• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Puyo's The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan Spinoff Manga Ends

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HueyLion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:38 am Reply with quote
No one? Well I guess this has been a fine ride, always like my Nagato quiet and moe and prefer my Haruhi when she's less arrogant, annoying and bossy =)
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:24 am Reply with quote
I gave up on this series early (like shortly after where the the anime's story cut off), because it just kept getting too tedious and redundant (still better than Shinji Raising Project, though). I decided I was content with just the anime, but I'll be curious to look up to see how the manga ends, and maybe I'll give it another chance later.
chito895

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:51 am Reply with quote
Hopefully it'll have a happy ending and not a bullshitty ending like the anime.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:04 am Reply with quote
I'll be interested in how it ends. spoiler[Asahina and Tsuruya graduating in volume 9 seemed to indicate that the manga probably won't be going much longer. Not to mention the fact that Kyon and Yuki finally got together in volume 8. I'm interested in seeing what'll happen with Asakura in this final volume, given the teaser about her possibly moving to Canada at the end of volume 9.]

Anyway, can we get Tanigawa to finally write another actual Haruhi novel yet?
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:11 am Reply with quote
Well cant wait to read the ending of this when ever it will be released in the US
HuuskerDu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:23 am Reply with quote
I thought that Satelight did a pretty good job with their adaptation of the manga given the material they had to work with. They heightened the emotion, added depth, and downplayed Nagato while emphasizing Haruhi as much as they could. (She got so much screen time they should have given her co-billing.)

The animators at Satelight were obviously big Haruhi Suzumiya fans who knew the source material very well, and their love really showed with all the added little bits they tossed in that connected back to the original series for fans to spot. For example, the book that Nagato pulled out in the manga is titled Capture, but in the anime it was Dan Simmons' Hyperion (1989). Fans of The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya will recognize the latter book as the one that the original Nagato had hidden the bookmark for Kyon to find. There are lots of other nods to the original series scattered all over the adapation that don't appear in the manga.

The VAs showed their love too by faithfully returning to reprise their roles after 7+ years. Both the VAs and Satelight went all-out with the amnesia arc (the best part of the manga), and they blew their budget to make it as tender and as heart-wrenchingly sad as they possibly could. Episodes 10-13 felt like a continuation of DHS, where the violin-piano duet brought back back the wistful and melancholy mood of the film, and the buildup of Claude Debussy's Claire de Lune underscored Nagato's rising emotions on the train.

Now that the manga has ended I expect that there is enough new material to do a second cour with a proper ending, but I doubt we'll see one as I suspect the sales won't justify it.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:01 pm Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:
Anyway, can we get Tanigawa to finally write another actual Haruhi novel yet?

The last book may not have said "The End" at the end, but it still very much felt like an ending. That was the exact sense I was getting in the last few pages when Kyon was meeting with each supporting character during his last walk up the hill to school, and in retrospect the climax really felt like something the entire series had been building up to with its characters and themes, while offering hints to what lingering elements will fill the gaps and tie in the characters' future, spoiler[particularly the highly suggestive future between Kyon and Haruhi]. Even Tanigawa in his afterword talked along the lines of "it has been a long journey". It was actually a very fitting conclusion, and the only reason I can think of why so many fans don't recognize Surprise as the last book is because they simply don't want to, which is understandable enough on its own. It may not be as popular as it once was, but Haruhi Suzumiya is still a great interesting series on its own, and here's looking forward to getting the ultimate blu-ray set.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:35 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
the only reason I can think of why so many fans don't recognize Surprise as the last book is because they simply don't want to

While some could lean that way, I remember there being a lot of people thinking Surprise isn't the end of the series due to an interview in a fan magazine. Apparently, Tanigawa said he was going to be doing another volume.

Personally, Surprise was a good end for me. Felt like Kyon meeting spoiler[college-age Haruhi and narrowly missing out of seeing an older version of himself]...pretty much gave me the ending I wanted for the main series.

On Yuki-chan, I'm a massive fan, and said to see that it will be ending sometime next year (if the Japanese volume comes out next Feb, English volume will probably be April/May). Yuki-chan was the 2nd manga series I started to collect, and I got it as when the English release had started, I had just finished watching the Haruhi anime. And, loved the Yuki we saw in the Disappearance movie.

With the developments in 8 and 9, I'd say this series will have a hard time leaving me dissatisfied with it's ending.

Would love a 2nd season of the anime, but I'm not sure what the chances of that are happening. Still, enjoyed what was adapted, and look forward to being able to add it to my Haruhi collection. The only Haruhi related stuff I've not gotten, in manga or anime form, are the Haruhi-chan stuff.

I may get around to that soon.
limmaestro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:12 pm Reply with quote
HuuskerDu wrote:
The animators at Satelight were obviously big Haruhi Suzumiya fans who knew the source material very well, and their love really showed with all the added little bits they tossed in that connected back to the original series for fans to spot. For example, the book that Nagato pulled out in the manga is titled Capture, but in the anime it was Dan Simmons' Hyperion (1989). Fans of The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya will recognize the latter book as the one that the original Nagato had hidden the bookmark for Kyon to find. There are lots of other nods to the original series scattered all over the adapation that don't appear in the manga.

As someone who basically grew up with the Haruhi series, I was very much surprised when I heard about this adaptation. My first reaction was, "why are they adapting this spin-off rather than a proper season 3," but I was exhilarated each time I saw how cleverly they made the references to the original series.

HuuskerDu wrote:
Episodes 10-13 felt like a continuation of DHS, where the violin-piano duet brought back back the wistful and melancholy mood of the film, and the buildup of Claude Debussy's Claire de Lune underscored Nagato's rising emotions on the train.

What made me happier, though, was how this series went beyond being a mere spin-off and offered its own brand of "melancholy," just as you described nicely. I couldn't help but feel a pang of nostalgia for the DHS film.

Can't wait to complete my Nagato-chan collection once the last volume comes out (and the ultimate Blu-ray collection, of course!).

Happy 10th anniversary of the Haruhi series!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1