• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yo-kai Watch Tops Star Wars in Attendance, But Not at Japanese Box Office

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:18 pm Reply with quote
So do movie tickets cost differently depending on the day of the week you buy them or something? How does a movie sell more tickets but get less box office gross?
Brack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:57 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
So do movie tickets cost differently depending on the day of the week you buy them or something? How does a movie sell more tickets but get less box office gross?

You offer the film in formats with inflated prices 3D, imax etc.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

J-movie theaters have special discount days and times as well. If you catch a late show (usually after 8pm), the ticket price usually drops. This is a good option if you don’t mind staying out a bit late. For the ladies, many theatre chains offer a discount every Wednesday, Ladies’ Day.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Huh, so it's the opposite of theaters around here, which are discounted if you get there early.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:24 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

I saw one really famous theater chain in Tokyo jacking up the prices of the tickets of Star Wars to a "special price" of 2000 yen a ticket. Considering it's one of the main theater chains in Japan, that probably affected its box office success. People didn't have a choice.
http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/8405148.html
Xagor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Also, I think Yokai Watch would probably have more discounted kids tickets, which could contribute to the difference?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:49 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Huh, so it's the opposite of theaters around here, which are discounted if you get there early.

People can't be late for work early morning, and the last trains stop at midnight?

Xagor wrote:

Also, I think Yokai Watch would probably have more discounted kids tickets, which could contribute to the difference?

Kids get discounted, but they always bring extra tickets with them - the parents.

mewpudding101 wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

I saw one really famous theater chain in Tokyo jacking up the prices of the tickets of Star Wars to a "special price" of 2000 yen a ticket. Considering it's one of the main theater chains in Japan, that probably affected its box office success. People didn't have a choice.
http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/8405148.html

If they can charge $350 for Blu-Ray, they can charge anything and people will take it. Laughing
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:16 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

If they can charge $350 for Blu-Ray, they can charge anything and people will take it. Laughing
As I said, when there's only one or two routes, you don't exactly have a choice. Japanese movie theaters charge huge amounts for tickets (normal price is 1500 yen ~ 1800 yen = 15 ~ 18 bucks), so to have an increased price for a super popular movie will get that movie up in the box office.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:39 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

As I said, when there's only one or two routes, you don't exactly have a choice. Japanese movie theaters charge huge amounts for tickets (normal price is 1500 yen ~ 1800 yen = 15 ~ 18 bucks), so to have an increased price for a super popular movie will get that movie up in the box office.

Well that too, but my point also was that they charge so much for home video that those raised theater prices are still relatively cheap! Laughing

(As for your point, one can say it's supply and demand - demand is huge while supply is finite, so they can charge at a higher price point even when there's competition from other theaters. So, the higher price is just a reflection of the higher demand.)

Happy Festivus, everyone!

But if ya don't have anyone Xmas Eve, consider this Italian restaurant instead:

Kutsu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:09 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Tickets are cheaper for kids and seniors so movies with a large kid and senior demographic will have a cheaper average ticket price than movies with an adult demographic. Not to mention 3D and IMAX which further increase the difference and inflate the gross.

In addition, every Wednesday in Japan is 'Ladies Day' box-office wise with tickets being off 50% for women.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1