• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: New Light Novel's OP Main Character Literally Levels Up by Existing

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I mean, there is a webnovel about a guy who levels up by walking -- one level per step.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow. That outfit on the cover looks ridiculous. Confused
Robiii

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Not sure what u tryna go for here by saying overpowered characters are some sort of "wish fulfillment", when in reality they're just fking boring. Seems like dogshit criticism if you ask me. Thats the opposite of what I "wish to see" lmao.

Other than that, this novel sounds almost hilarious, would love to read/see it one day if I get a chance to.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Is this isekai or just set in a fantasy world? Cause there is a difference and I didn't see any mention of being teleported to a different world.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:

To me is screams "if the premise wasn't interesting enough have some boobs!". Now I love my T&A don't get me wrong....but that image seemed out of place. I guess she must be the main female MC the guy meets at the start or something. So far I'm not very impressed by the premise.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
That's odd as I thought my dislike of "isekai" plots has more to do with how they're all lazy expositional dumps. "It's so easy to set up the world for the audience when the main character doesn't know how the world works either!". This doesn't seem to be one of those though it does feature an overpowered "chosen one" figure. I can't complain about that, it's for their audience; All the ways their mcs are overpowered are the ways their fans aren't.

Also, when listing this author's other works, am I the only one who keeps reading "written" in quotes? It's right next to "yusha" but maybe my brain's trying to tell me something.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:

To me is screams "if the premise wasn't interesting enough have some boobs!". Now I love my T&A don't get me wrong....but that image seemed out of place. I guess she must be the main female MC the guy meets at the start or something. So far I'm not very impressed by the premise.

#keotal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:06 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like it's just a LN with RPG mechanics (like what a lot of isekais do) but I don't think that this counts as isekai, unless I missed reading a part that states that Lana was transported to the world that he resides in. I guess I'd like a definition of what makes something an isekai.

OP protagonist powers with superficial flaws? Index does that with Touma. It doesn't seem like an isekai from what I've seen (S1 and 2).

RPG mechanics? DanMachi.

I always thought that a character had to be transported from a world like our own, to the fictional one. Re:Zero, KonoSuba, Digimon, and Shield Hero does this and I can see that as isekai.

The author didn't necessarily state that it was isekai, there just seemed to be some implications.

Last edited by #keotal on Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Peebs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:

*whispes* Or she could be the little sister he's supposed to save.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Got anything to actually say Lemonchest?
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:21 pm Reply with quote
#keotal wrote:
OP protagonist with superficial flaws? Index does that with Touma. It doesn't seem like an isekai from what I've seen (S1 and 2).

Touma isn't OP at all though. He is constantly beaten nearly to death only to end up on the winning side thanks to a bit of quick thinking and help. That last bit is super important. I can't think of any villain that is suppose to be incredibly powerful that Touma beats on his own. He is very much an underdog character which is pretty much the opposite of an OP protagonist like say Tatsuya.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Got anything to actually say Lemonchest?

Does anyone?
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:

Speaking of impressed, may i know whose the character on your profile pic? She kinda looks like F/SN's Medusa. :3
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
#keotal wrote:

well, in the latest batch of works the mc is an isekai native and the charcters that get transported are no the mc, like hans junan and goblin is very strong, I hope we eventualyl get more of those.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Eh, people can give all the complaints they want about isekai or video game-inspired-fantasy, but i still find plenty of those series that i enjoy, for different reasons. In the case of this series, i think the execution of the "gimmick" is what will matter; the first volume could be interesting as the protagonist figures out how their weird power works, with that time limit of saving his sister. Could be interesting.

It's the other, more exasperating tropes that would potentially turn me off; shallow and inconsequential female characters, leads without a personality, excessive info-dumps, etc. The best of these series (DanMachi, Shield Hero) overcome these.

I guess my point is; i'll give an isekai gimmick a chance, as long as it's used well, and the rest of the series isn't dreadful
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2