• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - My Love Story

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
Admittedly wishing that I've made myself my own Glass Mask poster for my room, but not quite sure if my husband would appreciate that, considering the amount of posters he still wants to place up. Anime hyper

But that is a nice collection there! Glad to see there's another person who enjoys Glass Mask, and I really enjoy your taste in manga. A lot of those are my favorites as well!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
I wish Stand Alone Complex could get a Blu-Ray release in the UK, Manga UK thought it would a great idea to instead release the 2 OVAs instead Rolling Eyes
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote
My Love Story is a bit of an oddity for me. I typically don't care for romances, but I did enjoy this one. I think it was the slice of life aspect that kept me interested, since I do like that genre quite a bit. Plus, (possible spoiler, maybe) spoiler[ most of the romances I have seen don't have the main characters become a couple until the end, even if we know that is where it is going, whereas My Love Story gets that part out of the way early on. I appreciated that it didn't string out that part of the story. ]

I picked it up during Right Stuf's holiday sale for $50. At first, I didn't know that it was all 24 episodes, so I was confused how that was a bargain for a Sentai release, but for all 24 episodes, it seemed fair.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
As others have mentioned elsewhere, the Metropolis release is a BD-R (which is apparently something of lesser repute). The consensus seems to be for North American viewers to import the latest UK release, which is reportedly compatible with their zone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:57 am Reply with quote
I just came to bitch about James Beckett complaining about the cost of the My Love Story BD/DVD sets. Of course the sets are going to be pricier because they come with 2 freaking cours of anime content. No company in their right mind should offer 2 cours of a new, never been release anime show for less than $80 MSRP.

I thought that people wanted consolidated releases of two cours shows instead of two separate releases, which are going to make the consumer actually pay more. I am all for more consolidated releases. I hope Sentai does releases with all 39 episodes for Ushio and Tora; I am ready to pay $130 for a standard BD release.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:57 am Reply with quote
My Love Story isn't expensive and it's not over priced. A single cour Sentai BD set would have a MSRP of 69.98... I know, I ordered one of My Love Story before it was cancelled. But combining the two of them into one complete set cut the MSRP of the second set down to 30 dollars for a total of 99.98. For a first run dubbed series, that's good.

To be honest, I bought the whole thing new for forty because that's how I work. If you paid more for it, that's your luck.

Yes, great series, great dub and my only complaint is that we never got to see what kind of girl Sunakawa was into. Sure, it hinted here and there but it certainly wasn't the girl the series ran with at the end which was a disappointment.

Now that I think on that, it reminds me of something else that bothered me about the series: Why were all the girls so short? Sure, Takeo is huge but his size is probably exaggerated for sake of comedy However, it seems like Sunakawa shouldn't tower over the girls as well. If he was of a normal height, all the girls are about 4 foot four.

It's kind of weird. Or artistic license, girls are "short and cute and must be protected" sort of thing except for Takeo's mom... wait, is this a hidden can of worms for this series? This is a main sticking point for all depicted couples after all...
Rhys2753

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Pity the soul who buys the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Blu-ray releases.
-Dubtitles with sound effects included for the hearing impaired--not a translation of the Japanese script.
-no in-episode chapter stops, have to scan past the opening and ending credits
-none of the extensive extras that are found on the DVDs
-audio switches from English to Japanese for a couple lines in the first episode, and who knows where else.
-[Singing in Japanese] is the subtitle for the first opening song when the singing is in Latin and Russian, again no actual translation.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
^ When I saw the Blu-Rays, I was like, "Damn! I just bought the old Bandai sets for cheap."

Needless to say, when I heard about the problems with the Blu-Rays, that disappointment quickly faded. Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Is there a reason why the releases that get full reviews don't also carry the same information as the others in the column (or am I just not seeing it)?

Title - Complete Collection BD
Distributor - XXX min - Sub/Dub - MSRP $XX.XX
Currently cheapest at: $XX.XX Vendor link
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:03 pm Reply with quote
^ I am guessing it is because those titles are usually not new releases of the week.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Ah, ok. I guess I just assumed they were (obviously not paying close attention). Why aren't they reviewed when they are new releases? Smile
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
As others have mentioned elsewhere, the Metropolis release is a BD-R (which is apparently something of lesser repute). The consensus seems to be for North American viewers to import the latest UK release, which is reportedly compatible with their zone.

I have the old DVD of it, but it sounds like the Metropolis BD-R's are not worth the risk.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Why aren't they reviewed when they are new releases? Smile

That would be ideal, but Paul Jensen is probably the only one who can answer that. I have also noticed that some products in this column are reviewed before their street date.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Quote:
I have also noticed that some products in this column are reviewed before their street date.

Companies send recognized reviewers copies before street date frequently. The idea is that the review will get people to purchase when the show comes out.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:08 am Reply with quote
I love My Love Story!! It's sweet and endearing, but it's the humor that makes it stand apart from other shojo romances-- not only is it genuinely funny, it uses sarcasm and even snark without being mean spirited. Most of the humor is courtesy of Sunakawa, but it's mixed with situational humor done right (and the butt tree!)
Animegomaniac wrote:

Yes, great series, great dub and my only complaint is that we never got to see what kind of girl Sunakawa was into. Sure, it hinted here and there but it certainly wasn't the girl the series ran with at the end which was a disappointment
Ahh, but is Suna into girls at all? Is he even romantically interested in anyone? Viz hasn't released the final volume of the manga in the US yet, so I can't say for sure, but many people interpreted Sunakawa as asexual, and I'm partial to that idea until the manga reveals otherwise. When the anime was streaming, The Mary Sue ran an article about asexual representation in media that posited Suna's identity as ace: My Love(ish) Story: Anime, Aces and Suna-min Rolls
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2