• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of July 22-28

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:35 pm Reply with quote
My Hero Academia at the top as it should.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Dear god Restaurant freaking plummeted, can't say it was unexpected though.

Top two shows of the season rightfully dominating the charts.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Dear god Restaurant freaking plummeted, can't say it was unexpected though. .

It'll probably be back up next week. It does seem to be different from what many were wanting it to be admittedly. I guess just me and Zac like what they are cooking up, metaphorically speaking.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:26 pm Reply with quote
People are really liking the Stain battle. I thought it was very neat too, but I think it's pretty premature for people to call it the apex of My Hero Academia.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:53 pm Reply with quote
As we head into the fourth week, I continue to be amazed that the two shows I'm enjoying the most this season - Action Heroine Cheer Fruits and Teekyuu Season Nine - didn't end up being popular enough to make it into ANN's streaming review lineup.

I guess Teekyuu isn't really that much of a surprise - after nine seasons, you're either a fan of the show, or you aren't - but it turns out that being an "HDIVE Exclusive" series has ended up hurting Cheer Fruits way more than I thought it would have. It's such a shame, because it's a really good show, and it has been getting better and better every episode. At least it's getting YuriNation coverage, which is probably the Western site that is inclined to view it most favorably (the show took a major detour towards yuri after the first episode).

At any rate, I suppose I'm going to have to read this season's rankings with the personal caveat that my favorite shows of the summer aren't going to be included.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:10 pm Reply with quote
At 3 min long, Teekyuu never even had a chance of being considered for streaming coverage
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
@BodaciousSpacePirate AFAIK shorts aren't covered weekly. I think Ninja Slayer is the only non full length show covered weekly and that was on the longer end of shorts (about half length IIRC) and even then only the first cours was covered. I could be mistaken but I think shorts aren't even offered as an option for the daily streaming review polls. I can kind of see why. For Teekyuu, it would be kind of difficult to write much. Maybe you could point out any references but it would be difficult to make more than a paragraph let alone a full review. Two minutes doesn't provide much material to write about. I could summarize today's episode in a sentence or two and I have no idea what you'd write about critically, at least about one episode. The production values and pacing are consistent through all episodes and you either find it funny or you don't. What is there to say, episode to episode? Plus none of the regular daily streaming reviewers have seen all of it (Mike Toole is the only one on this site that I know has seen it, at least up to the eighth season).

But yeah, I thought Cheer Fruits would have gotten through, given the critical response in the preview guide. While it isn't my favorite, I've been enjoying it well enough.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:13 pm Reply with quote
It's only fairly recently that shorts were even included in the Preview Guide, since the running logic was that a review isn't very helpful if takes longer to read than the show takes to watch. I'm also really at a loss as to what you could talk about with Teekyuu - it's 2 minutes of condensed, machine-gun-fire gags with no plot to speak of. It'd be like reviewing sunday comic strips 1 series at a time.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:34 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Two minutes doesn't provide much material to write about. I could summarize today's episode in a sentence or two and I have no idea what you'd write about critically, at least about one episode. The production values and pacing are consistent through all episodes and you either find it funny or you don't. What is there to say, episode to episode?

I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand, you're absolutely right that just in terms of length, Teekyuu would be a very hard show to write about week to week. On the other hand, aside from length, virtually every reason why it would be hard to write about Teekyuu could also be applied to many full-length gag-comedy 4koma adaptations, which sites like AngryAnimeBitches and YuriNation do review from week to week.

Part of the appeal of Teekyuu is that a coeur of the show is supposed to more or less contain the same amount of dialogue / gags / service as a season of Anne-Happy, Kiniro Mosaic, etc., but in a more compressed "format". Is there really any more - or conversely, any less - that can be written from week-to-week about Teekyuu than its longer peers?

That being said, I can totally understand why ANN doesn't have weekly Teekyuu writeups - it would be a pretty silly thing to have someone do.

lossthief wrote:
It'd be like reviewing sunday comic strips 1 series at a time.

Aw man, now I miss ComicsAlliance's monthly Funky Winkerbean review column.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:25 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand, you're absolutely right that just in terms of length, Teekyuu would be a very hard show to write about week to week. On the other hand, aside from length, virtually every reason why it would be hard to write about Teekyuu could also be applied to many full-length gag-comedy 4koma adaptations, which sites like AngryAnimeBitches and YuriNation do review from week to week.

Part of the appeal of Teekyuu is that a coeur of the show is supposed to more or less contain the same amount of dialogue / gags / service as a season of Anne-Happy, Kiniro Mosaic, etc., but in a more compressed "format". Is there really any more - or conversely, any less - that can be written from week-to-week about Teekyuu than its longer peers?

That being said, I can totally understand why ANN doesn't have weekly Teekyuu writeups - it would be a pretty silly thing to have someone do.

Other 4koma's tend to have a bit more narrative and character meat to chew on that is ripe for critical review. In last season's Hinako Note, Winter's Urara Meirocho, GochiUsa, along with your examples, stuff actually happens over the course of the season, both in the plot and characters (more or less) but after 8 seasons and change, what has actually happened in Teekyuu? That's not why anyone watches the show - we're just here for the manzai machine gun - but it does make it hard to review especially episodically. Not to say the others have a lot of plot or character development and they might still be hard to write a lot about - though New Game, especially in the current season, has been ambitious on those fronts - but there is something there.

They definitely have about as much of the gags and whatnot that other 4koma's do. Compressed is right. I used to joke you could double the length of the episode just by slowing down how fast they talk, which they pretty much did with Usakame (well maybe more like 1.5x but still), though I think it suffered for it.
nx6

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:11 am Reply with quote
Nobody's watching Fate/Apocypha?
dcmc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:57 am Reply with quote
nx6 wrote:
Nobody's watching Fate/Apocypha?

non legal streaming not included.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1