• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - How Does the Kino's Journey Remake Compare to the Original Series?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quote
Is it really necessary to keep comparing the remake to the original series? Confused
Nate148

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
yes when you tell the same story in two different ways yes
Loveless100

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:56 am Reply with quote
Personally, I see episode 2 as a matter of course to introduce Shizu and Riku. I don't think they would've adapted that chapter otherwise. I do agree that the episode was rushed and it made Kino look a bit crazy for having a whole country fight each other without any basis, but I guess she was stuck in cell for 3 days (from what the episode showed us, not based on the novel nor what the original anime showed). It almost seemed like it was driven not by the "caste" system but by revenge of the other travelers being killed.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I have only seen the new Kino's Journey but so far I am enjoying it. As for the Coliseum episode it does feel a bit rushed but considering the citizens of the country were making visitors fight to the death for their amusement I didn't see the problem with Kino's new rule. I have the feeling that trying to merge the details from three different versions of the Coliseum story might be a mistake.
zztop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Apparently the new Kino anime is adapting stories the LN fans voted as their most favourite in a 2015 poll. The Coliseum arc was one of those stories.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2017/10/09/what-stories-will-appear-in-kinos-journey

Sigsawa Keiichi also confirmed the new anime is to be treated as a remake, not a new S2 continuing the original S1.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I won't disagree with anyone who says the new Coliseum arc was bad, but I will say that the 03 version was not very good either, I think this should be considered season 2, and not a remake(providing they readopt as view of the previously adapted 03 stories as possible) because having it as a remake sort of ditches the 03 version.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Is it really necessary to keep comparing the remake to the original series? Confused

Like it or not a creative work does not exist in a vacuum. If the new Kino does things worse or better than the original, they will be pointed out.

As for me, I don't think I'll be watching it until I can get out of the mindset of going in expecting to not like it. The new visual direction does not sit well with me and I'm not hearing great things, so I think I'm going to sit this one out until I'm personally ready to give it a fair shake.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the second episode was a bit of a tragedy. I had multiple conversations with newcomers to the franchise through this adaptation about Kino afterwards, and most of them speculated that Kino was actually a horrible monster and that that was going to be a major plot point later on. Which is totally not who Kino is, or what the show is about at all!
I had to detail exactly what the original did that made it different and significantly better, but I think a lot of people probably got the wrong impression based on this one. It could have been worse, I guess? Anyway, yep, lets hope that doesn't happen again.
Sad

Chrono1000 wrote:
I have the feeling that trying to merge the details from three different versions of the Coliseum story might be a mistake.

This is definitely a worth-while point. But considering franchise newbies still came out of this thinking Kino was a pretty heartless and probably bad person after this episode, I would say it still fails on that level. Even if her actions were slightly more understandable taking this version by itself, we still have almost no idea how this country functions, or what the broader populace thinks of the Coliseum. It's hard to imagine that literally everyone in this country deserved to die and they were all just horrible people who totally agreed with this crazy King.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Gender pronouns started making me frown, I know there is a push these days for more androgynous use of pronouns for asexual folks, but the show uses the pronoun 'He' currently, as far as I can tell. The long stream of "They" and "Their" is distracting to me, since it usually refers to more than one person. Drop the pronoun's and say "Kino", or use the gender used in the episode, please, instead of focusing on the PC way to express.

That aside, I am enjoying the show, but agree that episode 2 felt odd. I agree the director might be trying to focus us elsewhere. I know I remember the violent episodes of the old show the most.

Great information that the stories chosen were by poll!
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I think it's too early to judge new version of adaptation. I love 1st Kino season, but the new one is still interesting to watch. Yeah, the new director is not Nakamura, but he's not ruining plot of novel, which is a great. And because of that, I would happy to watch new tv, even if it's worse than 1st one.
It just means that Nakamura Ryuutarou was a great director, too bad that he's gone too soon.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:
Gender pronouns started making me frown, I know there is a push these days for more androgynous use of pronouns for asexual folks, but the show uses the pronoun 'He' currently, as far as I can tell.

Actually, that was a subtitle error - the Japanese did not use any masculine pronouns. (Hermes never refers to Kino with gendered pronouns, though various other characters do make assumptions about Kino's gender, in both directions.) I actually went back and rewatched the first episode just before the second one came out, and Crunchyroll has fixed that line to be pronoun-free.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:

Actually, that was a subtitle error - the Japanese did not use any masculine pronouns. (Hermes never refers to Kino with gendered pronouns, though various other characters do make assumptions about Kino's gender, in both directions.) I actually went back and rewatched the first episode just before the second one came out, and Crunchyroll has fixed that line to be pronoun-free.

Thanks for that information! Gives me an excuse to watch it again, because that was distracting as well!

The large amount of 'gender neutral' pronouns in this review was also distracting, especially since they were ones that normally refer to more than one person.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Pronoun-wise, the story is engineered to make basically anything acceptable. The author's original intent was to write a character who doesn't really care about their gender one way or another, and chooses to be perceived as either male or female depending on the situation. I personally use "she" for Kino (since her presentation as a cool butch girl was important to me when I watched the series and that's how I've always seen her since), but since that part of the story hasn't technically been revealed in the remake yet, and for the sake of consistency, I went with "they" this time.

And trust me, as someone who edits not one but two gender-neutral-pronoun-using reviews this season, I'm well aware of how they can confuse sentence structure and necessitate some creative rewrites. It's not a problem the Japanese language has in both cases.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I tend to agree with the sentiment that the Coliseum story was included (and placed early) to introduce Shizu and Riku, making them available for more stories later.

As to unexpected reboots of weird series from a while back: how about a reboot of Boogiepop Phantom?
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
It makes for a lot of awkward, I guess.

Love the show anyway!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2