• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Mega Man Legacy Collection 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:26 pm Reply with quote
That new Mega Man set is a pretty mixed bag. 7 is just a terrible game ( made even worse by it being released a year after MMX). 8 is pretty solid with a wonderful art style. I'd put 9 on par with best of the old ones, despite how cheap it could be at points. 10 was just a quick cash-in with terrible level design. Disappointed that the set doesn't include Mega Man & Bass which was really good.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Mega Man Legacy Collection 2: People only seem to remember 8 for its dub and little else, and it wasn't even produced in the U.S. But hey, you can always switch to Japanese text and get the Japanese audio so you can hear the legendary Takeshi Aono voice Dr. Wily in the distinctively amazing way he did for years before his passing. Based on what I've heard though, the bosses are actually worse in Japanese as it sounds like their voice actors were trying too hard to nail down their individual personalities; Frost Man does not sound big and brutish enough for his size, Grenade Man's voice is just flat and Aqua Man's is terribly scratchy and squeaky beyond belief (by comparison, the native English speakers living in Japan did a much better job on the bosses because they played up their individual personalities with their attempt). The only two that sounded good in Japanese were Tengu Man (not surprising since he is based on a Japanese demon) and Astro Man (digitized voice cuteness); interesting coincidence since those two were reused for Mega Man & Bass. Mega Man 8 is also easier than its predecessors and successors, so it's not a rough ride for anyone if you're worried about difficulty (though it lacks E-Tanks).

As for 7, it's a fantastic game in my opinion because there's so much to discover before even finishing off all the bosses. Great music too, and a super challenging Wily final boss fight if you're into that sort of punishment. Mega Man's mercy invincibility in this game is mercilessly short, so you can't even afford to make the same mistakes you could in previous and future titles. I think that helps make the player pay more attention and minimize damage far more than you normally would. Mega Man 7 really doesn't deserve the attitude it gets since it doesn't really do anything wrong. It just came at a time when Mega Man X's darker themed series entered the scene; people were growing up and more into that kind of thing.

Summon Night 6: This is definitely the Summon Night to play as it brings together all of the main selectable heroes from across the series. It will give interested parties a chance to get to know protagonists from games we didn't get. Unfortunately, the reaction to the English dub trailer that Gaijinworks put up a while ago is generating the Mega Man 8 response. I don't know why they just won't release another trailer that has the more professional VAs from across English dubs doing some scenes to change everyone's minds. I'm a little disappointed that the VAs from the Working Designs days of dubbing sounded so listless in their acting. I guess it'll be up to the others to salvage the game's dub.
Adamanto

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:00 am Reply with quote
So can someone please explain why it's supposedly such a negative that rereleases of classic games don't come with "you can save before every single slight challenge in the game, then reload if you fail" cheats that let you rush through the entire thing in an hour? Modern games don't have them, and these games weren't exactly designed to be played like that either. What's next, complaining that they don't come with invincibility options?

As for the games themselves, MM7 and 8 always felt really half-hearted and shoddy compared to both the NES originals they were follow-ups to AND the MMX games they were released at the same time as.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:54 am Reply with quote
Adamanto wrote:
So can someone please explain why it's supposedly such a negative that rereleases of classic games don't come with "you can save before every single slight challenge in the game, then reload if you fail" cheats that let you rush through the entire thing in an hour?

Simple because while many of us grew up on challenging games from the 8 and 16 bit eras not all of us were big on the whole "lose all your lives/continues start the game from the beginning" routine. Another reason for why save states exist is that back in the old days not every video game had saving functionality which could be brutal if you either wanted to stop playing a game or through no fault of your own the system got turned off. While some games did have password saves that was more often than not a crapshoot if someone's eyesight or penmanship was suspect.

As for modern games not having yes they don't as modern games

A. Have save and autosave functions.
B. Aren't designed as dubiously as 80's and 90's games were.
C. Would be far more out of place than they would be in old school games.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Adamanto wrote:
So can someone please explain why it's supposedly such a negative that rereleases of classic games don't come with "you can save before every single slight challenge in the game, then reload if you fail" cheats that let you rush through the entire thing in an hour? Modern games don't have them, and these games weren't exactly designed to be played like that either. What's next, complaining that they don't come with invincibility options?

Really all it comes down to is that emulators have that feature so there's an expectation for official retro re-releases to have it as well. People feel ripped off when they pay for something that doesn't have the features they can get (illegally) for free.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Adamanto wrote:

Modern gamers are used to incredibly forgiving games, especially modern AAA games where autosaving is done before and after every event. The idea of playing through a level from start to finish, including boss, is not common anymore.

Rockman 7 and 8 to me suffer from feeling extremely slow paced, which is a departure from 1-6, and unlike X, they don't have dashing and wall jumps to compensate. Even the slide in 8 feels ridiculously slow.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1