• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Replicate Evangelion's Stark Episode Titles with Special Font Package

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr.N0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I want a video analysis of the use of typography in anime.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:58 am Reply with quote
Okay,this seems to be a bit much for me. Font based on the printing done for "EVA" episode titles? Do we and the rest of the world really need this? Is the Japanese obsession with "EVA" ever going to end?
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:38 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Font based on the printing done for "EVA" episode titles? Do we and the rest of the world really need this?

Really need? No. but then again, very little of what people do is driven by what we really need.
Quote:
Is the Japanese obsession with "EVA" ever going to end?

Might as well ask if the American obsession with Star Wars is ever going to end, or if the British obsession with Doctor Who is ever going to end.
Tofu92600

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Snomaster1 wrote:
Font based on the printing done for "EVA" episode titles? Do we and the rest of the world really need this?

Really need? No. but then again, very little of what people do is driven by what we really need.
Quote:
Is the Japanese obsession with "EVA" ever going to end?

Might as well ask if the American obsession with Star Wars is ever going to end, or if the British obsession with Doctor Who is ever going to end.

And being a fan of the three, I hope none of them ever ends.

As for the font and text in general, I agree that they play a huge part in the whole EVA lore. Just rewatched the serie recently and I spent a lot of time pausing and reading those split second appearances of texts and subtexts, well, the one that were translated at least.
megazero

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
You pay $44++ just to get the CD of a font package. Sad
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blue21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Okay,this seems to be a bit much for me. Font based on the printing done for "EVA" episode titles? Do we and the rest of the world really need this? Is the Japanese obsession with "EVA" ever going to end?

Yeah, it's not like there are whole fonts based on the Walt Disney and Kingdom Hearts logo. Rolling Eyes spoiler[/sarcasm]
nargun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:07 pm Reply with quote
megazero wrote:
You pay $44++ just to get the CD of a font package. Sad

Pretty normal price for a font. Cheap, if anything, for an east-asian font.

And it's actually a pretty nice one, flowing and calligraphic. See how the katakana horizontal strokes are all slightly sloped up to the right, and the kanji horizontal stroke true flat? But the characters still work together as an integrated whole, and that with the smooth curves and ticks on the hiragana too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1