• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games: Persona gets Funky and Shots get Fired

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Still, there's only one thing I will ever think of when I heard “Dancing Star,” and it's not Persona.

It made me think of this personally: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnuGhKoX2i4

My gaming queue is loaded up for now. I've got a lot to get through, so I can't take in any new releases at present:

*Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
*Summon Night 6
*Tokyo Xanadu eX+
*Knack 2
*Atelier Totori (yes, I'm finally getting back to Atelier)

What's everyone else's lists look like?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Disappointingly, however, Atlus continues to not acknowledge the Persona 3 Portable heroine

Legit question, why does Atlus keep on doing this? Are they ashamed of that character, flat out don't care for her, or something? It's utterly bizarre especially when freakin' Theodore, Liz's counterpart, is acknowledged in Persona Q.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:34 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
What's everyone else's lists look like?

-Monster Hunter Stories for 3DS
-Dragon Quest VIII for 3DS
-Assassin's Creed Origins for Xbox One
-Yonder for PS4
-Persona 5 for PS4
-Pokken Tournament for Wii U

I love JRPGs, but I gotta break up the leveling with some other types of game sometimes to avoid overload. Then the N64 or Genesis or something gets booted up and why hello, Diddy Kong Racing or Aladdin.

Oh, and Zelda: BOTW for Wii U. Pretty much always Zelda.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:

-Monster Hunter Stories for 3DS
-Dragon Quest VIII for 3DS
-Assassin's Creed Origins for Xbox One
-Yonder for PS4
-Persona 5 for PS4
-Pokken Tournament for Wii U

I love JRPGs, but I gotta break up the leveling with some other types of game sometimes to avoid overload. Then the N64 or Genesis or something gets booted up and why hello, Diddy Kong Racing or Aladdin.

Oh, and Zelda: BOTW for Wii U. Pretty much always Zelda.

Looks great. And I know what you mean. I pretty much stack together my JRPGs, so I get locked in with level grinding. On the off chance I feel like something more action-based, I swap over to a Mega Man title or something similar, which is why I added Knack 2 in there (though Odin Sphere Leifthrasir is good for scratching that 2D action itch while keeping consistent leveling as part of the action).
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:35 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
It's utterly bizarre especially when freakin' Theodore, Liz's counterpart, is acknowledged in Persona Q.

Q's a non canon crossover though and as such he's not really mentioned or alluded to elsewhere outside of Portable and Q.

Quote:
The fact that Sega's willing to delay Hokuto ga Gotoku shows that they really, really want it to be as good as possible right out of the gate. That's commendable.

Less so when you remember they didn't give the same courtesy to Sonic 06.
Darkabomination

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:36 pm Reply with quote
The truth has been acknowledged, FeMC/Minako is the best P3 protagonist. Disappointing she'll never be acknowledged by the series, however.
When it comes to 2d shooters, Copy Kitty is one of the best for PC, and takes the explosive crazyness of Mega Man to new heights and very creative gameplay mechanics. Needs more love.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
It's utterly bizarre especially when freakin' Theodore, Liz's counterpart, is acknowledged in Persona Q.

Q's a non canon crossover though and as such he's not really mentioned or alluded to elsewhere outside of Portable and Q.

It still doesn't explain why they didn't even bother giving the FemMC any mention even on that non canon crossover game..
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:27 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

Except he also pops up throughout P4AU, which is canon.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:47 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
It still doesn't explain why they didn't even bother giving the FemMC any mention even on that non canon crossover game..

Theo is just another member of the Velvet Room siblings. He's easy enough to write into canon. FeMC isn't, since she replaces Makoto's role in the story and you can't have both of them at once, logically, since they're mutually exclusive.

Usually in games with different gender protagonists, one is canon and the other isn't. Like Female Kamui in Fire Emblem is generally canon while male version isn't. Or in the Pokemon Universe, the female trainer is usually the canon one for recent games.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:08 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Quote:
Still, there's only one thing I will ever think of when I heard “Dancing Star,” and it's not Persona.

It made me think of this personally: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnuGhKoX2i4

Hate to admit it, but I was with Heidi on this one, and Pavlovian instincts were for "Cutest. Urusei opening. EVER. Anime catgrin "
Thought I was the only one.

Quote:
Except he also pops up throughout P4AU, which is canon.

Was he the snotty world-domination one who showed up out of "nowhere"? Oh, that explains it.
Most Persona franchise in the US doesn't really exist before P3 canon. All I ever knew about 1, 2 & Q were those little school-uniform emblems that show up in the "20th Anniversary" opening for Persona 5.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:00 am Reply with quote
For the Switch, this is what I recommend to developers: stop being sloppy with your coding. Seriously, considering how games as gigantic as Xenoblade 2, Mario Odyssey, and Zelda can fit onto the cartridges, there are no excuses anymore.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Disappointingly, however, Atlus continues to not acknowledge the Persona 3 Portable heroine

Damm straight! She better appears in the game as some unlockable character.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:43 am Reply with quote
I honestly loved P4 Dancing All Night for how over the top and silly it was. A blatant final milking of one of Atlus’ biggest cash cow? Sure. But I still had fun and I loved the dancing animation, and how they gave everyone their own dancing style and unique reactions depending on who’s the dancing partner.

My two gripes with it are simply: (1) if you played a drinking game for how often they say “bonds,” you would die halfway into the story; and (2) Ashley Bursch replaced Laura Bailey as Rise due to scheduling conflicts.

darkchibi07 wrote:

I’ve heard a rumor that the primary reason they never use FeMC outside P3P and the stage play is not only because her and Makoto can never exist at the same time, but also because she’s not really canon. She’s just a “what-if” scenario.

Whatever the reason, it’s unfortunate and I will forever be eager for her comeback cause she deserves it damn it. I’m atleast hoping she (and Theodore) will be available as an unlockable character like Adachi and Margaret.
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:48 am Reply with quote
I thought they initially said that Persona Q was canon, but everyone in the game forgot about it afterward, or was that changed later?

I do wish they'd drop the "everything has to be canon!" aspect of these side games, since a lot of them are sillier anyway, and that would allow them to add in the FeMC from Persona 3 and even characters from the first two Personas. Of the side games, I've never bought any of the dancing ones since I have no interest poppy-rhythm games, but I'd even buy them if they added Persona 2 characters... I'd be up for just about anything with Persona 2 characters by this point. Smile
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Terrible90sDub wrote:
I'd be up for just about anything with Persona 2 characters by this point. :)

You and me both. The cast from the first two Persona titles don't get any love, except as a textual cameo (and that tends to be Maya more than anyone else). The Persona 1 team gets no love at all, for that matter. : (
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2