• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: A Sister's All You Need

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote
Even with the ever present otaku fetish creepiness, I remain very much interested in this show. The main guy seems like a lost cause, but the main gals seem promising. It might never become a well written show, but it has something that can make it a different kind of creepy anime.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:18 am Reply with quote
I found the show to be funny but it is very much a crude comedy. While I have seen plenty of crude anime comedies this pushes the boundaries in just how vulgar the protagonist can be even towards his friends. Whether you can tolerate the protagonist being a crude jerk will be a big factor in whether you will like it. Buried under the crudeness there is a heart to the show and it looks like it will explore some complex themes. A Sister's All You Need might be the crudest anime comedy of the year but hopefully it will be a good show as well.

Last edited by Chrono1000 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:26 am Reply with quote
I’d be surprised if the circumstances behind Chihiro’s situation wasn’t that Itsuki is a gross siscon. Though I guess one might wonder more about the how than the why.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:35 am Reply with quote
@ zrnzle500 - I had the same thought about Chihiro. You can imagine how Itsuki's head would explode if he knew he actually had an imouto. It's just that it seems weird he doesn't actually know what gender Chihiro really is.
pikkuhukka

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quote
i dont know what you (reviewer) are talking about, i fscking love this animu, warts and all <3

tho i loved eromanga sensei also and gave it 10/10 ;3
myskaros

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm mainly watching to hear Nayu say "Myaa!" all the time.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
So far I've enjoyed it from what I've hear there a future episode entirely dedicated to the cast playing D&D so that might fun to watch. As far as the first two episodes it is very a take it or leave it kind of series but I enjoy it the look into the Light Novel industry will hopefully get fleshed out more in future episodes.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I’d be surprised if the circumstances behind Chihiro’s situation wasn’t that Itsuki is a gross siscon. Though I guess one might wonder more about the how than the why.
I think that Itsuki mentioned to his friends that Chihiro was his stepbrother so I am guessing that their parents got married recently.
moogrin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
A pretty negative review lol. I surprised myself by enjoying this show way more than I expected. It wasn't even on my radar going into the season ("ah, another silly siscon show") but the ridiculous descriptions of the opening scene caught my attention so I turned it on just to watch that part but then ended up surprising myself by enjoying it. I totally cracked up in this second ep with "going all-in on research for your fiction" because I have done similar things too. And I enjoy the characters so far with all their various quirks. They do all have that slight element of making the character a bit too much about their quirk to seem fully realistic, but that's pretty common in comedy shows. And as for the MC, his shameless siscon obsession & being an asshole to actual women both seem to fit very well with the type of behavior I've seen from some guys who enclose themselves in their particular otaku social bubble. I guess my hope at this point is that this show will see some kind of character or plot development, and I think they've set up a bunch of pieces to allow that to happen if that's the direction it's going in. If not, we'll, I'll see if the comedy aspects keep amusing me, which they have so far. Also, I have to say I really enjoyed the MC's board game collection haha.
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Not as funny or colorful as Eromanga-Sensei but might turn into something worthwhile as a drama. There's definitely something janky about the characters for me.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
The first episode gave faint hints that it might be capable of a little more than normal, and I'm definitely in the "interest is easily piqued by strange details beneath the surface" category, but even given that I wasn't expecting as much as we got in episode 2. The tone and insight provided were such significant departures from the norm for this kind of fare, and I'm now quite curious to see where the series goes with all of it. If it keeps that somewhat more serious bead this this could be a genre ground-breaker. However, I can also see this degenerating quite quickly, so I'm leery about putting too much hope on it.

I also found the reversal on the standard "walk in on the girl while naked/half-naked" to be quite amusing. The fan service in the middle of episode 2 had a bit of a different tone, too, and the way it integrated it into even rather than just being pure salaciousness was also interesting.

This is one that I'm definitely going to be keeping a close eye on. It's also now jumped a couple of notches on my priority viewing list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mojave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
This one both intrigues and confuses me. I'm not sure yet what it's goal/message is, what type of show it's trying to be. But it's very entertaining, and flips all sorts of cliches on their heads. It's not formulaic or rote by any means, and so I find myself enjoying it, even if I'm not yet sure what it is I'm hoping to get out of viewing it.
Dracospirit121

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:35 am Reply with quote
Well it's made it onto my watch list. The comady is pretty good and the plot seems a bit of a unconventional curveball.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Even with the ever present otaku fetish creepiness, I remain very much interested in this show. The main guy seems like a lost cause, but the main gals seem promising. It might never become a well written show, but it has something that can make it a different kind of creepy anime.

i wouldnt say that. while he's indeed a pervert, he's no issei.

and more importantly, he's no makoto ito.

and the series isnt creepy cause the title is pretty misleading. similar to how danmachi's title misleads a lot of people thinking that its a harem series when its not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
klv
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:36 pm Reply with quote
This show has cracked me up all three episodes so far. I like it.

When I think of how to get my comedy fix this season, it is Gintama and this. I am honestly impressed by just how loud I ended up laughing when she was fellating that food. OMG! So ridiculous.

This sexual harasser who is also a cute 18-year-old girl is really fun to watch. I just hope she doesn't take it too far with the coercing and badgering. She seems to be a capable person who wants more than she can have. A force of nature for sure. This vulgar character is my favorite, but she might go over the line and lose me.

As for the male lead, he is absolutely bats*** ridiculous and I enjoy laughing at his crazy a**.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6