• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress Gets MMORPG in China

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drunk

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:07 am Reply with quote
Sounds like the same "rules" that banned Attack on Titan and several other anime a couple of months ago...
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:40 am Reply with quote
It'll be tough for Anime Producers to capitalize on that market with such stringent content laws in place. I hope they don't start trying to tailor their work to what is acceptable there... that would be bad for everyone. Especially the artists themselves. I know it's a huge market and the money that China can provide is extremely valuable, but I would hate to see things watered down for everyone just because of their silly government.
On the other hand, the MMORPG sounds interesting. The two parts of this article seem somewhat unrelated at first, but I guess the game is sort of supposed to make up for the loss of the anime?
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Can ANN please stop stating that Kabaneri is streaming worldwide? It's only available in 5 countries.
Shirohae

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
lol I love the anime and I wanna see how this turns out
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious as to what are those "rules" that prevent the airing of the show, and yet are OK with a game that is based on said show to be released.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Probably the anime distribution over there was halted due to the same reason of being China and Japan's relationship isn't exactly all rose and sweets.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:08 am Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
Probably the anime distribution over there was halted due to the same reason of being China and Japan's relationship isn't exactly all rose and sweets.

But wouldn't that make the game just as big of a problem? If they are going to cut off a single anime because of a strained political relationship, you'd think they would cut off ALL anime and definitely not greenlight a game.

Hameyadea wrote:
I'm curious as to what are those "rules" that prevent the airing of the show, and yet are OK with a game that is based on said show to be released.

Considering other content that has been streamed there just fine, I'm guessing it's specific lines in the series, or something about the message that is deemed inappropriate for consumption. I haven't seen most of this series yet, but if the first episode was okay to stream, I don't really see graphic visuals being the issue.
KilluaX3

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:59 am Reply with quote
Drunk wrote:
Sounds like the same "rules" that banned Attack on Titan and several other anime a couple of months ago...

Year ago...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:47 am Reply with quote
While I'm not into MMORPGs this could be an interesting project. Seems the show is really inspiring fans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1