• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tsuredure Children

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
oh yay... I love tsuredure so I'm glad it's getting a review.
and thank you for using the love master as the review image
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Well they have to give Nick something else to review since Symphogear is in licensing hell and Owari isn't airing weekly.

Not a bad choice for the first short to get daily streaming coverage, even beyond being on the longer side of shorts. It is a romantic comedy in the most straightforward reading of the word. It is very funny and probably one of my favorite shorts ever. I don't know that I would say it is the funniest comedy this season, personally speaking, but it's up there. I don't know that I agree with Nick's characterization of the season overall - though two of the most anticipated, and popular as far as I can tell, shows being on hold by Netflix doesn't help.

I would be interested in more weekly shorts coverage (at least for the longer ones) so I'm interested to see how this goes.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Tsuredure Children is, I think, more of an exception than a trend-setter when it comes to doing weekly reviews. Its length (12 minutes) and being divided into three segments that build on previous segments provides enough material to comment on week-to-week. Most other shorts - even among the longer ones - can't manage that.

That aside, I've been keeping up with this one and enjoying it immensely. In fact, I can't remember the last time I followed a simulcast short this deep into the season, much less two of therm (also keeping up with NTR).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:00 pm Reply with quote
This has been the only show that I routinely watch within 24 hours of it airing. There is something about it, similar to moe, that makes me indescribably happy and inspired. I'm really happy to see it getting reviewed weekly for the rest of the season. I don't typically follow shorts and, for that reason, don't really care if most of them get reviews, but this was definitely one that deserved it.
The comedy skit couple might be my favorite right now, but my love of Inori Minase makes me also adore that couple. Speaking of, this show also has a loaded cast, for those who care. I'm not regularly following seiyu, yet I'm familiar with, and would consider myself a fan of, nearly every major character's seiyu so far.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:41 pm Reply with quote
First I must correct myself. This is actually the second, not the first, short to get daily streaming coverage, after Ninja Slayer, its first cours at least.

Key wrote:
Tsuredure Children is, I think, more of an exception than a trend-setter when it comes to doing weekly reviews. Its length (12 minutes) and being divided into three segments that build on previous segments provides enough material to comment on week-to-week. Most other shorts - even among the longer ones - can't manage that.

That aside, I've been keeping up with this one and enjoying it immensely. In fact, I can't remember the last time I followed a simulcast short this deep into the season, much less two of them (also keeping up with NTR).

While I agree that it wouldn't work for most shorts, I do think there could be some longer ones that could warrant weekly review. I'd think one could find enough stuff to say about NTR, though I'll defer to your judgement on that one if you think otherwise since you watch the show. I think it would be worth at least feeling out demand for at least a few of the longer ones in the daily streaming review poll.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:37 am Reply with quote
Well, this was a nice surprise amidst all the day's chaos! As I mentioned in another thread, this is this season's Kemono Friends for me. Smile

Kaji (tsundere yanki) and Akagi (her boyfriend) have an interesting D/s vibe, done better than anything I've ever seen in anime. Kana and Chiaki (sketch couple) seem like a romantic take on Nichibros' impromptu rps, and are pitch perfect. I also loved the sly look on Kana's mom's face when she was putting down the tray.

I love how Kamine and Gouda (who confessed over a lost contact lens) are never on the same page in their conversations. Likewise Takano and Sugawara (sharing an umbrella), who are out of sync for different reasons.

Takase and Kanda's text confession fiasco had me on the floor, but I'm a bit confused by how they got from "I missed my chance but let's meet here and I'll confess to you tomorrow" to having awkward "how do I confess" texts apparently weeks or months later.

Then we have the triangles and polygons, with the teasing Minagawa, Furuya and his bro-con little sister Hotaru; Kurihara, nerdy Yamane ("Badger, Badger, Mushroom!!" - it was funny, but I feel like there's a pun there I'm not getting) and his bff Motoyama (can't wait to see how that date turns out); and Sasahara, who loved Yukawa until he graduated, then maybe Kaga, who is also loved by childhood friend Nanase (Kaga's mom was also great "Wait, was that still a secret?"). And the Love Master Katori who will likely romance a new girl every episode he's in. He's the wind, you can't pin him down!

