• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Eight Great Things Yet to Come in 2017

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quote
Ys VIII isn't too far off from release now, and Ys Origin has really helped to ease (haha) the wait. :D

Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition: I wonder if people have gotten sick of hearing anything related to FFXV by now. This mobile version would help to get through the story without sidequests bogging the player down while playing on the go, but I think people want to see something new from Square Enix at this stage.

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle: Despite the sheer absurdity of this crossover, it's been shaping up to be a real contender since its original reveal. The gameplay videos tell me this is going to be a moderately big hit. And hey, Mario with guns finally happened.

Warriors All-Stars: Preordered this a while back. I can't wait to destroy hordes of enemies with Sophie.

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Anything to wash away the memories of Other M

I'm confused. Why would you want to wash away memories of a great game?
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:17 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Quote:
Anything to wash away the memories of Other M

I'm confused. Why would you want to wash away memories of a great game?

Are you really going to try that?
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:23 am Reply with quote
Hey, there are people who actually do like Other M.

I mean, my hatred for it will not die until I do, but I'm happy it brought some joy to a few...very few...people.
NobodysDawn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
No mention for Danganronpa v3?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:36 am Reply with quote
Not as few as you imply. People mostly get bent out of shape over the imagined "ruining" of Samus's character, completely forgetting that before Other M Samus didn't actually have a character. People created their own image of her in their minds and when reality didn't match their fantasy they took issue.

The gameplay could be a bit wonky at times but the unique control scheme mostly worked. There's still plenty of exploring to do but the narrative gives enough direction so that people like me don't waste so much time trying to figure out what you're supposed to do next. The boss battles are big and epic with music to match. As much as the fight with Ridley gets flak the prior cutscene actually adds weight to the battle and turns Ridley into a serious threat. He wasn't just a joke cockroach boss anymore.

Also, anyone who claims that Samus listening to a legitimate authority figure she has a personal respect for is sexist just because Adam is male can go F right off.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Not as few as you imply. People mostly get bent out of shape over the imagined "ruining" of Samus's character, completely forgetting that before Other M Samus didn't actually have a character. People created their own image of her in their minds and when reality didn't match their fantasy they took issue

She technically did, it's just America never got the supplemental material like any of the manga.

I think there's two issues with Metroid in the west. The first is poor localization. It's a bit like Dragonball Z where the dub tried to make it edgy and serious with the music, voices, and dialog. The American marketing made Samus into some kind of Amazon looking woman if you go by things like Nintendo Power and commercials. Americans grew up with a differant image than Japan did.

The second is, franky, issues with women in gaming are a very American thing. Samus needs to be a feminist icon here, for whatever reason, so she is subjected to a lot of scrutiny. She's often cited as the first female video game protagonist,and maybe she was for America, but Japan had tons of female centric games. The Valis franchise came out in Japan the same year as Metroid, and was far more 'girl-power' than Metroid was. since Yuko never hid her gender in full body armor. Female protagonists might be rare in the west, but fairly common in Japan. Personally, I just wonder how those people explain away all the sexy reveal shots of Samus which rewards the player for beating the game quickly.

I'm hesitant about Samus Returns. I love 2D Metroid, but MercuryStream's name attatched to it makes me very concerned.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
The second is, franky, issues with women in gaming are a very American thing. Samus needs to be a feminist icon here, for whatever reason, so she is subjected to a lot of scrutiny. She's often cited as the first female video game protagonist,and maybe she was for America, but Japan had tons of female centric games. The Valis franchise came out in Japan the same year as Metroid, and was far more 'girl-power' than Metroid was. since Yuko never hid her gender in full body armor. Female protagonists might be rare in the west, but fairly common in Japan. Personally, I just wonder how those people explain away all the sexy reveal shots of Samus which rewards the player for beating the game quickly.

Too bad Valis eventually turned over to the hentai side of things to turn a profit.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:

Too bad Valis eventually turned over to the hentai side of things to turn a profit.

And not in a good way either. A number of the Valis X titles have futanari in it for starters, but it just gets worse from there.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Not as few as you imply. People mostly get bent out of shape over the imagined "ruining" of Samus's character, completely forgetting that before Other M Samus didn't actually have a character.

