• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Aggretsuko—Episodes 1-10 streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:54 am Reply with quote
My son Matthew loves this show. He wanted his Mom to watch it, but in Japanese not English. She can't handle subtitles very well, so he provided translation services and they very much enjoyed binge watching it.

Mark Gosdin
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:28 pm Reply with quote
The dub has Jamieson Price, so it's got that going for it as well.
IanKen

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I LOVED this.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:05 pm Reply with quote
BoJack Horseman crossover when?

C'mon Netflix, make it happen.
asilenttree

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:03 pm Reply with quote
i personally felt that this show picked up after Retsuko spoiler[started interacting w/ Washimi and Gori]

I hope that all of the social media and news articles gets it picked up for another season. I didn't really enjoy Resasuke, but I must know more about his spoiler[love for plants]

Last edited by asilenttree on Thu May 03, 2018 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:08 pm Reply with quote
This is my favorite show of the year so far. Currently rewatching it with my mom.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Oggers

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I already liked the original one-minute shorts, but I ended up being more invested in this series than I thought I would be. It's nice that Sanrio has made a property that's aimed more towards adults, and one that's actually pretty relatable to 20-somethings like myself at that.
NicoleNippah

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Retsuko is my spirit animal. This show is so relatable that it hurts.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:43 pm Reply with quote
^ Agreed. Retsuko is my work spirit animal. I also might have ordered a couple of things off Yahoo Japan for my desk at work. Looking forward to that Retsuko Tissue Box already.

I find the person who voices the dubbed version of Retsuko annoying. She tries to sound cute and it just really isn't working for her. I also am seriously bothered by the poor song translations. The love song flashes 'Metal Princess' when the words come on the screen and the dub version doesn't mention anything like that.

Maybe I can find the sub version somewhere. Really wish Netflix allowed me to watch the sub.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:01 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Maybe I can find the sub version somewhere. Really wish Netflix allowed me to watch the sub.

I haven't watched the subbed version, but I'm sure the adaptions of the songs were done to flow in English while still keeping the general idea of the original songs. Either way, the sub was definitely on Netflix, I ended up watching a little bit of it there myself.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:11 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
I haven't watched the subbed version, but I'm sure the adaptions of the songs were done to flow in English while still keeping the general idea of the original.

I get that changes were made to make the song flow, but when the lyrics for the song flash on the screen in Japanese, you can tell how off the lyrics are. It reminded me of the dubs from the 1980s and 1990s, when little to no effort was made to preserve the original dialog, and everyone had homogenized American names. At times, the series felt as if someone else was watching it and then coming up with something an English speaker would say if in a similar situation.

I'm rather new to Netflix, so I was not aware that there's a sub only version of the series available as well. I can't imagine that it could be any worse than listening to Erica as Retsuko. I also hated her pronunciation of some of the Japanese words, particularly her boss, Mr. Ton (she pronounces it as the word 'Tone'). If you're going to keep the Japanese names, pronounce them correctly or modify them to the translated equivalent you can pronounce, like calling him Mr. Pig. I really disagree with the reviewer that her voice fit perfectly. The other VAs were fine.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:40 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

I find the person who voices the dubbed version of Retsuko annoying. She tries to sound cute and it just really isn't working for her. I also am seriously bothered by the poor song translations. The love song flashes 'Metal Princess' when the words come on the screen and the dub version doesn't mention anything like that.

Netflix does provide multiple language dubs on the Closed captioning/language tab (next to the episode menu tab). I switched to the Japanese language track immediately. Be careful not to chose the Japanese track with screen descriptions though. That was confusing- I thought there was a narrator who wasn't being translated.
It just occurred to me that I need to double check how many English captions there are though. If there's only one English caption it would probably be a dub-title (identical to the dub track -for the hearing impaired.)
[edit] Checked during lunch. They don't have an English CC for the hearing impaired. It is a subtitle track meant to preserve the best translation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I think that an A score was a bit exaggerated: it's a good well executed show but not among the best ones. I would rank it as on the same level of other workplace comedies like New Game. Although it is certainly among the most differentiated ones and I guess it's light minimalist visuals are better for Westerners unused to more complex and pretty style of most Japanese animation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1