• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Netflix to Produce 30 'New' Anime Series for 2018 Release

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TD912

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Maybe the real threat to Crunchyroll isn't Amazon, but... Netflix?

Sure is getting super competitive in the world of anime streaming recently...
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:12 pm Reply with quote
That's about 7-8 shows per season. Impressive...
Niello

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Looks like they are really going all out. If the funding helps studios up the quality of their shows then I'm looking forward to this. Most of this year except the current fall season was like a long drought.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:15 pm Reply with quote
There are already tons and tons of shows that I used to watch on Netflix but are no longer there anymore, and I'm kind of worried that their goal of achieving "50% original content" might mean that they're planning on not renewing a lot of the content that is expiring this coming year.

Last edited by BodaciousSpacePirate on Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:16 pm Reply with quote
If these are actually Netflix originals and not just shows Netflix throws money at to steal from everybody else then more power to them! I'd love to see Netflix produce more anime. But it's still not gonna stop me from watching Violet Garden as it airs and sharing it with every anime fan I've ever met...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:18 pm Reply with quote
All of those shows are action except for Rilakkuma.

I hope they produce at least something that isn't action, even if it's some slice-of-life romance...

I hate that music anime are irrelevant in the West... I just want people here to know that not all anime is action...
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:22 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
If these are actually Netflix originals and not just shows Netflix throws money at to steal from everybody else then more power to them!

I don't even know how to make that distinction anymore. Is something like Little Witch Academia an actual "Netflix original" because Netflix helped finance the thing from the beginning, or is it just them throwing money at Trigger because they noticed that the OVAs were performing well on Netflix? The boundaries between what anime fans admire about Netflix and what anime fans dislike about Netflix are starting to get pretty blurry.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:23 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
There are already tons and tons of shows that I used to watch on Netflix but are no longer there anymore, and I'm kind of worried that their goal of achieving "50% original content" might mean that they're planning on not renewing a lot of the content that is expiring this coming year.

I think maybe more so than that, it's actually other companies not letting them renew as much content as they want. I think it's a bit of both, but there definitely seem to be some pretty wary Hollywood studios who aren't too keen on Netflix monopolizing the streaming business. Netflix simply wants to make sure they don't become obsolete and have something worth it for their subscribers to stick around when a lot of their licensed content goes poof.

TasteyCookie wrote:
If these are actually Netflix originals and not just shows Netflix throws money at to steal from everybody else then more power to them!

I don't even know how to make that distinction anymore. Is something like Little Witch Academia an actual "Netflix original" because Netflix helped finance the thing from the beginning, or is it just them throwing money at Trigger because they noticed that the OVAs were performing well on Netflix? The boundaries between what anime fans admire about Netflix and what anime fans dislike about Netflix are starting to get pretty blurry.

LWA is a bit of an in-between case. Netflix was heavily involved, but they weren't the primary producer, nor on the production committee. They did fund a significant amount of it though through their exclusive license, and from the sounds of it, even had an effect on the production schedule, which was longer than your typical show is granted.
The shows that they seem to be referring to in this article are mostly true(?) Netflix originals in a more real sense. Where they won't be on TV in Japan months before they are available anywhere else, and where Netflix IS on the Production Committee, if not entirely usurping the production committee system.

Last edited by relyat08 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:33 pm Reply with quote
fudge Netflix

Simulcast shows properly or GTFO
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:40 pm Reply with quote

I dunno it still seems pretty easy. If Netflix is on the (or is the entire) production committee, then it was a true Netflix original. Netflix wasn't on the production committee for LWA, which is why it was announced, and had it's Japanese TV airing announcements, all before it was announced that Netflix had purchased international rights for it (probably because of the success of the OVA's.) We don't have the production committee for Violet Evergarden, but we know that it had at least 2 episodes completely finished, and it's air dates announced before Netflix announced that they had the license. Which is pretty conclusive evidence that the whole project existed before Netflix.

True Netflix originals get announced as such and pretty much always are released on the same day worldwide, like AICO.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:41 pm Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:
fudge Netflix

If they make their own content, simulcasting is irrelevant. They can drop entire seasons whenever they want.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:48 pm Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:
fudge Netflix

That's putting it nicely. The words I would want to use would be the type that could get one banned on the forums.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:51 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:

While i kind of understand LWA's case, it still makes me bitter that this and a handful of other shows that Netflix pretty much only throws money at for exclusivity then gets the name "Netflix original" as if they had something in part to do with it and the work around it.

I work in New York and I've seen printed advertisements for Neo Yokio and other netflix original shows around. Yet none for any of the exclusive anime titles that are under the "Netflix Original" branding, and I'm fairly confident that I'll be pretty sure I won't see any such ads any time soon, and that kinda bugs me.

I understand that my example is very anecdotal but it annoys me quite a bit when there are discussions regarding the "work" netflix does to drive casual audiences to warrant the titles being called "original" and yet that doesnt' really seem to be the case, at least in my eyes. They just seem to be doing what ever other licensing company is doing except they get to put a fancy logo that makes it appear as if they had a part in the creation of the work. I remember when people used to make fun of Hulu for that when they started branding "Hulu Originals" for licensed shows from BBC.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:54 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
MarthKoopa wrote:
fudge Netflix

If they make their own content, simulcasting is irrelevant. They can drop entire seasons whenever they want.

I can bet you real money that those Netflix animes will either air in broadcast or be streamed in netflix japan on a weekly basis. So *grabs newspaper* bad netflix, bad netflix, no more of my money for you until you reflect on what you have done.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Netflix spends more money on anime!
Pluses: More anime gets produced!
Minuses: 1. It's all released in binge-able season chunks in every territory but Japan (where its simulcast)
2. Crunchyroll gets serious international competition

The linked article claims that Neo Yokio was Netflix's first original anime, which seems wrong, not least because according to Mike Toole, Neo Yokio was produced by Fox's ADHD initiative.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8