• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Sep 16-22

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Random 21

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:44 am Reply with quote
Nice to see Mob get a boost, hopefully this will keep up for the final rankings
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Given the finale's current rating (4.7), I don't doubt Mob will do well in the final ranking, both weekly and cumulative.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Mob at number 1 again, as it should be.
RoamFree

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Big drop for LL! SS!! on that last episode. Guess fans have to wait for S2 to catch a legit cameo from the original series. Hopefully the recent episode gets them inside the top 10 at least.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
And so, Sweetness and Lightning is pipped to third place at the final furlong! It will be Sourness and Storms for Tsumugi and friends.

I shall quite contentedly accept a sixth-place finish for Planetarian. One can only admire its propensity to rise in the rankings through pure inaction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:21 pm Reply with quote
And thus ends(almost!) another fine season of anime. Must say, I was thoroughly satisfied with how this season went. I watched fewer things than normal, but was happier with a higher percentage of them than I've ever been. It'll be interesting to see if there are any significant changes after next week, but I'm pretty happy with these rankings, all in all.
+ 光

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't care if this has been said before, but I would have preferred it if Planetarian dropped of the rankings completely, or if a less-then-12 episode show were never included in the first place...it just messes with the system.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Given the finale's current rating (4.7), I don't doubt Mob will do well in the final ranking, both weekly and cumulative.

Doesn't seem likely when you add up and get a range of Mob Pycho ratings (4.533) and Re Zero rating (4.615 (from episode 12-25). But, it all is left to be seen.

[sorry, misread your comment to say that Mob will get TOP of both weekly and cumulative.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
This week in "I don't know how it works!":

Looking back over Sweetness and Lightning, in the weekly chart there are only 4 weeks where its rating rose from its previous week, and overall it clearly trends downward from 2nd to 15th. How does that get swallowed up in the number crunching of the cumulative where it's a rock solid straight line 2nd place, except for the 2nd week and this last chart? Even then those are only one slot dips. There were only 2 weeks where it showed its best #2 weekly ranking, and yet it somehow managed to hang on to second place in the cumulatives throughout the season. It seems like all a series has to do is have a strong showing at the start and nothing will matter after that.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
This week in "I don't know how it works!":

Looking back over Sweetness and Lightning, in the weekly chart there are only 4 weeks where its rating rose from its previous week, and overall it clearly trends downward from 2nd to 15th. How does that get swallowed up in the number crunching of the cumulative where it's a rock solid straight line 2nd place, except for the 2nd week and this last chart? Even then those are only one slot dips. There were only 2 weeks where it showed its best #2 weekly ranking, and yet it somehow managed to hang on to second place in the cumulatives throughout the season. It seems like all a series has to do is have a strong showing at the start and nothing will matter after that.

Yeah its strong starts helped it stay up, but this again falls under what I (and others Very Happy) have been saying all season, the top 20 or so are very close so the drop in the weekly rankings is somewhat exaggerating how much it dropped in rating. It has fairly consistently been near the mid 4s all season, so its fall has been more slightly better performances by other shows that started lower than it. It is a bit formulaic so a negative trend is not necessary unexpected.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Ok, but no matter how closely they're running, it still seems like the cumulative should bear some relationship to what's going on in the weekly, and for S&L I don't see any at all.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:50 pm Reply with quote
A decent season all in all. I didn't follow a lot of shows but I think that had more to do with personal taste than the quality of the shows. Excited for the new season bring it on!
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Ok, but no matter how closely they're running, it still seems like the cumulative should bear some relationship to what's going on in the weekly, and for S&L I don't see any at all.

You also have to compare it to how the other series above it did. From the looks of it, the shows that are above it in recent weeks have done worse on average than S&L has aside from the past 2-3 weeks, aside from Re:Zero and Mob which are both above it.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I got behind on Battery because I was watching too much this season. What the heck happened?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:08 pm Reply with quote
^I think there wasn't enough baseball, the MC proved too unlikable, and the main metaphor was too subtext for most people (including me) to catch on unless it's spelled out point by point (I mean, I picked up on the BL elements, but not their actual purpose). Basically, it didn't really get its point across and it was frustrating.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2