• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tsutomu Nihei's Blame! Manga Gets Theatrical Anime Adaptation

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:34 am Reply with quote
Great news! I hope they can capture the thrill of the manga for this. The production values should be high too as there were glimpses of the the anime already (although was very short) when Sidonia S2 was airing at the time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MajorZero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:42 am Reply with quote
I would've preferred to watch an adaptation of Biomega, I think from the narrative standpoint it's the best manga Nihei has ever wrote. But since Blame! is pretty much his magnum opus and it's actually never received proper anime adaptation I'll gladly watch it instead.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:36 am Reply with quote
Awesome news! But wait; the manga was re-published in Japan?! I want it here, in English!!! Sad
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote
They certainly teased us long enough and POLYGON finally has it´s first product where the very impressive visuals can be backed up by equally compelling content. (Transformers Prime used to be their best show till now... besides helping Mamoru Oshii´s team out.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Good news.

I wasn't too impressed with Polygon though. But maybe a film budget can make it better.

Though I would've loved a Blame adaptation in the style of that early OVA Web DVD. All grungy and stuff.

A film would probably mean Blame would be more fast paced and may not capture the feel of the lengthy period of time the manga takes place over to highlight the sheer scale of the world, but well, there's no way around it.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! I have confidence Polygon'll do a good job. Sure, the character movement and facial expressions will look jerky, but nobody is expecting Pixar-quality animation. On the other hand, Polygon did a great job with the backgrounds and mechanical stuff. Since Blame has even more of a mechanical/futuristic setting than Sidonia, I at least expect that part to look good.

Merxamers wrote:
Awesome news! But wait; the manga was re-published in Japan?! I want it here, in English!!! Sad

I really hope so. I know Vertical put out a survey or something to see if there was any interest in the manga a couple years back, but they got little response. I'm hoping with the popularity of Sidonia and with this upcoming movie, they reconsider.

jdnation wrote:
Though I would've loved a Blame adaptation in the style of that early OVA Web DVD. All grungy and stuff.

Uh...are you serious? that Blame ONA was terrible, imo. It was just a bunch of still shots and random dialogue thrown together.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:03 pm Reply with quote
POLYGON DOMINATION!

I enjoyed Sidonia, so I know, I'll enjoy this.
gwdone

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
I would've preferred to watch an adaptation of Biomega, I think from the narrative standpoint it's the best manga Nihei has ever wrote. But since Blame! is pretty much his magnum opus and it's actually never received proper anime adaptation I'll gladly watch it instead.

I agree totally with you on Biomega!! I really LOVE that Manga. So haunting. I have the original Blame DVD which I really like, but not the Manga yet. Where I shop I think it's out of print. Anyone know if it's still in circulation in the U.S.?
I have and enjoy Knights of Sidonia enough to get the LE DVD set. After seeing season 2 stream on Netflix, I really want to own a hard copy of it as well. Does anyone have any information on the Season 2 release of Kights?
shuusei

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:23 pm Reply with quote
gwdone wrote:
MajorZero wrote:

I agree totally with you on Biomega!! I really LOVE that Manga. So haunting. I have the original Blame DVD which I really like, but not the Manga yet. Where I shop I think it's out of print. Anyone know if it's still in circulation in the U.S.?
I have and enjoy Knights of Sidonia enough to get the LE DVD set. After seeing season 2 stream on Netflix, I really want to own a hard copy of it as well. Does anyone have any information on the Season 2 release of Kights?

Blame (released by Tokyopop) has long since been Out of Print in the US. Hoping that with this announcement, Vertical will rescue the series (it's a longshot since they don't like licensing series more than 10 years old). And there's no word on Sidonia 2nd season yet.
gwdone

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote
shuusei wrote:
gwdone wrote:
MajorZero wrote:

Blame (released by Tokyopop) has long since been Out of Print in the US. Hoping that with this announcement, Vertical will rescue the series (it's a longshot since they don't like licensing series more than 10 years old). And there's no word on Sidonia 2nd season yet.

Ahhh. Thanks for taking the time to give an update. I'll have my fingers and toes crossed that all of his works that are out of print will be released plus the current and future works will come to fruition. Cheers!
maCSlate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:06 am Reply with quote
Good news, possibly.
Depends if its going to be a real anime or another cgi production.
I'm hoping for the former. But considering that polygon is doing it ,the latter seems to be more likely.
Just have to wait and see I guess.

Still, its always good to see Nihei finally get some credit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1