• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Historical Anime Onihei Streams TV Ad Before January 9 Debut

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:31 am Reply with quote
"Prime exclusive" huh? Guess that means we can forget about any kind of simulcast or actual streaming. Don't know why they keep trying their hands at anime if they can't even be committed enough to actually put shows up
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:45 am Reply with quote
I wish I could've relied on fansubs on this one, but probably no one will pick it up. Damn you, Amazon.

If Amazon payed a lot of money to get this, then I'm ok with that, but otherwise, they should stay away, look at what they did to Fune Wo Amu...

Edit: Actually, they might have even helped fund this, so I guess it's all right they got it.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:51 am Reply with quote
I love how crisp and clean the character designs look in animation.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:24 am Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
I If Amazon payed a lot of money to get this, then I'm ok with that, but otherwise, they should stay away, look at what they did to Fune Wo Amu...

Edit: Actually, they might have even helped fund this, so I guess it's all right they got it.
And even if they didn't fund it, I've heard Amazon and Netflix offer huge license fees in order to get what they want.
russ869

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:57 am Reply with quote
Character designs look great! Animation... not so much. Although I guess the trailer didn't show much.
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:31 am Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
Character designs look great! Animation... not so much. Although I guess the trailer didn't show much.

It's more of a detective story than an action series, so I don't think the kinda stilted animation with the swordfights will be too much of a problem. The characters look expressive in motion, so that's a good sign.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
As long as Amazon tells us when they will put it up as they did with Scum's Wish, I'm fine with it. And hopefully their treatment of Fune wo Amu is only a one off, both in terms of lack of announcements and not simulcasting it.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
How much is Amazon Prime?

I wouldn't mind waiting until the entire show is available on it and sub for a month and binge watch.

Or is there a pay-per-series option?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:36 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
How much is Amazon Prime?

I wouldn't mind waiting until the entire show is available on it and sub for a month and binge watch.

Or is there a pay-per-series option?

Prime Video is 8.99 a month. I wouldn't suggest going that path unless one plans on using it the way you say you will.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Ughhh Amazon Prime is the one company I didn't want getting their hands on this. Onihei is one of the very shows I have been very looking forward to and to see that it's simulcasting license is taken by Amazon, I'd have to wait many months to view the whole series (better not be another Fune wo Amu fiasco).
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:
I If Amazon payed a lot of money to get this, then I'm ok with that, but otherwise, they should stay away, look at what they did to Fune Wo Amu...

And even if they didn't fund it, I've heard Amazon and Netflix offer huge license fees in order to get what they want.

I'm cool with that. I'm glad they gave Noitamina millions and millions(suspected to be enough to almost entirely pay for the production of the shows included. I love hearing that) for that streaming deal and all, but it still sucks that they are literally doing nothing with most of those shows. I feel less guilty about using fansubs and torrents for The Great Passage and Scum's Wish because I know Japan is still getting money for those shows, and that's what I care about, but I'd still like to watch legally. But whatever, Amazon clearly can afford to lose millions on this anime endeavor if they are too preoccupied to even put the shows up for streaming, so I'm not going to knock myself. I probably would have downloaded BD torrents for those shows anyway, after streaming them legally, because they are the kind of shows that I typically buy anyway.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
As I mentioned earlier Amazon has announced they are streaming Scum's Wish, on the 11th. So it will be legally available. They haven't done as much for Onihei though, and I hope they do.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
As I mentioned earlier Amazon has announced they are streaming Scum's Wish, on the 11th. So it will be legally available. They haven't done as much for Onihei though, and I hope they do.

Quote:
Amazon will exclusively stream the series in Japan and abroad, and will premiere the first episode on January 11, before the anime premieres on Fuji TV's Noitamina programming block on January 12.

If you're talking about that, I think the 11th date is only really applicable for within Japan. Didn't they say the same thing for The Great Passage as well? Until they give a US release schedule, I'm not holding my breath.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
AFAIK a date for Fune wo Amu wasn't announced (except UK maybe). We'll see come the 11th what they meant anyways.
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Even if they stream it properly, Prime is available in all of 7 countries, and with Amazon having the worldwide streaming rights, the rest of the world is screwed. It's back to piracy and fansubs, good job.

Then again, I have a feeling Amazon also kind of shot themselves on the leg. Kabaneri was a big, mainstream show, sure. But Fune wo Amu and Onihei aren't the sort of series that would drive people in droves to subscribe to Prime to be able to watch them, and while I'm not familiar with Scum's Wish, it doesn't seem to me the sort of show that, if I was Amazon, I'd want to pay millions for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1