• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why aren't we seeing that many combining mecha?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EternalNothingness

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Remember when, during the 70's, and especially the 80's and 90's with Voltron and the Power Rangers' Megazord, combining mecha were plentiful?

Nowadays, I don't see that many combining mecha, except for Super Sentai and, in some regard, Captain Earth. Other than that, the only mecha teams that I know of have no ability or need to combine, instead dividing themselves into melee, ranged, siege artillery, scout, etc., as a way to compensate for their inability to combine. Not that there's anything wrong with those specific types of mecha, it's just that I miss the old days, when multiple machines could combine to form a bigger, stronger humanoid machine, with mecha like Aquarion, Gun X Sword's El Dora V, and especially Gurren Lagann paying homage to what made them so iconic in the first place.

So why aren't we seeing as many combining mecha now as we used to in the past?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1