• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon the Movie: I Choose You! Film Opens at #1, Live-Action Gintama at #2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I really don't see a Power Rangers sequel getting made. Foreign audiences have absolutely shunned it. Even movies in much fewer theatres grossed more.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I really want to see that Pokemon movie. I haven't watched Pokemon in years but this movie got me interested again.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
I really don't see a Power Rangers sequel getting made. Foreign audiences have absolutely shunned it. Even movies in much fewer theatres grossed more.

Maybe one sequel, depending how far into production it is, but their dreams of being the next MCU are certainly foolish. Power Rangers is distinctly an American thing, no surprise it did poorer than usual in other countries.

-Stuart Smith
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:58 am Reply with quote
I'm so happy that this year's Pokemon movie seems to be doing better than last year's! The movies have been on the decline, in profit. (and unfortunately in quality, in my opinion. movie 18 was rough. I say this as someone who is a massive fan and imports the blu-rays.) Hopefully the Pokémon Company has made an effort to make this one great, in order to keep the audience they pulled in with the nostalgia for next year's already announced film.
supercalafragilisticjoy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:25 am Reply with quote
If anyone was wondering - the Gintama movie was pretty good. While the graphics were less than stellar, everything was super on point from the jokes to staying true to the feel and characters. As an avid fan of Gin's voice actor, I was also pleasantly surprised by Oguri Shun's Gintoki. Totally worth second place!

(And as I'm a bit bitter about them shafting Brock and Misty in the pokemon movie, I think Gintama should be first, but that's just me)
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:12 am Reply with quote
This year's Pokemon movie, in a good way, is basically a saving throw after all those declining earnings from the last few.

I'm going to go check it out sometime.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote
I'm very ecstatic that Pokémon: I Choose You is a grand success! Smile The nostalgic memories must have been a strong influence, in addition to the newer Pokémon not native to Kanto.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:42 am Reply with quote
A PM film taking first place. It is only right that it was be a remake of the original. I look forward to the BD release in December.
ETX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised the Pokemon film is doing as well as it is despite how utterly bad the film was (I've seen it, and it's honestly not great outside of nostalgia.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1