• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, December 26-January 1 (Updated)

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:43 am Reply with quote
Happy to see YOI is doing so well.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:46 am Reply with quote
So I guess selling KumaMiko at bargain prices really did help huh
Guile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:55 am Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
Happy to see YOI is doing so well.

My copy is still in the mail. Glad to see other otaku took to it as well. Hope we get more underutilized sports anime in the future.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:05 am Reply with quote
Thought yuri on ice would do more than that.

UtaPri can beat it.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:18 am Reply with quote
YOI doing 35k which is AWESOME to see. Now I just gatta hope for a nice, big second week!
musouka

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:36 am Reply with quote
68% BD and 32% DVD for YOI's first week. Surely NOW we can kill and bury the idea that a franchise aimed at women couldn't possibly be BD heavy.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:37 am Reply with quote
Yuri on par with OP. OP is dead. Drifters gonna drift.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:42 am Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
68% BD and 32% DVD for YOI's first week. Surely NOW we can kill and bury the idea that a franchise aimed at women couldn't possibly be BD heavy.

Tiger & Bunny and UtaPri already killed that idea. Women were much slower to adopt BD at large compared to men but they have indeed now adopted it. I imagine the ones who only want the event ticket application go for the cheaper option which is DVD.

KH91 wrote:
Yuri on par with OP. OP is dead

I'm not sure I'd argue that 35k combined BD/DVD is on par with 50k combined BD/DVD.
musouka

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:50 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Tiger & Bunny and UtaPri already killed that idea. Women were much slower to adopt BD at large compared to men but they have indeed now adopted it. I imagine the ones who only want the event ticket application go for the cheaper option which is DVD.

I agree! But we're still getting people even on this very site that want to pretend Free's BD-heavy sales means there's a super secret cabal of dudes that adore the series and deserve the credit for making it a success. (I think it might have something to do with the animation quality of a series myself, but running the numbers right now would take more time than I have at this very moment)
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:51 am Reply with quote
musouka wrote:

Because only women like YOI, right? Rolling Eyes Better inform all the male staff and forum goers here.

KH91 wrote:
Yuri on par with OP. OP is dead.
Mainstream anime usually sells terrible. They don't rely on disk sales. OP still sold more anyway.
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:56 am Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
But we're still getting people even on this very site that want to pretend Free's BD-heavy sales means there's a super secret cabal of dudes that adore the series and deserve the credit for making it a success.

Lord Oink wrote:
Because only women like YOI, right? Rolling Eyes

I almost can't believe these posts happened one right after the other.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:04 am Reply with quote
Good news for the anime industry, at least in BD sales.

Anime like YOI are not in my to watch list but is good to see that BD sales are not dependent on male otaku shows only.

YOI are taking female otaku fans by storm and even some male otaku fans are in the boat.
The quality of the show was enough to break some barriers about some of the YOI themes that could make male otaku stay way from the show.

Shows like this are very important.
I hope female otaku continuing supporting anime buying BDs and not only DVDs
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:20 am Reply with quote
Yuri on Ice was predictable, but I'm incredibly happy to see Drifters with almost 10k Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:37 am Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
I agree! But we're still getting people even on this very site that want to pretend Free's BD-heavy sales means there's a super secret cabal of dudes that adore the series and deserve the credit for making it a success. (I think it might have something to do with the animation quality of a series myself, but running the numbers right now would take more time than I have at this very moment)

Unless you have access to some insider information, truth is no one actually knows who bought these disks, and anyone who says otherwise is lying. This includes you. These sales don't tell us jack about anything outside a show is popular.
musouka

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:54 am Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Unless you have access to some insider information, truth is no one actually knows who bought these disks, and anyone who says otherwise is lying. This includes you. These sales don't tell us jack about anything outside a show is popular.

BRB, arbitrarily deciding women drove the majority of sales for Bakemonogatari and Madoka! Who~ can~ knowwww~~~
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3