• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth: Hacker's Memory's Promo Video Streamed With English Subtitles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:37 am Reply with quote
Old trailer, but still can't believe that they're using English dub names for the Digimon in this Japan AF game aimed at a mature audience (the ones who started with Adventure 01). Plus the Sistermon censorship. Too inconsistent.
CharlieJS3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:10 am Reply with quote
No dub, no buy
Deoxy360

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
No dub, no buy

Your loss. The last digimon cyber sleuth game was AMAZING. And I don't really care if it had a dub. These games are text heavy, more than dialogue heavy.
CharlieJS3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:00 am Reply with quote
Deoxy360 wrote:
Quote:
No dub, no buy

Your loss. The last digimon cyber sleuth game was AMAZING. And I don't really care if it had a dub. These games are text heavy, more than dialogue heavy.

I've played the last one. There is no reason why a dub should not be included, it is the least expensive part of the localization process.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the first Cyber Sleuth game so I'll get this at some point.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:25 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Old trailer, but still can't believe that they're using English dub names for the Digimon in this Japan AF game aimed at a mature audience (the ones who started with Adventure 01). Plus the Sistermon censorship. Too inconsistent.

I mean I much prefer Omnimon over Omegamon because that's how I always called him. So I am happy. It's a good decision. Also I am pretty sure going with the Japanese names would mostly please newer fans, those who didn't grow up watching 01 and 02.
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:25 am Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
KH91 wrote:

I mean I much prefer Omnimon over Omegamon because that's how I always called him. So I am happy. It's a good decision. Also I am pretty sure going with the Japanese names would mostly please newer fans, those who didn't grow up watching 01 and 02.

I'm of two minds on this.

On the one hand I'm 100% with you on Omnimon, Gatomon, Gallentmon, etc. being what my brain automatically defaults to when refering to said digimon (and as you said, this preference is likely because I started with 01 way back in '99).

On the other hand, whenever those digimon get brought up in voiced dialogue, I find it jarring as heck to hear the Japanese name while reading the English one.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:42 am Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:

You're assuming there weren't plenty of old fans didn't watch the Japanese version. We did. Back when they were in .rm for at and the in-place to be was Megchan's. We were making fun of the hackjob dub back then just as people do now. Not every old fan was a little kid watching the awful dub on Fox. Most countries got an uncut, unlocalized dub. Besides, Digimon is dead in America, let's leave the old censorship and localization with it's corpse.

PS. "Alphamon and Omnimon" is pretty dumb. Omegamon makes more sense. Also, gato means a male cat, when all Tailmon are female. It should have been Gatamon, but hey, that's localizers for you.

PPS. It's not 01, It's Adventure. 02 is called 02 because it takes place in 2002, not because it's the second series. For someone attempting to old guard, that is an odd mistake to make. 02 was never even called 02 in Àmerica it was just "Digimon season 2" . If someone is against Japanese names, why would they use the Japanese names for the series itself? The first series to have an actual subtitle in America was Savers, which called it Data Squad. Adventure, 02, Tamers, and Frontier don't exist in America.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:08 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

You're assuming there weren't plenty of old fans didn't watch the Japanese version. We did. Back when they were in .rm for at and the in-place to be was Megchan's. We were making fun of the hackjob dub back then just as people do now. Not every old fan was a little kid watching the awful dub on Fox. Most countries got an uncut, unlocalized dub. Besides, Digimon is dead in America, let's leave the old censorship and localization with it's corpse.

PS. "Alphamon and Omnimon" is pretty dumb. Omegamon makes more sense. Also, gato means a male cat, when all Tailmon are female. It should have been Gatamon, but hey, that's localizers for you.

PPS. It's not 01, It's Adventure. 02 is called 02 because it takes place in 2002, not because it's the second series. For someone attempting to old guard, that is an odd mistake to make. 02 was never even called 02 in Àmerica it was just "Digimon season 2" . If someone is against Japanese names, why would they use the Japanese names for the series itself? The first series to have an actual subtitle in America was Savers, which called it Data Squad. Adventure, 02, Tamers, and Frontier don't exist in America.

I think the way you worded your whole argument pretty much gives weight to my own. You sound like a purist from a vocal minority. The type of fanbase that would wish less success for their own favortite anime. Both easily coexist nowadays. Also, Digimon isn't dead. Else Cyber sleuth wouldn't have been a succes and Tri wouldn't be playing in theaters with a dub with lots of effort behind it.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:35 am Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
I think the way you worded your whole argument pretty much gives weight to my own. You sound like a purist from a vocal minority. The type of fanbase that would wish less success for their own favortite anime.

America is literally one of the only places that got a heavily localized/gag dub. Most of the wor!d got the original names, script, and music. Liking the American localization is technically the 'vocal minority'.

Quote:
Both easily coexist nowadays. Also, Digimon isn't dead. Else Cyber sleuth wouldn't have been a succes and Tri wouldn't be playing in theaters with a dub with lots of effort behind it.

Then why was Xros Wars' dub cancelled and Appmon nowhere to be seen stateside? A few low budget games is not a very strong pulse.

And Tri airs in a select few theaters as a limited run. 'Dub with a lot of effort' is misleading though, but I guess a gag dub with the Digirap replacing Butterfly does technically require more effort than an accurate translation.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:40 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

America is literally one of the only places that got a heavily localized/gag dub. Most of the wor!d got the original names, script, and music. Liking the American localization is technically the 'vocal minority'.

Then why was Xros Wars' dub cancelled and Appmon nowhere to be seen stateside? A few low budget games is not a very strong pulse.

And Tri airs in a select few theaters as a limited run. 'Dub with a lot of effort' is misleading though, but I guess a gag dub with the Digirap replacing Butterfly does technically require more effort than an accurate translation.

But we are talking about the english localization here. Why should they care what other language did? The localized name are more known here. Why should they cater to the minority? They can call it whatever they want in spanish or german. Call it a gag dub if you want, but I think it's the better choice. That dub made Digimon here.

Also shame for Xros, but Applimon is clearly TOEI being greedy, just like with DBS. They are holding it for whatever reason. It isn't even streaming legally anywhere in sub.

So disagree if you want, but catering to a few purist is the worst of the 2 choices.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1