• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Search not finding relevant results

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if this was possibly an unintended consequence of the domain hijacking, since I can't remember whether I noticed it before the site went down, but the search function seems to be omitting the most relevant results for any particular term. For example, if you run a search for something like One Piece, the "All" tab displays a bunch of recent news articles, but even when you specifically select "Encyclopedia," it doesn't display the main pages for either the manga or anime. There are plenty of sub-links, to things like chapter/episode lists and trivia pages, and even links to spin-off movies and specials, but none for the series proper. I know the main pages were pretty much always the top few hits in the past.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I noticed this too. The show's actual main encyclopedia page doesn't show up. I just get all kinds of other stuff. Stuff that I didn't even know existed. Like a page dedicated to links to unofficial fansites. This only seems to happen if you search "anywhere on the site" using the top search bar. If you (using the top search bar thingy) select "in the encyclopedia" on the drop-down thingy, then you can find the main encyclopedia page.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Huh, you're right, the top-bar encyclopedia option works fine. It's just the tab on the main search landing that's omitting results.
aquadon1963

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:24 am Reply with quote
Yes I've noticed this as well . Over the last year or so... where before i could type in even a portion of the name of a series and the search engine would bring up the main encyclopedia page 95% of the time . But yes especially now i even put series names in with exact spelling and they still won't come up directly .
I love this site ..im on here everyday ..but this is bothersome .
I hope you could maybe implement a search browser that starts to search while you are typing in the name of a series Like the one on MAL. thanks for your hard work
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:51 am Reply with quote
I have the same problem. Though it started even before attack on the site. Attack simply made it even worse.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Hi All,

The current severity of the search problem is because of the hack. It will take time for Google to completely index the site.

That said, I haven't been very happy with the Google Search for ages now. As you may know, two new developers, Genesis and Emmanuel, recently joined our team. There's a long todo list, and right now they're still learning the ins & outs of ANN code, but we expect to make a lot of progress in the to-do list, and I'll add an improved search to the list as well.

Chris
Calico

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Maybe a bit off topic, but with the new improved search, will there be an option to display results by most recent? It's hard to search through news without that option.
aquadon1963

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:21 am Reply with quote
Thanks Tempest ..for all your hard work .. i look forward to the new &/or improved search engine
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Maybe a bit off topic, but with the new improved search, will there be an option to display results by most recent? It's hard to search through news without that option.

I haven't spec'd it yet, but that seems to be a relatively logical feature to include.

On the topic at hand, the search seems to be working now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1