• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Analyst: Pokémon Go Drops 79% of Paying Users, Remains Top-Earning Mobile Game

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Who cares anymore.
No trading, no pokemon battles, nothing worth doing other than grinding.

It's a nice mobile game but it's not what the trailers promised. And that's just the beginning.
Rural players can't even play the game at all. The game forces people to go into cities to even find some pokemon worth catching. I'm not laying Pokémon go in the main city. I wanna play this game in beautiful nature and find places I have not seen yet through catching these things.

Last edited by TrueZangetsu on Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Actar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:10 pm Reply with quote
After awhile, it kinda gets repetitive as there's nothing new to do...
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Why does gaming have to be a chore nowadays? The buddy system has people walking 5 bloody kilometers and all they get is one candy. I get that it shouldn't be too easy but they should add more grinding features to make it frustrating.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo wants you to buy a 3DS and real Pokemon games for the full experience guys... That's what the phone stuff is meant for.
nhat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:
Why does gaming have to be a chore nowadays? The buddy system has people walking 5 bloody kilometers and all they get is one candy. I get that it shouldn't be too easy but they should add more grinding features to make it frustrating.

Just relax and just play it casually, I just play it whenever I'm out, I'm not trying to win the game or anything and the game becomes a lot more fun
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Looks like PGO managed to hang onto its Wailords.

It's a game I just play casually, and gives me a nice excuse to go for a walk.
7PhoenixAshes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Just relax and just play it casually, I just play it whenever I'm out, I'm not trying to win the game or anything and the game becomes a lot more fun

This exactly. There's no need to be the best there ever was. I'm going to continue playing until finding virtual critters in my neighborhood and claiming control of the local library stops being amusing. Very Happy
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
The fact this is doing this without some sort of gacha element and waifu idols or something like how most Japanese ones do it is what gets me.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:57 pm Reply with quote
TrueZangetsu wrote:

Rural players can't even play the game at all.

Whose fault is that?

Topgunguy wrote:

Don't you mean "make it less"?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
With grinding being virtually all that Pokémon GO has going for it at the moment, I'm not at all surprised that its revenue has taken a substantial drop. At least it's still bringing in massive profits despite that...
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
By comparison, Candy Crush Saga, the next most lucrative mobile game, earned 4.5 percent of the total.

People. PEOPLE: Shocked
CCS is the most willfully and aggressively chintziest major app game I've ever seen.
I moved off of Disney's Frozen Free-Fall's much more polished clone, to the jewel-battle world of Puzzle & Dragons--until, again, being seduced away by the tighter story-universe of Marvel Puzzle Quest--and when I ever did go back to those arrogant delusions-of-grandeur jerks at King Co. games, it was for the much more sensible reason of Paradise Bay.

There are other things you could be doing with your time. (Even if you only have a Wifi iPad, and can't play Pokemon Go.)
MoMo990066

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised. Pokemon Go was fun for a few weeks but even I (and most gamers) knew it was going to die down after a while. There is really nothing much to do after a while.
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:55 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Looks like PGO managed to hang onto its Wailords.

It's a game I just play casually, and gives me a nice excuse to go for a walk.

Exactly. It doesn't matter that 80% of people are gone. The ones that remain are the whales who spend ungodly amounts of money without a care.

All mobile games need is to get those whales onboard and then stop trying. Just do enough to keep the premiums sticking around.

It was fine to have fun with for a while. A good distraction. But the flaws made it something I only kept on with for a while.
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
With grinding being virtually all that Pokémon GO has going for it at the moment, I'm not at all surprised that its revenue has taken a substantial drop. At least it's still bringing in massive profits despite that...

Niantic has only 50 employees what did you expect?
vision33r

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:05 pm Reply with quote
No End game, no challenge, it's a low skill luck game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2