• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is the New Gun Gale Online Better Than Sword Art Online?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:13 am Reply with quote
Nothing turns me off more when there's a spin-off series and NONE of the original cast are in it. =3=
PFdaCIA

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:15 am Reply with quote
The question is not to be better or not, but rather the free hate that many people gave the original series. You yourself from ANN are responsible [I'm not saying they did this based on fandom] when criticizing structural parts of the original series.

People did not go to this series because they thought it would be better than the original series, but they went to it because they hate the original, and because they think any spin-off series that does not have the original characters is better.

I think [with all respect] that you are even pushing too hard to try to tell whether this series is better or not.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:20 am Reply with quote
@PFdaCIA

Yeah....see, I LOVE the original series....save one arc. Anime hyper
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:42 am Reply with quote
PFdaCIA wrote:
People did not go to this series because they thought it would be better than the original series, but they went to it because they hate the original, and because they think any spin-off series that does not have the original characters is better.

Or people, like me, are watching GGO because they simply want more SAO. I have always criticized SAO for its amateur and blatant otaku pandering writing, but it has always been an entertaining and well animated show.

I will not attempt to determine which show is better because they seem to have different goals. I will never love SAO (and probably its spin-offs), but I will keep watching it as long as it keeps me entertained and the visuals and action remain strong. GGO has so far delivered, and I actually look forward to Alicization.
Mertal

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:43 am Reply with quote
PFdaCIA wrote:
The question is not to be better or not, but rather the free hate that many people gave the original series. You yourself from ANN are responsible [I'm not saying they did this based on fandom] when criticizing structural parts of the original series.

I think [with all respect] that you are even pushing too hard to try to tell whether this series is better or not.

While I agree the stench of hate on the original series gets really thick whenever it is brought up by someone, I have to disagree on the criticism part.

It's OK to be critical about something one doesn't like or disagrees with in any discussion. If is impossible for any one show, no matter how popular, to be liked by everyone, and thats OK.

BUT with SAO, the critics have become rather rabid about it. It seem that with SAO, it has become THE social THING to hate it. If you make any comment that is NOT critical, then your just another L00s3r fanboi.

It also seems to me that this whole article was just a pretense to bash the original SAO in public some more (like it really NEEDS more bashing), while making fun of the spinoff. Maybe I'm wrong, but I cannot help but see this when I read it.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote
Mertal wrote:

BUT with SAO, the critics have become rather rabid about it. It seem that with SAO, it has become THE social THING to hate it. If you make any comment that is NOT critical, then your just another L00s3r fanboi.

I know right? I absolutely cannot stand this like "enough's enough!" I was very happy to see T.H.E.M. reviews actually give SAO a postive rating....also shocked. Anime hyper
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Both shows are good but SAO is a lot better than GGO. I can understand though why some people prefer GGO since it does lack the harem elements and that one scene from the Fairy Dance arc. Granted the harem elements in SAO are fairly light when compared to a lot of other light novel series so I have never understood why it gets so much criticism except for the fact that SAO is very popular.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't like it as much SAO but I like it. It makes me hopeful that there can be a lot of SAO franchise anime that's all pretty good/straight at worst even if it doesn't have the main cast.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:40 pm Reply with quote
There is no way that GGO will beat it's original works which has already a great lead, huge fanbase, and a much larger character/world development. GGO it's still a good serie whatever it's the anime/manga/LN i really like it but the comparaison is obviously based on the anime so I do not see the interest on making it after only the first arc which didn't do much than beating the first Squad jam, you should have waited until the end.
Alternative Ice

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah, it's a bit uh....dumb, to be polite. Like dude, you've presumably played this game before. You know there's enhanced skills for speed and agility and stuff. LLENN's not a mutant, she's a MinMaxer.

Actually that squad has not played this game before. They were a group of JSDF soldiers who took part to test the viability of ggo and vr in general as a training tool. The leader even resigns after seeing llenn's speed and realizing this game isn't what they're looking for.

As someone who's read the LN's for this and the main series, I think Alternative is the best thing to come out of an otherwise garbage franchise.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Alternative Ice wrote:

As someone who's read the LN's for this and the main series, I think Alternative is the best thing to come out of an otherwise garbage franchise.

Wait, did you read the official releases of the light novels...or fan-translated PDFs?

The version of the former is written a helluva lot better; I was honestly impressed during two volumes of Aincrad and Aincrad Progressive so it's hard for me to understand why someone who likes reading would call them "garbage".
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:36 pm Reply with quote
For me, GGO is my first entry in the SAO franchise and so far, I’ve been really enjoying it. I don’t think I will ever start watching the main series, but I’m very much not a fan of the idea of hating on it simply just for the sake of it at this point. It’s silly. Alternative GGO is pretty solid in most of the entertainment departments and has nicely engaging characters to go along with it. The sound design is pretty good and the interactions are fun to watch as well. I feel comfortable recommending this to other people who are at least open-minded to it.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:44 pm Reply with quote
This is much better, honestly. Characters are not half as annoying, combat is far less OP than the previous games... it actually feels like there's a chance that LLENN could lose, multiple times in the Squad Jam. Original series Kirito's OP ruins everything after the first arc.
TUSF

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:51 pm Reply with quote

Joking aside…

Nick D wrote:
Maybe my favorite tidbit is when they go into the logistics of how firing guns in VR isn't the same as doing it in real life. Rather than real physical objects, all the guns are just lines of code designed as hit scan weapons.
It's the kind of thing that Log Horizon does, digging into the gap between how games work as a system vs how we perceive them as an experience. And all just to tell us why LLENN's partner in the squad battle can hit people without a laser sight by not using computer assistance.

This stuff was in the original SAO too. In fact, the exact same mechanic was abused, in reverse, by Sinon, in the final battle of the arc, to distract the big bad. The main series anime just decided to not have a 5 minute exposition scene to explain it. But I guess that's what was missing for you, huh?
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is the New Gun Gale Online Better Than Sword Art Online?

Nope, not near as good as Sword Art Online, even in the original, Phantom Bullet was the second weakest arc after the train wreck that was Fairy Dance.

I don't like the post-apocalyptic firearms yielding scenarios that much, so the story is not really that attractive to me, But still is somewhat entertaining and because is a spinoff of SAO i will continue to follow it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3