• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight - Recovery of an MMO Junkie

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lebrel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:40 am Reply with quote
Cautiously enthused about this one. I really hope it follows through on the gender-flipping implied in the premise. Or at least some flexibility in gendered traits.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing the RL businessman is also the "angel" she'll meet in the game. Or at the very least the angel will turn out to be a dude. It'll probably just be another yuri bait. I doubt they have any interest in looking at gender, they just want to have the cake and eat it to, have a male lead in the action stuff and a female lead for fan service.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I'm guessing the RL businessman is also the "angel" she'll meet in the game. Or at the very least the angel will turn out to be a dude. It'll probably just be another yuri bait. I doubt they have any interest in looking at gender, they just want to have the cake and eat it to, have a male lead in the action stuff and a female lead for fan service.

Really? Gonna make this gender-related for no real reason at all? Not everything has to have a message or push an agenda. Some things can just be made for entertainment. And if we're gonna be realistic, the chances of a female character in-game being a male in real life are EXTREMELY high. Especially in Japan. So if it WAS another female, that would be less believable. Having two in the same party is even less likely unless they joined the game together.

Anime itself sounds fairly interesting. I'm all for anime with older characters. I'm also all about anime starring Mamiko Noto. One of the best seiyuu of all time that never gets enough roles anymore. I'm also really excited about the new Megumi Nakajima song.

I am curious how they came up with that english title. It's very different than what the Japanese title translate to.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Really? Gonna make this gender-related for no real reason at all? Not everything has to have a message or push an agenda. Some things can just be made for entertainment. And if we're gonna be realistic, the chances of a female character in-game being a male in real life are EXTREMELY high. Especially in Japan. So if it WAS another female, that would be less believable. Having two in the same party is even less likely unless they joined the game together.

Agenda? They just want to make sure they can sell eye candy figurine of the female main character but at the same time they know that male lead do better in action scene (see SAO). They also know that straight couple sell more than homosexual one, but that at the same time there's a significant market for yuri stuff, so there just double dipping here again.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing ALL of the people listed also are behind one of the MMO player characters. Because, it is much more convenient for the script, makes better use of time for character exposition and is one of the standard items on the checklist when you're cooking up a show on this theme. There's one more game character listed than there are people mentioned, so they're going to introduce at least one around mid-season.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I doubt they have any interest in looking at gender, they just want to have the cake and eat it to, have a male lead in the action stuff and a female lead for fan service.
If this was a fanservice show the Lily game character would be wearing a lot less clothing.

meiam wrote:
Agenda? They just want to make sure they can sell eye candy figurine of the female main character but at the same time they know that male lead do better in action scene (see SAO).
This show doesn't look like a fanservice show. Also based on the description Moriko Morioka is the protagonist of the story.
lebrel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:43 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I'm guessing the RL businessman is also the "angel" she'll meet in the game. Or at the very least the angel will turn out to be a dude. It'll probably just be another yuri bait.

I think that was already revealed in some of the promo material, iirc.

meiam wrote:
I doubt they have any interest in looking at gender, they just want to have the cake and eat it to, have a male lead in the action stuff and a female lead for fan service.

Kougeru wrote:
Really? Gonna make this gender-related for no real reason at all? Not everything has to have a message or push an agenda. Some things can just be made for entertainment.

Considering the premise, and considering that it looks at least female-freindly if not actually female-targeted, I remain cautiously optimistic that it will. Things can be made for entertainment and still deal with real issues, and it doesn't have to be in a "heavy" way.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I think part of the problem is that they used a region locked trailer in the spotlight article while an article from a month ago included a trailer that wasn't region locked. That might be why a few people are jumping to some unlikely conclusions because they haven't seen the trailer.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:36 am Reply with quote
Why does it feel like writer knew Takahiro Sakurai was going to be cast in that role and just went with his last name as the character's last name? Or just it's randomly coincidental he ends up with the same last name. Probably the latter.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:45 am Reply with quote
Given how they have done a few gaming anime simuldubs, I would be surprised Funi didn't do a simuldub of this, assuming they also picked it up (after Crunchyroll). Assuming they do, I would imagine whoever might play Moriko would be happy to play someone in their age category. That is, a lot of the women on the Funi pay roll are 30+ years old.
Naotomato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I just found myself in anime form *sobs*
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:00 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I think part of the problem is that they used a region locked trailer in the spotlight article while an article from a month ago included a trailer that wasn't region locked. That might be why a few people are jumping to some unlikely conclusions because they haven't seen the trailer.

At the very elast, I'll say that I can't watch the trailer. Seems to be blocked for people in the United States.
luigi-dude10

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
meiam wrote:

Anime itself sounds fairly interesting. I'm all for anime with older characters. I'm also all about anime starring Mamiko Noto. One of the best seiyuu of all time that never gets enough roles anymore. I'm also really excited about the new Megumi Nakajima song.

I am curious how they came up with that english title. It's very different than what the Japanese title translate to.

I agree, why does everything have to be political or be about "muh gender" horsecrap nowadays?.... well of course It's because everyone TRIES to make it about that, but overall I love the premise and am excited to see what is basically "adult" Tomoko from Watamote... I don't think we'll see too much substance in just 10 episodes but hey, seem cute.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1