• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Indestructible Studio Gainax: Part IV

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PFdaCIA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:18 pm Reply with quote
If they want to get back up they have to stop thinking about the glories of the past, and give new life and identity to the studio. And the main thing: pay your employees on time!
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I do think at this point in time, Gainax is basically on the verge of death as a studio but who knows they may pull a surprise resurrection from the ashes with Uru in Blue or something but even if they do, their legacy is already ensured and will be carried on by Trigger.
russ869

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Gunbuster 3, Uru in Blue and a trilogy of films based on the stories of Leiji Matsumoto known as The Zero Century Trilogy

Who here thinks any of these projects will ever actually get finished? Anybody...? As much as I would love to watch all of those!!
PFdaCIA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
I do think at this point in time, Gainax is basically on the verge of death as a studio but who knows they may pull a surprise resurrection from the ashes with Uru in Blue or something but even if they do, their legacy is already ensured and will be carried on by Trigger.

I agree.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:24 pm Reply with quote
So is this being headlined with Kill La Kill to highlight the brain drain at Gainax or something? I'd think FLCL or Gurren Lagann would work for this era otherwise.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:31 pm Reply with quote
"Khara had also lent the studio roughly 100,000 million yen (approximately 1.1 million USD) in 2014. "

Could I get a clarification on that amount - 100,000 million yen?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:09 pm Reply with quote
^ I'm sure they meant 100 million yen and just lost control of their zero key. Smile
Greboruri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In 1998, Hideaki Anno was offered the chance to direct the adaptation to the His and Her Circumstances manga. [...] He was dropped from the credits in Episode 17 and replaced with his producer Hiroki Sato who brought on Evangelion's assistant director Kazuya Tsurumaki to help him finish the series as it was airing.

Wondering where this story comes from and what the source is. Because as you can clearly see from the shows credits (as documented in this twitter thread), Anno is credited constantly as script writer, storyboard artist and series director right up to the final episode. Note that from episode 17 onwards Hiroki Sato along with Anno is credited as series director. However while Hideaki Anno is also credited as series director, his name is written in katakana, not kanji. Not sure why this is or what it actually signifies, if anything.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In 1998, Hideaki Anno was offered the chance to direct the adaptation to the His and Her Circumstances manga. [...] He was dropped from the credits in Episode 17 and replaced with his producer Hiroki Sato who brought on Evangelion's assistant director Kazuya Tsurumaki to help him finish the series as it was airing.

Personally, I've always been deeply confused about why the Kare Kano mangaka didn't like Anno's take; considering where she herself went with that character in later volumes makes me think that Anno just had a keener sense of insight than the mangaka about where the story was naturally heading.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Gainax seems very destructed to me...

In all seriousness, these pieces were very informative for me. Gainax will always have a special place in my heart because they created my beloved Evangelion, which is the most important show in the history of anime. I wish luck to what remains of Gainax, but Studio Trigger has quickly become the new Gainax of anime.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:33 am Reply with quote
I guess it didn't fit the narrative, but it was a little sad not to see mention of Petite Princess Yucie, not only because it's a good show, but it also being inspired by the Princess Maker series gives it a special place in GAINAX history.

Greboruri wrote:
Wondering where this story comes from and what the source is. Because as you can clearly see from the shows credits (as documented in this twitter thread), Anno is credited constantly as script writer, storyboard artist and series director right up to the final episode. Note that from episode 17 onwards Hiroki Sato along with Anno is credited as series director. However while Hideaki Anno is also credited as series director, his name is written in katakana, not kanji. Not sure why this is or what it actually signifies, if anything.

whiskeyii wrote:
Personally, I've always been deeply confused about why the Kare Kano mangaka didn't like Anno's take; considering where she herself went with that character in later volumes makes me think that Anno just had a keener sense of insight than the mangaka about where the story was naturally heading.

The story I had heard (can't remember where; might've been a retrospective similar to this) was that the mangaka didn't like the adaptation because of its tone: it emphasized humor too much for her tastes. Apparently this led to the show not getting a second season-- thus the unresolved ending-- not so much that it helped diminish Anno's role. It could be that both of those consequences are true, though.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:32 am Reply with quote
I'm actually watching Kare Kano for the first time right now. I wonder who came up with the idea to have an episode done entirely with drawings/cardboard cut-outs...seems like an Anno thing, but he was apparently off the show by then.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:03 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
So is this being headlined with Kill La Kill to highlight the brain drain at Gainax or something? I'd think FLCL or Gurren Lagann would work for this era otherwise.

Everyone responsible for those left. Even the FLCL rights left, which is why Adult Swim in their blatant fanboyism is making two new seasons, completely unnecessary mind you.

Mass talent exodus and no new product means a dying studio.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
I'm actually watching Kare Kano for the first time right now. I wonder who came up with the idea to have an episode done entirely with drawings/cardboard cut-outs...seems like an Anno thing, but he was apparently off the show by then.

Oh, it certainly was a matter of artistic merit and not one that happened because of budget reasons. No, no, don't look at Gurren Lagann episode 4, that was a director's decision and don't look at the final two episodes of Evangelion or the Death and Rebirth clip movie, that was... one guy throwing his hands up in the air saying "I don't know" and a cash grab while the final movie was both?

What does Gainax mean to me? In the beginning, there was always the Endings. The ones that were strange, the ones that didn't know when to stop... like Samson's fate in Nadia; It was an anime original work, there was no need to set that up that way.

They're also responsible for what I still consider one of the worst anime ever produced, Corpse Princess. Let's see if I can explain this clearly... I think the show Blood Lad was a complete and total waste of potential in that it has a great set up but doesn't do anything with it so it was one of my top picks for terribleness the year it came out. Corpse Princess also has a good premise but it does everything wrong with it, making it my top five for all time even ten years later. The plotting is bad, the characters are poorly developed, the twists are poorly thought out and nothing gets resolved even if a lot of people die, a lot of dead people die and people who should have come back to life don't.

You can even see the point where the show producers hit the "Where can this actually go?" wall of the entire premise midway through the series when they pull the plug on several plotlines.

I suppose I should just remember the good stuff...I like Petite Princess Yucie? It is the only Gainax series that doesn't make me want to gather Gainax creators together and teach them how to diagram a story.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Uru in Blue is the one I'm hoping to see. For so long, it's held so much promise. There were so many talented individuals developing its world. The design works released in years past look amazing. But considering the state of GAINAX, I'm concerned if it can reach the vision of what it was supposed to be. Will it have the look and feel of those old design images, or will it be completely redesigned in an art style more like what, say, TRIGGER has been doing? Given that Yamaga and Sadamoto are still involved, I have to believe they will stick to the original vision. I'm sure CG will be used now instead of hand-drawing for the planes, but hopefully they still get the gritty, earthy feel of the universe of Royal Space Force. I wish them luck to see this through to the fullest. Sadamoto's character designs were already full of so much personality, and Yamaga wrote the screenplay for Gundam 0080, so he's right at home in this genre and knows how to deliver on it. Regrettably, in the current climate, I'm not sure the anime fandom would respond to something like this. But it's right near the top of my wish list for productions to come true.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2