I dunno, they seem to have covered just about every kind of couple. How can they not have a gay couple?? I guess if they feel out of their depth on that, it's better not to do it than do it badly, but it's a shame if they don't.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

That aside, I've been keeping up with this one and enjoying it immensely. In fact, I can't remember the last time I followed a simulcast short this deep into the season, much less two of therm (also keeping up with NTR).

Ditto. My reliance on CR for anime entertainment this season has been buoyed by these 2 shows. I wish I could afford Amazon Anime Strike also to view their selection of amorous liaisons but like in other forms of discretionary spending: too many cool shows elsewhere, too few bucks in hand to peruse........boo hoo.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Glad the show is getting review, it's pretty darn amazing as far as I'm concerned. I'm not too much into romance anime because they tend to drag way too long, but this format is really nice and almost all the character have been interesting so far.

Plus that mom! Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The segment wasn't all that great on the whole, since “Dating Master” has pretty much already run out of jokes, but his second successful performance did make me appreciate that the show understands he's an idiot. Dating Master is basically a fountain of cliches and bad advice, and the fact that he got completely shut down in his first appearance indicates the show actually knows this...

This is Katori's 3rd appearance, and I still find his dramatic posing hilarious. "Seeing you takes me back to the days when I would be trembling in the rain," is a line worth its weight in cheese. Very Happy He was also shamelessly violating at least two rules of urinal etiquette, as I'm given to understand them. But what really sold the whole scene was realizing that, in order to pull off his vanishing act, he was hiding out in one of the stalls until Takase left. Takase was between him and the door, so there was no other way to disappear "like the wind."

The dueling text messages between Hotaru and Minagawa were also hilarious. Basically, this episode had me laughing from start to finish. I love this show.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:43 am Reply with quote
One thing that surprises me in this show is how it has just a touch of sexual frankness, without ever getting skeevy or gross. Obviously there was the bit in episode 4 where the two can't get it started (and end up getting interrupted by mom), but also in this one where Yuki jokes about sleeping with Jun and feigns pregnancy in her text messages in order to mess with Hotaru. It goes farther than you'd see in, say, Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, but it doesn't feel disrespectful or exploitative either.

With so many pairings, it would be nice if we could have one or two that weren't cishet, but beyond that I'm grateful for what we've got here.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:30 am Reply with quote
The first ep. didn't leave much of an impression on me, so i only picked this up again after reading the reviews and comments and i'm really glad i did!

This is such a charming little show which manages to flesh out it's characters a lot better than many anime with a longer runtime and a smaller cast...and of course, the "Dating Master" is love! Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I feel almost guilty for saying Akagi and Ryoko are also one of my favorite couples, considering Akagi's behavior can often slip into awkwardly predatory behavior, but watching Ryoko flip between totally flustered and “dude, you're an idiot” is one of the greatest Tsuredure Children pleasures.

They're my favorite couple too, but I don't see it as predatory, since she could be on her way at any time and he wouldn't pursue her against her wishes. He pushes, she doesn't run away, but pushes back in her own style. They're clearly a D/s couple, and both are enjoying their roles in this kinky little relationship.

It's really interesting to me that we have no less than 3 different couples engaged in various forms of roleplay: Akagi x Ryoko, Chiaki x Kana, and Katori x Hosokawa. I think the KxH have the rest beat, and they don't even seem to realize they're rping.

It could be argued that Gouda and Kamine are also playing the roles of who they believe the other person expects them to be, but that's kind of a stretch. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Just started this show yesterday after hearing good things about it and quickly blew through all the episodes and even started checking out the manga (As there are a several couples not in the anime). I adore this show, it's got an excellent balance of comedy and sugary feels without the usual drama and cliches that most romance series have (screw you nise koi with like 500 chapters of manga and the main character not confessing until the very last chapter).
Morry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:03 am Reply with quote
I can't be the only manga reader laughing that two couples cameo'd in ep. 8 despite getting otherwise cut from the anime. Hope for s2. Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:21 am Reply with quote
Ah, the old katazun maneuver. I was surprised that Gouda was really sleeping though. I thought he was hyperventilating at having her head in his lap.

I'm starting to seriously dislike Minagawa though. While I enjoyed her playing with Hotaru who was asking for it, her teasing has gone from seeming like a mask for her mild insecurity to being outright sadistic. I want Furuya to just tell her to take her games and shove off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3