characters will sound different they should still be voiced pretty well.

Yeah, they were on a roll getting back game casts so this is a bit surprising. But the cast looks good.

macattack wrote:
Jamie Marchi voicing Junko is fairly surprising though.

I hope she does well, she's one of my favorites.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Only on ANN would a region-based cast change send about half of the people bothering to reply to this article running for the hills.

Me? I don't care who they got back or who plays who, just so long as they do a good job for someone.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
This is disappointing. Monokuma may have not succeeded at driving me into despair but Funimation sure did. Somehow bringing back Papenbrook actually adds to the disappointment considering he's going to remind me about the game every time he opens his mouth.

I was actually really confident because of what happened with Hyperdimension Neptunia and BlazBlue but I guess you can't win em' all. In fact, this is pretty much the exact opposite of what happened with them. Instead of all but a few people reprising their roles, it's only the few who return this time.

Oh well. At least they got Papenbrook. Plus the cast seems okay for the most part. Grelle could just do his Ginoza voice, Sabat has a history of playing delinquents, Angelle is good at playing cutesy characters like Hina, Justin Cook is good at screaming his head off which is perfect for 'that scene', I don't really have too many complaints about the cast themselves. I'm going to have to hear Ayres as Monokuma before I make a judgement but considering Funimation are a lot better at casting him in roles that fit his vocal range than 'You know who' I trust that they made the right decision.

But as much as I like Caitlin Glass, I am definitely going to miss Harlacher. Even if it was just Papenbrook and Harlacher I would have been happy about this announcement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3