• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Original Pokemon Rumors Unmasked

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LokiReed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:18 am Reply with quote
I still believe the Ditto and Mew theory. Among all the things you mentioned, Mew's pokedex also states that it has the DNA of all pokemon. And Ditto and Mew are the only two pokemon who learn transform. There's way too many coincidences for it not to be true in my opinion.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:26 am Reply with quote
Never knew about the Mew truck thing but "Ditto being a failed Mew clone" and "Pikablu" are stories I very vividly remember going around the playground when I was a kid. Though I guess "Pikablu" did come true in a sense since you can spoiler[finally get a Pikachu that knows Surf in Ultra Sun]
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:36 am Reply with quote
Mew being under a truck was my creed as a kid and I did everything to try and get it. I also remember the rare Pokemon rumor behind the house and i tried everything to get back there.
Anthony.P

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:40 am Reply with quote
Just a correction: that Yoshi rumor actually came from Expert Gamer. I still remember that issue and falling for it, ahaha.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:55 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, these make me feel seriously old. I know my brother and I poked all around the S.S. Anne way back then. Very Happy
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Though I guess "Pikablu" did come true in a sense since you can spoiler[finally get a Pikachu that knows Surf in Ultra Sun]

You could actually get one of these under the right circumstances...just that it was of course a bit difficult.
Niello

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Junichi Masuda spoke to the rumor in a Game Informer interview where he stated that each Pokémon is designed more or less as their own unique being.

I don't buy this as something that debunked the Mew and Ditto theory. Mew and Mewtwo are already not their own unique beings as Mewtwo creation is directly based on Mew. Ditto as a fail clone of Mew is the same structurally. If the former still counts as "unique being", then there's no reason why the latter can't count.

Aside from Mew and Mewtwo, there are plenty of other pokemons that are related in this way as well.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
On the Current Survey: only a bit over 5% for None?? Clearly there are a lot of people who have no idea what raising a kindergartener entails. Even a hypothetical, fictional child is enough to give me chills.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Did you know you can still cheat like that in the Virtual Console versions?
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I still hold up and B sometimes out of habit when playing Gen 1/2. I know it doesn't do anything but when you spend an entire childhood doing it and believing it worked because of a placebo effect it's hard to stop.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Never knew about the Mew truck thing but "Ditto being a failed Mew clone" and "Pikablu" are stories I very vividly remember going around the playground when I was a kid. Though I guess "Pikablu" did come true in a sense since you can spoiler[finally get a Pikachu that knows Surf in Ultra Sun]

Surfing Pikachu was available at least as early as the Yellow version, and you could play a surfing minigame in Fuchsia City there. Surfing Pikachu would continue to be an occasional event gimmick, though I don't think there were any mnigames specific to Surfing Pikachu afterward. Of course, now we got a surfing Alolan Raichu, though it telekinetically surfs.

Regarding "Pikablu" though, I remember this one being unusually persistent in that there were other classmates who refused to believe it wasn't true, even after Pokémon Gold and Silver came out. They refused to call Marill anything but "Pikablu," refused to get the Generation II games, and refused to believe anyone who had Gold or Silver and said otherwise. These people somehow managed to keep the rumors going among other students at the school who didn't know better, and it created a minor rumor war between those who wanted to perpetuate the rumor and those who wanted to dispel it. (I'm guessing it's more that they liked to spread rumors and really didn't like it when they were debunked.) There were also a few people who decided they wouldn't play Pokémon anymore SOLELY because "Pikablu" was actually Marill, and when they were thrown into the mix, they effectively made Pokémon unpopular at the school by making both sides of the rumor war look bad.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Well,I've had some theories of my own,and they don't involve the games. They involve the anime. I've often thought that Misty often had a crush on Ash,but never really told him about she felt because he was too wrapped up in his dream of becoming a Pokemon master and more often than not,it just flew over his head. What do you guys think about that?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing - no, hoping - choosing Rin Kaga doesn't include wanting what happens later on in the manga.
Blue21

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Well,I've had some theories of my own,and they don't involve the games. They involve the anime. I've often thought that Misty often had a crush on Ash,but never really told him about she felt because he was too wrapped up in his dream of becoming a Pokemon master and more often than not,it just flew over his head. What do you guys think about that?

"Theory"? It's canon that Misty has a crush on Ash.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Although I concede that they gained currency amongst otherwise uninformed individuals, these stories lack the inventive elaborateness and sheer unsettling verve of the Pokemon Black tale from several years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3