• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyo Olympics Committee President Proposes Manga Parade at 2020 Games

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I don't see why not. We already had Daniel Craig skydive with Her Majesty and Rowan Atkinson run with Britain's premier sprinters. That being said, I do hope their is universal appeal as well; that's what made Beijing's so special.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:15 pm Reply with quote
More like a manga funeral seeing what might be happening in 2020. The only people who will be rejoicing are the censors and the BPO.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Maybe a reference but not a parade. Gotta be more important aspects of the culture than just anime and manga
Fenrin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Mori said that people around the world do not necessarily know much about kabuki and sumo.

It may be true that people don't know the details very well, but I believe that most people at least associate the image of those two as undoubtedly Japanese. While things like Hello Kitty may be more common in the public eye, not everyone immediately associates a character or tv show they once saw with Japan, especially since most of the anime that people come into contact with internationally is dubbed into their language.

That being said it doesn't seem like a bad idea, as long as we get to see older cultural aspects as well.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:19 am Reply with quote
So....Doraemon's NOT the '20 Tokyo mascot after all, then?
Even after that was the incentive to finally import the show to the US?

(Okay, guys, guess it's time to pack up all those YouTube Akira parodies... Sad )
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:13 am Reply with quote
How the heck do you not advertise the Game King himself, Yami Yugi, from Yu-Gi-Oh! (Game King) in an event about games? Well, you have a few years to get it right so....
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:33 am Reply with quote
Having the opening parade involve things people recognise as Japanese? What a novel idea. I can't imagine where he got it from. Although when your games are already being accused of corruption & budget overruns, filling it with copyrighted images probably won't help that.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:50 am Reply with quote
I can't wait for all the American media commentary about the parade if NBC doesn't cut the whole thing out.
Pixel_Crusher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:09 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
More like a manga funeral seeing what might be happening in 2020. The only people who will be rejoicing are the censors and the BPO.

What might be happening may I ask?
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:48 am Reply with quote
Interesting

Last edited by Topgunguy on Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:49 am; edited 2 times in total
JoeOfTomorrow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:50 am Reply with quote
I'd certainly watch that. It'd be so much better than the AWFUL London one. Although the Mr. Bean skit was great, it didn't make up for the rest of it which was a pretentious mess. The Beijing one just kept on going and going, it wouldn't end, I never finished it.

Rio was much more subdued by comparison and didn't waste any time with long shows or constantly preaching social commentaries.
MadHi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:10 am Reply with quote
I just hope there's some emphasis on sports anime rather than focusing solely on shonen battle series. I'd say characters like Suzuka Asahina, Joe Yabuki, Ippo Makunouchi, Tsubasa Ozora, Hanamichi Sakuragi and maybe Yawara Inokuma are more suited to be on that banner instead of Yokai Watch, Shin Chan, Sailor Moon, One Piece and Dragon Ball Z characters, it shouldn't be a popularity contest.

Awaiting fans of the latter shows to throw a fit and miss the point entirely.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:29 am Reply with quote
MadHi wrote:
I just hope there's some emphasis on sports anime rather than focusing solely on shonen battle series. I'd say characters like Suzuka Asahina, Joe Yabuki, Ippo Makunouchi, Tsubasa Ozora, Hanamichi Sakuragi and maybe Yawara Inokuma are more suited to be on that banner instead of Yokai Watch, Shin Chan, Sailor Moon, One Piece and Dragon Ball Z characters, it shouldn't be a popularity contest.

Awaiting fans of the latter shows to throw a fit and miss the point entirely.

I completely agree, considering that some of these series, particularly Captain Tsubasa, inspired some people to become sportspeople.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
JoeOfTomorrow wrote:
I'd certainly watch that. It'd be so much better than the AWFUL London one. Although the Mr. Bean skit was great, it didn't make up for the rest of it which was a pretentious mess.

And that's not even talking about the closing ceremonies, which made the opening look sane by comparison--
Someday, we'll look back on the days when both the US and UK thought Russell Brand had a career, but...will someone please actually stop and listen to the lyrics of "We Will Rock You", and question the wisdom of playing a song about football hooligans to a stadium of Olympic athletes? Confused
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:26 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
I can't wait for all the American media commentary about the parade if NBC doesn't cut the whole thing out.

I can envisage the BBC's live, lukewarm audio feed on the matter. It merits only the response of a cringe; we would be lucky if any mecha franchise cameos aren't referred to as 'Transformers'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2