• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gainax Co-Founder Thinks Miyazaki's Return to Feature Filmmaking Will Fail

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:53 pm Reply with quote
The problem is, Gainax may not be able to return to its former glory either now that some of its famous people (Hideaki Anno and Hiroyuki Imaishi, among others) have gone separate ways with the company.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote
You might be right, Mr. Okada, but when was the last time Gainax did anything worthwhile themselves? Is Uru in Blue coming anytime soon? People in glass houses...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:11 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
You might be right, Mr. Okada, but when was the last time Gainax did anything worthwhile themselves? Is Uru in Blue coming anytime soon? People in glass houses...

I never understood this kind of reasoning. "Your criticism of Miyazaki is invalid because what about Gainax"? How does that compute? Never mind that Okada hasn't even been involved with Gainax for literally decades (he left before Evangelion!).

Anyway, I'm not a Miyazaki fan so I don't really care, and I also think his later works don't measure up to his older ones. But as for Kurosawa, Ran is one of his best movies, so I take exception to that comparison.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Miyazaki is trying to create the "Citizen Kane" of his career in his final years, so calling Miyazaki out during the creation stage of his project when he is following his life long passion is a little below the belt.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Why does it seem like all the legends of the anime industry are such dreadful cynics that never believe in anything anymore? It just seems like whether it's Hideaki Anno, Miyazaki, Tomino, or the Otaking, that once somebody makes it big in the anime industry they kind of end up turning obnoxious. Can you imagine if Hollywood directors went around trash talking each other all the time like anime directors do? Anyway, I don't think anyone really expects MIyazaki's next film to be a big Blockbuster hit like Spirited Away or something. This is just something Miyazaki wants to do because he wants to, and as long as it turns out well and his fans support it, I don't see the problem? I just find it ironic and a bit amusing that the Gainax co-founder is trashing Miyazaki since usually it's the other way around and Miyazaki is always trashing everybody else. But I've always argued that if the anime industry collapses, it won't be because of fans not supporting the industry or too much moe loli girls, but because all the giants of the industry are such insufferable twats that nobody can stand to be around.
nagpo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah like gainax has produced anything worthwhile in the last several years.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
Why does it seem like all the legends of the anime industry are such dreadful cynics that never believe in anything anymore? It just seems like whether it's Hideaki Anno, Miyazaki, Tomino, or the Otaking, that once somebody makes it big in the anime industry they kind of end up turning obnoxious.

That's the way some of them have always been. You're just noticing it more now that they're not at their peak anymore.

Tomino is actually in his happy period now, compared to before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
His smug face in the thumbnail Wink Tell me more about what Gainax has done since Trigger split off, Mr. Okada?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ronie Peterson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Now I know why Gainax has disappeared from the industry.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
So according to Okada, Miyazaki might end up believing that returning to anime was a mistake?
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Okada left Gainax in '92.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
But Kurosawa won the Palme d'Or & got two Oscar nominations for Kagemusha. Or does he mean he thinks Miyazaki is going to go through a "all my friends are dead & I'm fed up with the industry" phase?
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Let Miyazaki do what he loves, making classically animated films. Even if it isn't a success, it doesn't diminish his most popular works.

Just look at George Lucas. He still makes films after he sold off Star Wars, and the general public doesn't really know. Yet, he still is recognized for Star Wars. Lucas still films, because he loves it. And that should be respected.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
But Kurosawa won the Palme d'Or & got two Oscar nominations for Kagemusha. Or does he mean he thinks Miyazaki is going to go through a "all my friends are dead & I'm fed up with the industry" phase?

Yes, but Kurosawa's later years were still him in decline. Ran was his last truly unanimous masterpiece. Furthermore it seems that whenever filmmakers come out of retirement they just don't match their earlier years at all.

Anywa, bold statement from Okada. I can see why he's reticent

Last edited by AiddonValentine on Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Woomy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Miyazaki has always had high and low points in his career, and if he does return then this will be no different. He'll either make something great, or he'll make garbage like Ponyo for example.

The thing is, I know damn well a return will not be a failure on a financial front. Just attach his name to it, and watch people flock to those theaters.

I also see that this potential return here is just because he wants to and not really for anything else. Which is why he should stop saying he's gonna retire every now and then, and just say "If I feel like doing another one, I'll do it."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3