• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Macross Delta Anime Slated to Premiere on April 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
This is the news I've been waiting for!
sdsichero
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Sadly we won't be seeing this in the US. Sad

Thanks HG. Mad
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't think we'll be as good, just because it's Macross. Don't get me wrong, I'm die-hard Macross fan, but this screams "Mash-up of popular Otaku culture, look at me!"

The picture reminds me of a J-Pop Band poster than thing for a scifi show.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
I don't think we'll be as good, just because it's Macross. Don't get me wrong, I'm die-hard Macross fan, but this screams "Mash-up of popular Otaku culture, look at me!"

Yeah, the preview episode was disturbingly similar to Symphogear. I'm still giving it a chance though, as Shoji Kawamori is still at the helm. Macross Frontier started off awful, and that got great.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Macross Frontier started off awful, and that got great.

Awful? What? Not from what I saw, it started off fantastic and stayed that way for about 7 episodes. That first episode especially (BD final version) is tremendously powerful for introduction and music. I'd say the show then begins to struggle once you get to Sheryl's panty chase, and only becomes great again once the main plot and third act kick in.

Watch it again.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:

Macross has always been like that, though. Delta is pretty much following suit.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Wrangler wrote:

Macross has always been like that, though. Delta is pretty much following suit.

Yeah but the singers weren't characters fighting on the battlefield. The magical girl transformations are also pretty ridiculous.

Last edited by v1cious on Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:34 am; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:47 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Yeah but the singers weren't chsracters fighting on the battlefield. The magical girl transformations are also pretty ridiculous.

Pretty sure Basara and the rest of Fire Bomber were on the battlefield, like almost every recycled footage episode.

I feel some trepidation going forward after looking back at some of the music videos for Frontier, there's just no possible way that what Kanno did is going to be topped, even so far as the incidental music. That stuff helped out and defined Frontier tremendously, she's been with Macross since Plus and without her I think the franchise might be taking a big step backwards.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:47 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Yeah but the singers weren't chsracters fighting on the battlefield. The magical girl transformations are also pretty ridiculous.

Jokes aside, I'm really excited to see where Delta goes. I liked the PV episode enough that I spent the last few months basically mainlining the whole franchise Anime hyper. IMO Delta has a lot of promise and I hope it focuses on the fun side of Macross than Frontier did.
bacondreamer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
I watched the teaser episode one and by the end of the show the only thing that was going through my head was "Holy crap, they just turned AKB0048 into Macross"
Sergorn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
bacondreamer wrote:
I watched the teaser episode one and by the end of the show the only thing that was going through my head was "Holy crap, they just turned AKB0048 into Macross"

And considering AKB0048 was essentially Macross-in-everything-but-name, that's actually very fitting. Lots of people scoffs at 0048 because of the AKBs but... that's actually a really good series (Kawamori + Mari Okada I mean come on...) very much in tone with everything Kawamori has been doing in the last 30 years so... Delta feels like the logical next step for the Macross franchise.

-Sergorn
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Yeah but the singers weren't characters fighting on the battlefield. The magical girl transformations are also pretty ridiculous.

You must have missed a tiny tiny part of the Macross franchise. A little series knowns as Macross 7. Laughing

Remember Heart and Soul. Twisted Evil
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
The magical girl transformations, the running around a live battlefield on foot performing, and the Valkyries pulling off a little choreographed dance number it was all pretty freaking ridiculous. I have watched the original Macross, Macross Plus, and Frontier. This new show has definitely gone far away from the beginning shows but even Frontier never went this far with this shit. Sheryl and Ranka never ran around a battlefield on foot performing. That show seemed to find a balance this show seems to have gone off the deep end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1