• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dōkyūsei/Classmates Boys-Love Anime Film Tops 100 Million Yen

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:35 pm Reply with quote
So how many ladies wet their pants throwing money at the screen?
RitsuLaw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

Were you trying to be funny? Here, pat pat, good work pal Rolling Eyes
More importantly, I'm pleasantly surprised at how well this movie went saleswise. I didn't read the manga for lack of time, but I heard good things about it, and I found Nakamura's other works (Barairo no Hoho no Koro in particular) very fascinating and unique. It'll be nice if they adapted the sequels too.
fencer_x

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how this compares to 2014's BL anime movie 'Sekaiichi Hatsukoi - Yokozawa Takafumi no Baai'. It made just over half Doukyuusei's 34 million in its opening weekend (19 million yen), but was only showing on less than a third the number of screens (9, to Doukyuusei's 30).

Then again, Nakamura Shungiku is a much more popular mangaka (bafflingly...), and I feel like there was a lot more hype for that movie. I'd be interested in seeing how they compare in the long run, though, since AFAIK these are the only two BL anime movies that have been released in theaters, right...?
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:26 pm Reply with quote
It was a good movie. It was a tad bland and predictable, and I found the moments of conflict less than gripping, but still appropriate to the story that was actually being told. It was a bit too clean and easy, though, and the few erotically-charged moments there were were really good and made me wish they behaved like the teenagers they were a bit more often.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Already planning my third viewing since they added more bonuses and I still have an advanced ticket that I haven't used.

I've got extras of the B and D clear bookmarks if anyone wants to trade. I'm especially looking for design A (Sajou).
Yullenator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
(happy tears)

If only Double Mints could ever be animated... (impossible. damn censorship.)
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
Nice! Good job for a BL movie! I'm a not a BL fan but I'm happy for BL fans and for this movie!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
RitsuLaw wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

Were you trying to be funny? Here, pat pat, good work pal Rolling Eyes
More importantly, I'm pleasantly surprised at how well this movie went saleswise. I didn't read the manga for lack of time, but I heard good things about it, and I found Nakamura's other works (Barairo no Hoho no Koro in particular) very fascinating and unique. It'll be nice if they adapted the sequels too.

Yep, I was serious at what I said. Because (as a woman) I'm not afraid to say what's on my mind. If I can make a joke about wanting male bulges being drawn over panties then I can make a joke about women wetting their pants over romance media of any kind. After all we're all adults here and there is nothing to be ashamed of. Considering that BL's is dominated by the female demographic folks have already pointed to this before. Especially in Japan with all their funjoshi creators. Wink

But anyway, I'm impressed at seeing a film of this nature garner so much money. I'm not into BL work (as it's not really my cup of tea), but I have seen a couple. But this is a first for me seeing a BL's film rake in close to 1 million US dollars. If there are any other BL films (not OVAs) that have ever been made that I didn't hear about I'd be curious to know their box office numbers.
Aisama

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:58 pm Reply with quote
That's great news!! I'm very happy to hear a BL anime does very well in the theater.

Personally, I really enjoy this story a lot. Calm and cute, with the right amount of flare to make it interesting. =D Of course Kamiyan and NojiKen really brings out the character well!
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
But anyway, I'm impressed at seeing a film of this nature garner so much money. I'm not into BL work (as it's not really my cup of tea), but I have seen a couple. But this is a first for me seeing a BL's film rake in close to 1 million US dollars. If there are any other BL films (not OVAs) that have ever been made that I didn't hear about I'd be curious to know their box office numbers.

I think Doukyuusei has a lower entry barrier. I've seen guys in the theater. Granted, they were likely with a girlfriend, but the fact that they agreed to come along at all I think is pretty big. I don't remember seeing any guys, even if they were with a girlfriend, watching Sekaiichi Hatsukoi ~Yokozawa no Baai~. I also know several people who are not into bl but either like Doukyuusei or were interested enough in it to go watch.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:30 am Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

I think Doukyuusei has a lower entry barrier. I've seen guys in the theater. Granted, they were likely with a girlfriend, but the fact that they agreed to come along at all I think is pretty big. I don't remember seeing any guys, even if they were with a girlfriend, watching Sekaiichi Hatsukoi ~Yokozawa no Baai~. I also know several people who are not into bl but either like Doukyuusei or were interested enough in it to go watch.

LOL. That is pretty funny. Gals dragging their dates. It's interesting because here you'd have to get both people to see 'Titanic' but I'd never think of a couple going to see an animated BL flick.

I did have to look up the numbers and compare them to other features. 1 mil is low when compared to raking in say $40-$60 mil. But that is still good. Actually I had to compare the numbers with say Eva, just to translate the yen amount just to get an idea.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1