• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shueisha, Animate, Kodansha, Kadokawa, Shogakukan Launch Joint Venture to Promote Anime, Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jackanapes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:20 am Reply with quote
Why does this sound like more a matter of money and serving corporate interests and copyrights than actually promoting anime abroad?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:33 am Reply with quote
I think it would be more of worthy investment to try to do this globally since some of the highest non-Japanese manga markets are the US and France.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:49 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I think it would be more of worthy investment to try to do this globally since some of the highest non-Japanese manga markets are the US and France.

IIRC SE asian countries bring in quite a bit more money than any western markets, so it's not odd that they would start in that region.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:08 am Reply with quote
If they did do more of a global scale, region-locking is something to consider big time.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:26 am Reply with quote
What I would give to have a Kinokuniya in my state. It would cut down shipping costs a lot for me when I order from Amazon Japan. But no. India's just too small of a market for this.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:15 am Reply with quote
Well, wanting to provide a way for people other countries to legally acquire content is a good goal and would actually target one of the main reasons for copyright violation: the fact that people want the content but can't otherwise acquire it through legal means. I tend to believe that most customers are willing to go through legal means so long as the industry meets them part way.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what series they specifically aim to use that isn't the big shows like One Piece, Detective Conan, and Shippuden.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote
What needs to be done is a Steam for manga, promotion time is over, what we need are the results as in offering a one stop download/streaming/reading service for anime and manga for both Japan and the West. The piracy issue can be fixed in most markets with their combined effort only if they consider this model.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
What needs to be done is a Steam for manga, promotion time is over, what we need are the results as in offering a one stop download/streaming/reading service for anime and manga for both Japan and the West. The piracy issue can be fixed in most markets with their combined effort only if they consider this model.

Problem is the licensing, translators, etc. They can save $ by seeking scanlators that will do it for free. Also, not all scanlators are "amateur translators" because there are scanlators out there that have good Japanese writing/reading/translation skills. I think it's possible sometimes fan translators could do a better job translating something than the paid "professionals".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1