• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Danganronpa 3 (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:27 am Reply with quote

Danganronpa 3 (TV)

Genres: Mystery, School
Themes:

Plot Summary: Taking place immediately after the events of Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair, the story focuses on Makoto Naegi and his friends Kyoko Kirigiri, Yasuhiro Hagakure and Aoi Asahina and serves as a conclusion to the storyline of Hope's Peak Academy, the elite school that played host to the evil Monokuma's "killing school life". The story will also introduce several new characters.
----------------------------------

Recently announced that it will air both arcs simultaneously in July.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Huh they used some rather eerie music for the theme songs.

Idk how I feel about the episode tbh, it just starts off weird. However, I am glad that they reintroduced some of the more familiar characters from the franchise including Naegi and Kirigiri. Animation remains pretty much similar from what I remember although the setting is quite different. Definitely curious to see how the story will progress with this as there's a diverse range of characters. Monokuma is still pretty silly to watch.

Looks like Future Foundation will be a major focus and we already got a first victim heh
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I do not think I will be watching this one, as this is just a commercial for the games, and if you are wondering where the hell is Danganronpa 2 well it's a video game.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Not gonna lie, when I saw Peko jump in to protect Fuyuhiko in the beginning...EPIC!

Also, during that flood of characters in the beginning, caught a glimpse of the Warriors of Hope, which isn't too surprising - I'm fairly certain that the villain this time around is the man walking away in the epilogue of Ultra Despair Girls, under the guidance of Junko, of course. Very excited about this! Would love to see Komaru and Toko during this arc :p

As for the episode itself, nothing amazing, but as a fan of the series I'll definitely watch until the end.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Should we refer to this as the second season of the Danganronpa anime?

I think that I can follow it if they give enough references to what might have happened between the anime. But isn't Monokuma a little different, like missing a level of charisma? Maybe I got the weird thought in my head that the villain is one of the group first introduced and kind of zoned in to think the old guy was likely. Monokuma did use the word "millennials".

Honestly I have not got much of a opinion from this first episode. I am really not one for excessive violence and blood, so chances are that I will lose interest at points.
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:47 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 1
Should we refer to this as the second season of the Danganronpa anime?

Technically yes, but they are covering topics covered in Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair the video game. Like said this anime is first and foremost a vehicle for selling the game and secondly an animation.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Cyberd1 wrote:
Like said this anime is first and foremost a vehicle for selling the game and secondly an animation.

The same could be said about virtually every anime based on an ongoing shonen manga series or a video game franchise. For example, there are a lot of shows that will only get a second season if they increase sales of the source material. That doesn't make them good or bad, it's just a fact of the industry.

At least this series covers parts of the story that will never make it into the games themselves. I'm also not sure how much of an ad for the games this show is going to be; so far, the story is virtually indecipherable if you haven't already finished the final act of Danganronpa 2.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:14 am Reply with quote
Even more confusing is that there are apparently two Danganronpa 3 seasons running during the same period.

Despair arc, Episode 1

Well I like a bunch of the quirky characters.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:52 am Reply with quote
Mirai (Future arc) episode 2:

What a strange game they're playing..

While the mystery part doesn't feel familiar from the original season, I still get a bit of the thriller feel. Really curious about the rest of the Future Foundation members though. Also, Monokuma is literally playing mind games with these kids. Glad to see that Kirigri is still on top of her game with her intellect so far.

The OP song is decent, ED theme song is quite eerie, and I think in general, this arc is much more serious than the other one.
Morning Blue

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:00 am Reply with quote
I was not prepared for the ending of The End of Hope's Peak Academy 2. I kinda saw it coming, but I still hoped it wouldn't happen. ARGH!

Yeah, this series is pretty good at getting you to feel emotions by watching it, even if they're not necessarily good ones.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:16 am Reply with quote
future arc, Episode 2

Could kind of see who was likely to be killed, but really hoped that it wouldn't be. For spoiler[Asahina to have survived up till now only to] die.

Was white haired guy's rule being he could not move without his sword, only move a certain amount, or maybe just cannot open doors?
Treeborn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:40 am Reply with quote
The girl in the wheel chair is definitely Monaca, right? From the Warriors of Hope. We know she survived Ultra Despair Girls. And it would explain how she was able to find Asahina, as well as her computer expertise. Plus, the chair.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:03 am Reply with quote
Dangan Ronpa Despair arc episode 2:

Yeah, this is much more lighthearted compared to the Future Arc. I feel like the story is poorly developed so far but does introduce the characters' personalities fairly well. Speaking of which, I got a bad vibe about that transfer girl at the end...

The aphoristic stuff felt really lewd and awkward lol
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:55 am Reply with quote
Future arc, Episode 7

What a red herring that was. That we were being led who the mastermind was, was totally someone just screwing around. Episode focuses in both series has kind of made me specifically have a theory about who it actually is, and I think that it is Ryota. My suspicion raised when we were finally shown in the Despair arc that the ultimate imposter had been pretending to be him, I actually had not even realised that the name of the tubby person in Despair arc was supposed to be the same guy in Future arc, which probably comes down to really putting no effort into remembering all the names.

From what I understand, all the people in the class became the Remnants of Despair, and apparently Naegi letting them go was some sin. But Ryota was technically meant to be part of that class, even if as we saw, he did not attend classes. Strangely the recent episode of Despair arc actually ended with Junko meeting Ryota and seeing something, which makes it odder that what she is going to pull on the others is not on him. That him following Kirigiri around, the one most likely to figure out who the killer is, kind of makes it even more of an interesting theory that that he is actually behind it all. But I also think that it is not just necessarily a part of him just being evil.

Recent episodes of Despair arc have with his actual introduction focused his obsession with creating the ultimate anime filled with hope. Which makes me think, could the Future arc simply be this ultimate work? I have been thinking that it would be a crazy twist to reveal that he created the entire killing game as a means of creating an ultimate work filled with hope, and he is streaming it across the world. I could take that steps forward and theorise that maybe everything that happened with the first season and all is just one big "anime" of Ryota trying to create hope, but maybe that would be going too far. It does make me think that the warning that was given that someone from the original killing game is about to die because of Naegi, is like an act of raising the stakes of this project filled with hope.

I am quite likely very wrong, and if so my entire post is just filled with nonsense, but this has just been what I have been thinking of so far watching both these shows.
Iemander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Btw, guys, this anime isn't for promoting the games.

It's actually replacing the storyline meant for Danganronpa 3 as a continuation of Danganronpa 1 and 2.

Danganronpa 3 is actually a game that's coming out. But it will have nothing to do storyline wise with the other titles. I figure the game developers became bored with the ongoing story and started off with something entirely new, leaving wrapping up the storyline of the first two games to this anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2