• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DARLING in the FRANXX Anime Replaces Yuichiro Umehara With Daiki Hamano

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cab329

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:06 am Reply with quote
Hope they feel better soon.
dannphou

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:49 am Reply with quote
The show is still in production this late? I never knew that! I thought anime productions would have been done months ago, but I guess not.
Keen Fox

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:06 am Reply with quote
Lets hope he recovers soon.

Me too, I thought they made the voice acting long ago but he was hospitalized like a month ago.
Giolon
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:11 am Reply with quote
dannphou wrote:
The show is still in production this late? I never knew that! I thought anime productions would have been done months ago, but I guess not.

You should watch Shirobako. It’s about making anime, and it’s great and pretty accurate (albeit dramatized). Production does come down to the wire!
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:16 am Reply with quote
Get well, Umehara-san!

dannphou wrote:

My understanding is that, in the Japanese method of animation production, voice acting tends to happen much later in the process than in Western animation. This is so they can more effectively match the voice acting to the movements and actions of the individual characters. Sometimes they actually wait until most of the animation is completed before dubbing the voices.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:19 am Reply with quote
Did Friday the 13th speed itself up in the anime seiyuu community two weeks? Just earlier, Ayaka Imamura retired.

It's very dedicated how he continued despite his condition. Hope for a speedy recovery to both seiyuu, your health are more important.
SpaceTheGamer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:13 pm Reply with quote
That's too bad I hope he will get better soon
Volxmas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:16 pm Reply with quote
it look like he won't make it in time to voice goblin slayer.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:20 pm Reply with quote
The second interview special made it clear the voice-acting for the entire series was completed before June 2nd when the special aired. Presumably Hamano had already replaced Umehara before then. I guess they decided not to announce the change until the relevant episode was released as it will be tomorrow.

Didn't anyone else watch that special? I thought the interview with Tomatsu was very interesting. She's a very bright lady.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:39 pm Reply with quote
dannphou wrote:

Anime production usually cuts it close, and hence why we usually get recap episodes if something is late.

But in this case, it might not even be related to that at all. The VA might've wrapped long ago, and they have only decided to make news about the VA change now, when the switch-up happened a while ago during production.

Obviously this must've been for privacy reasons. But now that the episode is about to air and people are going to take note and start asking questions, the news is being released later to coincide with the episode.
Nihilistic_Boi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:42 pm Reply with quote
As someone who also suffered from an autoimmune disease I really hope Yuichiro recovers soon and without any problems. On another note, I think Yoshimasa Hosoya would've been a better choice to replace him, but since he was working on Megalo Box until recently I guess it was not possible xP.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1