• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Yakuza 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I'd enjoy this review if the Naruto Shippuden Omakase ad didn't cut off the right side of the screen :I
MajorZero

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Or a parallel universe, maybe, a reminder of that early-00s promise of what adventure games could become, before Bethesda and Ubisoft transmuted everything around them into a treadmill of statistical gains and minimap checklists.

I didn't know that TES and Fallout (both of which existed way before original Yakuza came out on PS2) are adventure games. If author played RPG without "treadmill of statistical gains" I'm curious to know what it was.

Speaking of the game, I think Y5 is probably the best part of the series which came out on PS3, unfortunately it's a far cry from original and second installment. With every new game it becomes more apparent that Nagoshi and his team ran out of ideas. Plot gradually becoming less and less interesting and coherent, genuinely good twists replaced by overcomplicated narrative, it kills pacing. Half of the protagonists sub-stories poorly linked to the main plot (Shinada being the biggest offender). Much fuss was made about new engine, yet, the game looks nearly identical to Y3 and Y4. Overall, I still think it's a solid game and definitely the best Yakuza on PS3, but it's time for the series to bring some innovation to the old formula.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Ga Gotoku 0 is the best.
Makeinu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:57 am Reply with quote
Dave, your sense of humor and eye for detail are much appreciated. It's heartening to find someone with a deeper insight into the mechanics and clichés of this medium than the IGN/Gamespot crowd, where you just know that neither writing nor thinking about stuff are their true callings.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1