Not only did Japan audiences receive a ton of manga that establish the character of Samus (I would link to the extensive bibliography of titles, but the only comprehensive list I can find is from a dedicated Metroid manga scanlation site), but Western subscribers of Nintendo Power were treated to one of the first major English-language video game tie-in manga serializations in the form of Benimaru Itoh's Super Metroid manga.

Years later, Metroid would receive another Nintendo Power serialization in the form of Kato Li's Metroid Prime comic book (produced in partnership with Dark Horse and Dreamwave).

There's also the (since retconned) Samus stuff from the 80s, mostly in the form of Valiant Comic's tie-in Captain N comic book series. These comics were notable because they were actually the first media to depict Samus with the long blonde hair that is now commonly associated with "Zero Suit Samus"!
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I think there's two issues with Metroid in the west. The first is poor localization. It's a bit like Dragonball Z where the dub tried to make it edgy and serious with the music, voices, and dialog. The American marketing made Samus into some kind of Amazon looking woman if you go by things like Nintendo Power and commercials. Americans grew up with a differant image than Japan did.

It's debatable if you can call it poor localization since the Samus the west got was far more interesting than the original one. It's like the classic Jaws story, were Spielberg wanted to have the shark be in the movie a lot but because the animatronic kept breaking he had to make do without, this mistake ended up creating a far superior product.

Anyway, fact of the matter is that Samus always was the kind of person who go on a planet full of monster/space pirate alone with no backup and never asked for permission to do stuff. Other M personality simply doesn't fit that (especially when she just accept being slowly burned alive rather than using her heat resistant armor cause she wasn't authorized, hell didn't even ask for authorization). At that point in the game Samus had fought against Ridley at least 5 times, she was paralyzed in exactly 0 of these and had to be rescued in 0 of these.

But even without the story element the gameplay was poor at best, being forced to use the d-pad for 3d movement was beyond dumb, especially when paired with having to aim with the wii mote.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
2017 has already been an embarrassment of gaming riches, and that's especially true for fans of Japanese development. The best Yakuza yet made it to the West, Team Ninja put together perhaps the best Souls derivative in Nioh, Atlus released an unbelievably stylish entry in the Persona series, Yoko Taro teamed with Platinum for one of the most wildly daring games in recent memory, and Nintendo's been firing on all cylinders with a tremendous new console, thoroughly refined editions of terrific multiplayer games, and an absolutely incredible reinvention of Zelda.

Two of these things are not like the others and two of these things just don't belong.

NobodysDawn wrote:
No mention for Danganronpa v3?

Game comes out late next month not next week.

Quote:
Not one, not two, not three, not five—four Ultimate Ninja STORM games, covering nearly a decade's worth of shonen adaptations. While the Legacy edition is on the pricey side, it does include the recently-released fourth game. But if you're just interest in the remastered trilogy, that'll be available in digital formats at $49.99. That's a lot of Naruto.

I feel this was supposed to be a joke that kind of fell flat especially if you reconcile the fact that technically there are 6 Storm games (2 of those 6 aren't in this collection).

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of the YS series, Limited Run Games will be selling physical copies of YS Origin starting tomorrow for PS4 and Vita! And unlike a lot of their other games which hold very true to the words "limited", only the special edition will be limited and the standard ones won't have a limit! You kind of do need to order it tomorrow though, it's being manufactured based on order number here.

I've yet to play a YS game, but I am going to pre-order this tomorrow. But I've played part of Falcom's Legend of Heroes series, Trails of Cold Steel in particular, and it's honestly so good that only Persona and Megaten are able to stand in its company. So if you're played out on Persona 5 for a while but still need a good RPG, bust out your PS3, Vita, or PSTV and grab these two games because they are pretty cheap right now.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:41 pm Reply with quote
That's Monster Hunter as the banner image for this article on the front page right?
Yet it's not mentioned in this article.......
You fooled me good..
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:48 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Technically made by a different company after the series ended and the rights were sold off. Some would say semi-official hentai is a perk, or consider it a testament to it's popularity.

meiam wrote:
It's debatable if you can call it poor localization since the Samus the west got was far more interesting than the original one
There are people who would say that about every dub or localization, it's all preference. It's not surprising people who grew up with one version would hold it to be more special over another. That's partly why the Prime spin offs are more popular than the 2D entries in America, and vice versa in Japan
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2