• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of Fall 2016

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zzshcl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:21 am Reply with quote
Im not surprised YOI got more of the picks, it was a really hit after all

My list would be

YOI

Sangatsu no lion

And the worst was izetta or trickster
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:26 am Reply with quote
Time to begin my binge watching.....
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:27 am Reply with quote
As close to a clean sweep for Yuri on Ice as could be expected, it seems! As indeed it should be, on reflection.
Considering the political horrors we're currently witnessing, something so passionately devoted to representing love in a form free from the shackles of prejudice must come as a dear relief to many. Sayo Yamamoto has demonstrated that the world always needs artists with uncompromising ambitions to counteract moral failings elsewhere, so for her work to be lauded to such a degree is comfortingly significant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nekelen Tinsley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:27 am Reply with quote
Best: 3-gatsu no Lion
Runner Up: Haikyuu!! Season 3
Worst: Occultic;Nine
jimoli5395

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:28 am Reply with quote
Glad to see Flip Flappers is on the list. It's been a real breath of fresh air and my personal anime of the season.

No surprise seeing YOI placing highly. It certainly has been popular and deservedly so.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
Best: ClassicaLoid (because it's a ton of fun)
Runner-up: Girlish Number & Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans S2 & Flip Flappers (I can't choose)
Worst: March comes in like a lion (not really bad or anything, but I never liked that artsy 'Shaft' style, so no thanks)
Not-sure-if-it's-even-good-but-I-keep-coming-back-anyway: Heybot!

Last edited by thekingsdinner on Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
My best of the season would be Flip Flappers as it's nice to see something that has such innovative animation get made. Runner up would be Magical Girl Raising Project it even made my best of 2016 list. While it's nice to see people obviously like Yuri On Ice to me it's same kind of reaction I had to Wolf's Rain I respect it but I don't like it.

My worst of the season is Lostorage Incited WIXOSS I really hoped this would have been a fresh start for the franchise after the disappointing second season of the first iteration of the series. But no instead it had one change and everything basically stayed the same and it simply ended up feeling like a turgid slog through badly written attempts at melodramatic tragedy.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
My favorite story was Georgi's, giving Sayo Yamamoto a way to drop in feminist commentary even in a story about boys.

Yuri on Ice was great, but I continue to roll my eyes at the idea that portraying the universal difficulty that any person has (male or female, straight or queer) with finding out that the person you love no longer feels that way for laughs (in a hilarious way, with the guy dumped being an utter chump) is a specific feminist commentary. That goes especially when the person being dumped uses a ridiculous "I'm going to skate so well I'll win you back" strategy that could be performed by a female character and taken from the pages of absurd shoujo manga as well.

It's not like it portrayed a controlling relationship, or violence, or anything else with serious issues. Just a forlorn and pathetic person who was dumped but couldn't accept it (and formulated a silly but benign plan), and the other person who no longer loved, had found someone else and was under no obligation to go back. When loves, and then relationships, end in a non-mutual way cause pain; the person who no longer loves is not to blame, but it's understandable how any human has difficulty accepting that. I don't have a problem with it being played for laughs (it's not any worse than playing Kae's issues in Kiss Him, Not Me for laughs, or anything else), but it's a universal experience.
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:49 am Reply with quote
Best: Fune wo Amu (how the f*** nobody talks about this? it's amazing!)

Runner up: Haikyuu Season 3.

Worst: Bloodivores
Via_01

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:53 am Reply with quote
I do take issue with people who call Flip Flappers an Evangelion knock-off, as I feel the similarities are superficial at best... but whatever, I don't want to start any fights.

My top is similar to Nick's, with Flip Flappers in 1st place (great art design, inventive animation, good understanding of its characters... really too many good things to list), and then Sound! Euphonium 2 and March Comes in Like a Lion tied for second. Following them from up close would be Diamond is Unbreakable, simply because of how fun it was to watch from week to week (even as someone who always knew what was going to happen next).

