• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Industry-Favored Colored Pencils Return After Initially Being Discontinued

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omega13

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Would anyone in the know care to explain why those three colors are particularly relevant?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Animators still animate on paper, which is then scanned and digitized for coloring and other effects.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I read this as industry fLavored and was very confused. Still doesn't seem worthwhile to ditch colored pencils all together, even if they aren't exceedingly popular
Badge304

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Read yesterday that only red was being kept. Ordered two dozen of non-repro blue. You sketch out first with that and scanning won't pick it up. You can finish draw/ink right over top of it. Yes, mostly drawing directly on tablet now days but didn't ever want to need those pencils and be unable to have them.
RenimLS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I was one of those that crowdfunded Little Witch Academia 2 and was one of the tiers to receive one of the frames from the movie. You can see some of their use of colored pencils from this scan of the front and photo of the back.

Sorry for the lower quality of the back side, but it needs some back lighting for the lines to show from the front, as there are no lines on the back side.

horseradish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I also read the article title as "Industry Flavored Colored Pencils." What would they taste like? Razz

Last edited by horseradish on Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Horseradish wrote:
I also read the article title as "Industry Flavored Colored Pencils." What would they taste like? Razz
Oh my god, I did the exact same thing and wondered what the hell was going on.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Mitsubishi Pencil's production of colored pencils is not economically viable in a digital world in the midst of a birth decline.

Everything in Japan is about the birth decline these days. Is its effect really that bad and how much is it impacting the anime industry?
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Everything in Japan is about the birth decline these days. Is its effect really that bad and how much is it impacting the anime industry?

Japan's declining birth rate is simultaneously its greatest meme and its most depressing truth.
ommadon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Omega13 wrote:
Would anyone in the know care to explain why those three colors are particularly relevant?

They chose colors that contrast. Blue is the darkest, orange the next lightest, and yellow green the most light. An animator will use different colors to emphasize highlights or cast shadows to guide and help the painters to be consistent. There are other uses, but that is the most common in “cells”.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:35 pm Reply with quote
@RenimLS

I got one of those too. I guess I really didn't look close enough, but those colors do create a distinction between layers and shading on a 2D surface. It is kind of interesting that MItsubishi would discontinue such a popular line, but I didn't even know they made colored pencils, actually. Japan does rock it when it comes to pens though. I've been using the small Pentels for years, with Faber Castell PITTs and Prismacolor pencils.

Interesting piece of news. I like articles like these posted on this site. It is an nice change of pace from usual anime/manga blurbs and still relevant. Thanks.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:38 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I didn't know Mitsubishi made colored pencils either. That's interesting.

Me, I've been using Prismacolor. They seem to sell decently enough that every art supply store and even just plain old big department store chains like Target have at least the sets.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:35 am Reply with quote
WashuTakahashi wrote:
I read this as industry fLavored and was very confused. Still doesn't seem worthwhile to ditch colored pencils all together, even if they aren't exceedingly popular

I saw the same thing yesterday.

Yeah, it seems that the color pencils still have that charm that made the animation industry what it was way back when. Of the many artbooks that I've collected back during the 80's you see the pencil work all throughout telling the staff where colors go.
I'm actually surprised that this method is still being used in some circles.

I would love to see a column on the in's and outs of animation.
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I'm actually surprised that this method is still being used in some circles.

I would love to see a column on the in's and outs of animation.

Paper & pencil method is the preferred method of most Japanese studios even though some studios are trying to make transition from traditional drawing method to digital drawing method.

In's & out's? I thought Shirobako did more than enough for production side.
Desa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Does Japan not have more than one colored-pencil manufacturer? What am I missing here?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2