• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Live-Action Fullmetal Alchemist's Winry, Anime Voice Actresses Comment on New Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ochinchinsama69

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:26 pm Reply with quote
They made Riza blond so why not Winry as well, it's perplexing..
MadHi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:29 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to know what people involved with the series would think but I hate it when people use their comments to validate a stance on the movie. Even if I found it to be bad and Hiromu Arakawa said it was perfect, it wouldn't change my opinion even if she is the original creator. Then we'd have to acknowledge that Jar Jar Binks is the best Star Wars character.

Just Saiyan, regardless of who it is, whatever they think doesn't mean you have to agree unconditionally.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:51 pm Reply with quote
So Kugimiya will still voice Al?
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
So no reaction from Megumi Toyoguchi or Megumi Takamoto?
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Cool to hear positive comments on this movie I'm getting excited for--but still curious/waiting to find out what its running time is.
jppcouto

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
MadHi wrote:
It's nice to know what people involved with the series would think but I hate it when people use their comments to validate a stance on the movie. Even if I found it to be bad and Hiromu Arakawa said it was perfect, it wouldn't change my opinion even if she is the original creator. Then we'd have to acknowledge that Jar Jar Binks is the best Star Wars character.

Just Saiyan, regardless of who it is, whatever they think doesn't mean you have to agree unconditionally.

Agree, because the creator wouldn't get anything good by saying bad things to a live action adaptation.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Agreed MadHi.

Yeah, I'm curious what the runtime is going to be. Hopefully it's not too short. Looking forward to it.

Ochinchinsama69 wrote:
They made Riza blond so why not Winry as well, it's perplexing..

Heh yeah, I thought that was weird too seeing the poster, not that it's a big deal but I thought it was weird.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:05 am Reply with quote
I wonder what their stance is the on the Japanization of a series that is largely European based. If that recent GiTS is to be criticized for whitewashing, then this upcoming film should have the same criticism.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:16 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I wonder what their stance is the on the Japanization of a series that is largely European based. If that recent GiTS is to be criticized for whitewashing, then this upcoming film should have the same criticism.

Except this film is produced in a homogeneous country, giving Japan a valid excuse (especially when it's easier for Japanese directors to work with actors that speak the same language as them) whereas Hollywood/America has its diversity but doesn't normally go through the trouble of really using it when it counts. Like I mentioned before, my main concern with this movie is its running time. If I were to know that it's at least 2-and-a-half hours, then I can feel optimistic about them doing at least the core story justice in a single movie. Either way, I'm hoping this movie will be at least fun on its own and am willing to give it a chance before pre-judging it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1