• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Damaged Manga - Paint Chips

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasonOtaku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
Hello - So, recently, i've been collecting Manga and i have noticed that 2 of my volumes have a spot where there is no paint. This has happened because the paper has peeled off. The areas with no paint are really small and are only 5mm wide and 2mm tall. They are placed on the top corner of the manga cover. Does this effect the price that that particular volume of Manga can be sold for? Thanks Anime smile
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Very much depends on how rare they are to begin with, really. If they're really rare, people will probably still pay a good price for them but not as much as a mint condition one. If they're not so rare, you wouldn't get much for them to begin with. You'd be lucky to get half the cover price.
MasonOtaku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Very much depends on how rare they are to begin with, really. If they're really rare, people will probably still pay a good price for them but not as much as a mint condition one. If they're not so rare, you wouldn't get much for them to begin with. You'd be lucky to get half the cover price.

Are they worth to keep in my collection? They're not rare...
MasonOtaku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:

This isn't what i was talking about but is the white patch on the top left bad?

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4lE66H4.jpg?1[/img]
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:51 pm Reply with quote
If the defect bothers you and you can afford to replace the defective volumes, yes, it is bad. If it doesn't bother you or you can't afford to replace them. No, it doesn't effect the reading experience so it is not bad. Which standard applies is entirely up to you. It is your collection, so your rules.
kookykonata

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to have to agree with Alan45 and st_owly on this one. If you are personally collecting manga, then it is up to you on how you thing the condition should be for each volume. To be honest, I would suggest to collect without the intentions to later sell them, because, again, as previously stated, the majority of manga coming out now-a-days are in mass-production, and aren't worth too much. Now if you manage to have your hands on a discontinued volume in the middle of a series but the rest of the series is still being printed, Strawberry 100% vol. 4 for example can run in an upwards of $75, then yes, you may want to attempt to keep the condition nice.
I personally think that if you just put the books back gently inside their appointed resting place when you are finished reading them, then you shouldn't have any real wear and tear issues.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1