• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Thirty Years Ago: The Best Anime of 1986

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HdE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:16 am Reply with quote
Maaaaan... articles like this one always leave me with bittersweet, conflicted feelings. I mean, on the one hand, I feel really fortunate to have either seen or own in my collection some of the shows mentioned. On the other, I feel pangs of regret over the ones I don't have.

I missed out on ADV's release of Megazone 23, and that REALLY sticks in my craw. The show's evidently a classic. I'd love to see it re-released.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:19 am Reply with quote
Gall Force - Eternal Story, Project A-ko, and the Dirty Pair movie; 1986 was a truly blessed year.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:32 am Reply with quote
I was born in 1986 (turned 30 this January 5th) so it is interesting to see what came out the year I was born I actually saw Project A-Ko before I even knew what Anime was or is. I simply thought it was this odd little entertaining thing that my local Blockbuster had.
danshi_boy3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:45 am Reply with quote
As a Brazilian, I'm always really impressed to see that there is no unanimity on Saint Seiya in the world.
Here Saint Seiya was as big as Dragon Ball in the 1990s, and even in reruns of the 2000s had good indices on TV
Read "Saint Seiya is mostly BL fandom", even for me, a gay fudanshi boy who wrote a lot of SS Yaoi fanfic, it's funny, because most straight boys from Brazil (and Latin America) grew up watching Saint Seiya.
Surprised
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:58 am Reply with quote
danshi_boy3 wrote:
As a Brazilian, I'm always really impressed to see that there is no unanimity on Saint Seiya in the world.
Here Saint Seiya was as big as Dragon Ball in the 1990s, and even in reruns of the 2000s had good indices on TV
Read "Saint Seiya is mostly BL fandom", even for me, a gay fudanshi boy who wrote a lot of SS Yaoi fanfic, it's funny, because most straight boys from Brazil (and Latin America) grew up watching Saint Seiya.
Surprised

Brazil is not part of "North America" though. Razz See, I specifically put a whole bunch of conditional qualifiers at the start of that statement to explicitly acknowledge that yes, I do indeed know how popular that series is around the world...but I was foiled since I thought Latin America was part of South America! I meant to just say in the United States and Canada, where the only real traction it has is among people who saw it outside of North America to begin with, saw it on a non-English station, or are involved in a subset of BL. The reason why is actually very simple: the US and Canada never got the show as it was newly coming out. Everywhere else did.

For those curious, the list of everything I showed in my Anime from 1986 panel is here, and upon checking I suppose I did "forget" Del Power X after all:

http://www.animeworldorder.com/2016/08/list-of-anime-titles-shown-at-otakon-2016.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:01 am Reply with quote
This is a great post, but it does have one problem for me. The iamges aren't labeled. It's easy to identify some, since there's only one, but in the middle of the article I couldn't tell which show was which.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
What a year, two of my all-time favorite anime Laputa and Project A-ko! Yes, we may not see such broad comedy as A-ko again, but we can hope. So much of that was genuinely new to my comedic knowledge repertoire, but I still remember being floored by the ever-whiney tantrum throwing C-ko quietly sitting dazed in her abductor's ship because she had done all that until she had nothing left! Great article.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:09 am Reply with quote
I have ALL the Viz boxed releases of the Maison Ikkoku anime sitting in a cupboard in the hope that some day I have the time to watch it all again.
danshi_boy3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:38 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:

I was foiled since I thought Latin America was part of South America! l

South America is inside Latin America, i just forgot to complete. Read: "Brazil (and Latin America as a whole)". Confused
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:54 am Reply with quote

Simpler times.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Wrong this should be best of summer 1986, and where are the weekly reviews. The characters in Gall Force are very cute, I like Kenichi Sonodas character designs for making me like cute characters, who I wouldn't usually like.
Marzan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Megazone 23 (specially parts 1 and 2) is one of the most influential anime out there. Absolute classic.

Saint Seiya's success was not just a Latin American phenomenon. It was pretty big in Spain and France as well. I wonder what it is about Romance languages and that show that just clicked?
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Yay another Daryl article on ANN!! (esp. since AWO podcast updates only come once in a blue moon)

Obviously as some born in '93, I've seen most of these quite recently but, Project A Ko, Castle in the Sky, They Were Eleven, and Dirty Pair: Project Eden are some of my favorite 80s anime of all time. Personally I prefer Megazone 23 Part 1 over Part 2 since Mikimoto Haruhiko was one of the character designers but, I enjoyed the writing in Part 2 more.

Quote:
Before Hatsune Miku or Sharon Apple, EVE was the original virtual idol!
Funny how that was my first reaction after watching Part 1 was "EVE is the grandmother of the Vocaloids!"

Since Justin wrote a Buried Treasure article a long time ago, the Call Me Tonight OVA (while not great but I found it memorably weird) came out in July 1986. I still need to watch Gall Force since I think that's Gerald's favorite anime of all time. It's weird how seemingly few titles came out in '86 yet they are all distinctly different from each other.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Even though I have been exposed to anime since the late 80s, most of my favorite anime is staff that came out in the last 15 years.

But Daryl clearly demonstrates that past eras of anime like 1986 are really important and influential in the history of anime. Great article.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:56 pm Reply with quote
This was a neat panel and makes for a pretty neat article too.

I have an outsized appreciation for 1986, because of circumstance, not that it's a laggard otherwise. Project A-ko was my ur-anime and pretty well the reason that I'm here. (Something else probably would've done it eventually, but Project A-ko is the one that did) Gall Force: Eternal Story figured large in my early experiences. In both cases this is because I was introduced to anime by The Sci-Fi Channel's 'Saturday Anime' block and depended heavily upon it for the stuff way back when.

Maris the Chojo is pretty trifling, but a little fun and it somehow ended up as one of the first anime that I owned myself. That videocassette is long gone, but the arbitrary nostalgia will live on.

They Were 11 is one of the first things that I pursued when I resumed gathering anime to myself after several year's hiatus in 2011, encouraged chiefly by this column. I didn't quite 'get it' back then, but I came around to wisdom the second time through.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5