As for worst, eh... I'm not big on hatewatching and in fact I'm pretty awful at continuing shows that lose my interest. Every show I followed from the first batch I liked in one way or another. So I suppose if I had to decide on the one I liked the least, it'd be Magic of Stella. It set out to do something, it accomplished it, didn't really break any molds but it was nevertheless an enjoyable ride. An alright show.

My honorable mention goes to Yuri on Ice: it's a very ambitious show with a fantastic core message that looked gorgeous at times... but I can't overlook its many flaws. From its shaky narrative structure (I feel like I watched the same episode like 6 times or so) to the several production problems that showed through the cracks (let's be honest, this much recycled animation would've been a deal breaker in any other show), the show lacked in several areas. Still, I kinda respect it for being good in spite of all of this.

Last edited by Via_01 on Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
diamoundheadx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:00 pm Reply with quote
the best brave witches
runner up magical girl rising
worst drifters
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Surprised that Sound Euphonium! 2 was runner up for a few ANN staffers. Honestly, it's by far the most disappointing show for me out of the ones I'm watching this season. The first season was really good, but this one felt like it was trying too hard to create drama - plus there wasn't enough focus on the actual band. I wouldn't call it terrible, but it's extremely mediocre.

Other anime I watched:

WWW.Working!! - It's Working. It's pretty much the same as the original show, just with a different cast. What's interesting about the show to me is I find Adachi and Miyakoshi much more likeable than I ever found Takanashi and Inami of the original Working. For me, the original Working was all about the other mains and the supporting characters. But, respectively, WWW Working's other mains and supporting characters are less likeable than the original show's.

Izetta: The Last Witch - I have to agree to disagree with ANN staff. I really liked this show. I do agree that it did start to get less good towards the end, mainly because of spoiler[Germania getting their own witch felt like it made the story go too predictable]. But it was still an interesting take on mixing fantasy and WWII historical fiction.

Lostorage Incited WIXOSS - Again, I seem to disagree with others on this one. I liked this show. This show is one you pretty much CAN'T watch if you didn't watch the previous shows AND were at least mildly into them, I feel like. It's not as good as the Selector WIXOSS shows, and it's mainly because main character Suzuko spends at least the first half of the show "Being a Shinji," referencing Shinji of Neon Genesis Evangelion of course. She whines about not wanting to do what she's already signed up to do and she can't get out of it. That anime character archetype annoys me so much it has actually encouraged me to drop shows in the past. But fortunately she seems to stop being that way partway through.

Yep, this is all I've watched so far of this season. I don't watch everything like some people do. I generally only have time to pick a few shows per season. The fact that I watched 4 is already a lot for me. So here's my best and worsts out of those:

Best of the season: Izetta the Last Witch
Runner up: Lostorage Incited WIXOSS If Suzuko wasn't such a Shinji, this probably would've pushed to Best of the Season for me.

Worst of the season: Sound Euphonium! 2
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
My best of the season was Flip Flappers, followed by Wixoss as runner up. Flip Flappers will probably be my anime of the year.

My worst of the season was To Be Hero, or as I call it, "The Most Awful Doom Patrol Arc I've Ever Seen".
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Wow, what happened to March comes in like a lion? Given how much praise others heaped on its first episode, I fully expected it to be second only to Yuri!! in these results. Yet it's barely even mentioned and doesn't rank for anyone.

Anyway, here's a summary of the "best" results:

Yuri!! on Ice: 5 (all first)
Keijo!!!!!!!!: 3 (1 first)
Flip Flappers: 2 (1 first)
Haikyu!! 3rd Season: 2 (1 first)
Sound Euphonium: 2
ClassicaLoid: 2
Magical Girl Raising Project: 1 (1 first)
Poco's Udon World: 1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tsvkkis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Best: Yuri on Ice
Runner-Up: Poco's Udon World
Worst: Izetta
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8