• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kurozuka, Ultraviolet: Code 044, Viper's Creed DVD Set Listed From Mill Creek

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:41 pm Reply with quote
This is interesting because I've never heard of these titles. Design-wise they harken back to that old late 80's early 90's feel. But then again this IS studio Madhouse. I want to take a look at these.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
This is interesting because I've never heard of these titles. Design-wise they harken back to that old late 80's early 90's feel. But then again this IS studio Madhouse. I want to take a look at these.

They're all about 10 years old now. Sony Pictures had them produced for Animax back in the day. We got their dubs streamed on Crackle as Sony hired Ocean to do the dub for Kurozuka and Ultraviolet, while Blue Water handled Viper's Creed. The latter two briefly ran on G4 in the US, IIRC. All three got a dub-only print-on-demand DVD from Sony Pictures a few years back.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I dub thee "The Crap Pack" (Well only Ultraviolet: Code 044 is crap the other two are just rather unremarkable). Probably comes on some S***y DVD-Rs too like the last releases.
AholePony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I thought Kurozuka was pretty decent with some horror elements we don't often get in tv anime.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Kurozuka really needs a bluray release. Viper's Creed was also HD but doesn't look as good (nor is the story as good) as Kurozuka.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Light Yagami, Setsuna Seii, and the lead in "Kurozuka" all share the same VA (dub and sub).
donhumberto

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:12 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

As someone who loves that era anime-wise I can tell you that these 3 titles are pretty good. As others have mentioned, Kurozuka is by far the best one (I would even rank it among my favorites of the last decade), but I found Ultraviolet and Vipers creed to be pretty enjoyable too
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:36 am Reply with quote
Kurozuka while not great was actually pretty decent, and its had a BD release in Japan, so I'm very disappointed that its getting a DVD release here again. It would also be nice if this time around they included some subtitling as there was some dialogue from Noh theatre at the beginning of several episodes that was never translated in the dub only release which IIRC was relevant to the story. I'd be ok buying it if it was BD.

On the other hand, I vaguely recall watching some of Ultraviolet and Viper's Creed and they were so bad that I couldn't get half way thru them before quitting.

I think Mill Creek actually presses their discs instead of DVD-R, but since its a 3 series release I got a bad feeling that they will cram as many episodes as they can on the discs and quality will suffer. Sad

edit: Huh, Mill Creek's website currently has it listed as being 3 discs. Unless that's a typo that's going to be ugly squeezing a show per disc.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:06 am Reply with quote
I really like kurozuka. It was edgy, which means extra good points right off the bat. It had that special kind of bullet for my valentine thrash metalcore kind of edge.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

They're all about 10 years old now. Sony Pictures had them produced for Animax back in the day. We got their dubs streamed on Crackle as Sony hired Ocean to do the dub for Kurozuka and Ultraviolet, while Blue Water handled Viper's Creed. The latter two briefly ran on G4 in the US, IIRC. All three got a dub-only print-on-demand DVD from Sony Pictures a few years back.

donhumberto wrote:

As someone who loves that era anime-wise I can tell you that these 3 titles are pretty good. As others have mentioned, Kurozuka is by far the best one (I would even rank it among my favorites of the last decade), but I found Ultraviolet and Vipers creed to be pretty enjoyable too

Ah, I see. Well, Ten years already? Wow!. Got that on order for us. It's a great deal. A whole collection in one set. So I'll check it out then. If it's still streaming I'll try to catch it there. But glad to know it's good despite LOOKING GOOD. LOL!!
Levonr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:51 pm Reply with quote
DVD only is so lame & cheap Confused. I watched Viper's Creed in HD on Amazon's video service for about $20. Much better than buying the DVD's. The audio was even in 5.1 and I thought the dub was one of the better works from Calgary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1