• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Space Patrol Luluco

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:06 am Reply with quote
Now Imma let you finish, but the Kill la Kill episode was the greatest episode of all time.
Nyron

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:19 am Reply with quote
Anyone who thinks this isn't the best anime of the year is actually insane. Everything about it was literally perfect.

I bet the reviewer liked Kiznaiver unironically
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:36 am Reply with quote
A little late don't you think, having been streaming since April? Also, this work is the result of the same trio that made Inferno Cop and Sex and Violence with Machspeed with Hiromi Wakabayashi, Shigeta Koyama, not just Imaishi-san. I get such a kick out of animators referencing their other works or those of others and this has that in spades, along with a lot of quick commentary on things like the "bots" for search engines where anything you type in will spawn a group of references to sites purporting to sell that, often with humorous results. This leads to the "middle third" The Creamer refers to, but there is plenty to like in all that too and in fact, it sets up a key concept of the last few episodes that Ogikubo is spoiler[an archetype of home and togetherness that is found throughout the universe]. Also impressive is that in ~5 minutes per episode it produces a full dramatic story arc which catches the viewer's interest and delivers a satisfying non-ending. Loved every split second of this and the ED is one of the best songs I've heard in a while and very fitting of the theme. Where was all that in the review huh? The Creamer might be a Blackholean, or as Midori-chan abbreviates it...
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:30 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
A little late don't you think, having been streaming since April?

Yes, but it finished two weeks ago.

This is really weird...I just binge-watched the show last night! I very much enjoyed it, though I'm not familiar with all of Trigger's work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WingKing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
Basically 100% in agreement with my own viewing experience. Loved the beginning, liked the end, but the middle really dragged. Normally I like referential humor, but in this case it didn't work for me.

Luluco also had my favorite ED of the year so far - I really liked that song.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:00 pm Reply with quote
From this talkback thread, you'd think that the reviewer hated the show or something. Since when is a B- bad?

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Where was all that in the review huh?

Virtually every single point you bring up, the review addresses. You might not agree with the reviewer's opinions, but don't pretend that he didn't perform due diligence.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
The Creamer

I'm just going to come right out and say that when people call Nick Creamer this, it automatically makes me take them less seriously. I've seen it pop up a lot in ANN talkback threads recently, and it makes our community look kind of gross, you guys.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the cameo arc. Luluco's middle third is largely consumed by episodic visits to other Trigger shows, where the joke is mostly just “hey, here's another Trigger show.” These episodes both waste Luluco's existing cast and fail to justify their own presence - they're not only not funny, they also bring Luluco's own narrative momentum to a halt.
I thought those were the best part of the show aside from the climax. It's like we are watching the show for the plot, so it's not like they are taking anything away from the show.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:17 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
From this talkback thread, you'd think that the reviewer hated the show or something. Since when is a B- bad?

In Achievertown, that's nearly a failing grade.
Actar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
The cameo episodes, in my opinion, is what made this show and were the backbone of the entire piece. Luluco was about "a girl's first love" sure, but it was more importantly the set-up for the the studio's very own dimension-hopping mascot character, Trigger-chan. She has been the studio's mascot character even before this show and this was a great origin story for her.

What I'm looking more forward to is what they plan to do with the character. I personally love dimension-hopping characters like those from Kamen Rider Decade or xxxHolic, so I'll be keeping my eye out for her again in the future.

Last edited by Actar on Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Completely agree, liked the beginning, kinda got bored with the whole "stealing the neighborhood" arc and dropped it when it immediately went into cross-over arc. Those were really weird, it came off as imaginatively bankrupt "what do we do now?! Hummmm let's just rehash our old material", with a hint of being mostly an infomercial.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:47 pm Reply with quote
@BodaciousSpacePirate Nick named Luluco his "worst" anime of the season, I imagine Hiroki didn't read the review and went with the assumption that he trashed the show. To be honest, I would've imagined the same if I hadn't checked the scores at the bottom.

I do have to wonder why they'd give this review to the one member of the staff who didn't like the show. I'm not saying reviews have to cater to the wider audience's taste, but since this show is unlikely to get any more reviews in the future to contrast different opinions, it's a little frustrating that this'll be the only one we have. Guess we'll have to cross fingers for it to get a physical release so it can get different reviews
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that passive-agresssive rant was really unneeded.

There are certainly points I don't agree with the reviewer here, because I found Luluco to be funny almost every episode except for one, and that it was correctly animated for what it intended to portray. But seriously, there was no need to attack him.

---

So, I'm actually the type that loves cameo in shows, especially when the studio is auto-referrencing itself. I didn't feel like they were dragging me to watch that string of 4-5 episodes of auto-reference episodes, because not only I've watched the shows it's referencing, but I found that the insertion is pretty good.

Going one by one: the Kill la Kill episode was probably the best done in this arc (not my favourite, my favourite one was the one before this arc started), since it's not actually taking Satsuki and Ryuuko to come and have fun with Luluco, it's actually a take on what happened with Life Fibers, it expands a little on the world and it actually had a cool animation segment, also it lets Luluco to be more vocal on her feelings, even without being particularly funny. The LWA episode was much funnier, since Sucy is funny as hell, it's literally a gloomier Midori, everytime I hear the "Life ain't that easy" joke I laugh, and I also love the overdramatization of Luluco's non-death. The Sex and Violence with Machspeed was, by far, the worst in this arc and in the whole series, since to me the only funny thing about this is Machspeed's speech quirk, and the morale this story leaves with us could have been handled by any other character. The Inferno Cop episode was decent enough, it was not intended to be particularly funny (though the chairman still makes me laugh when he shouts "Justice is a miracle!").

All the other funny tidbits are obvious, Luluco's cast always makes me laugh, but that's not in SPITE of the animation, it's BECAUSE of it. The dynamic of the jokes and one-liners are partly deliverd by the cartoonish presentation of it. Heck, the fact that the chairman isn't even three-dimensional made me laugh, as if he wasn't funny enough.

Plus, maybe some animation highlights went unnoticed: 1 2 3 not that many, but not invisible either.
Koda89

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
The reference episodes were crucial to this show as they basically tell us there is a unified Trigger multiverse, this is now literally canon. Any and all original Trigger works are part of this insane web of series and the thing that connects them all is Trigger-chan. This show was Trigger-chan's origin story.
OrangeVision

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I totally get how one could see the cameo episodes as masturbatory, but really, the Kill la Kill episode's "I'M JUST GONNA BURN MYSELF THEN" was the funniest joke in the whole show.
I don't really even care about KLK that much. It was funny episode on its own merits.
Muffum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm basically in total agreement with this review. I thought the KLK episode was fine on its own, both as in "it's entertaining regardless of one's familiarity with KLK" and "it's entertaining as a one-off episode if the series had just gone on its way afterward." But then the following two crossover episodes killed my interest in the show so thoroughly, that it's a point in the show's credit that it managed to make me care about the finale at all after that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3