• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: MCM Cancels Events in Telford, Liverpool, N. Ireland

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
'Moving forward, our focus will be on significantly growing and expanding the shows in Manchester, Glasgow, Birmingham and London.'

We're still waiting to see the end of those bootleg stalls, chaps!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Someone has made an e-petition asking for them to un-cancel the Liverpool one:

https://www.change.org/p/mcm-expo-bring-back-liverpool-mcm
TrowaAyanami

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, this certainly feels like a massive "fudge you" to everyone in the Northern Ireland region, doesn't it, MCM?

As someone who has Autism, who generally has difficulties talking to people, who lives in a town with VERY limited options and hardly anyone to hang out with who has similar interests as I do, going to conventions like MCM and meeting other people who love the same things as I do has made me come out of my shell and open up to other people about all the things I love about nerd culture, like anime, movies, tv shows, comics, etc.

To now find out that it's potentially going to be taken away from me is unsettling to say the least. Northern Ireland is already starved of conventions as it is and this statement right here is just MCM kicking us while we're down.

I am bitterly disappointed in you, MCM.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I have to admit whilst I understand the business decision behind this (my understanding is part of the problem is that the Liverpool, Telford and Belfast venues are too small to allow expansion and aren't turning profit when if they sell all the tickets) I do particularly feel for fans who are less able to travel, for example disabled fans, and people on low incomes (especially in the case where most of a family might go to an event).

Incidentally TrowaAyanami I am sure you are aware of this but just in case you aren't:

http://www.showmastersevents.com/belfast/
TrowaAyanami

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:13 am Reply with quote
Oh yes, GracieLizzy, I am aware of the Showmasters event, however unlike previous years, it's only gonna be on for one day next year, which is still frustrating.

The only major convention we have in Northern Ireland is Q-Con which is a locally run convention which will be on it's 25th anniversary next year and has been held in the Student's Union in Belfast for about 13 years.

Unfortunately, after next year's event in June, they will have to move to a different location as the venue is being demolished next Summer for housing, so after that, their future is in doubt.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:05 am Reply with quote
Damn that really sucks about Q-Con Sad, I wonder if they can afford to hire MCM's old venue? Possibly not though as I assume Q-Con is a not for profit event unlike MCM or Showmasters. It's really a shame that most of the Republic of Ireland events appear to be in Dublin or even further south in the Country so will be a fair way away too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1