• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Detective Conan Manga Takes 7-Week Hiatus

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Again? He just came back!
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Having a spinoff manga take the place of the regular series during hiatuses is a really smart move. Other long-running manga that take frequent breaks (you know who you are!) could stand to do the same. It probably will help contain the inevitable drop in magazine sales.

Aoyama has done over a thousand chapters of Conan at this point, and he's not a young man anymore so I don't blame him for needing more time off. Plus there's been hints lately that the series may finally be moving toward its conclusion, with the recent spoiler[revelation of the identity of the Black Organization's boss, which has been perhaps the manga's biggest mystery for decades now.]
Ziko577

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Having a spinoff manga take the place of the regular series during hiatuses is a really smart move. Other long-running manga that take frequent breaks (you know who you are!) could stand to do the same. It probably will help contain the inevitable drop in magazine sales.

Aoyama has done over a thousand chapters of Conan at this point, and he's not a young man anymore so I don't blame him for needing more time off. Plus there's been hints lately that the series may finally be moving toward its conclusion, with the recent spoiler[revelation of the identity of the Black Organization's boss, which has been perhaps the manga's biggest mystery for decades now.]

Perhaps within the next year or so, this will finally end and Aoyama can retire finally.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Previous hiatus was also for research right? And now, further research with (if I remember correctly) longer hiatus... I'm pretty cool with that, if any, it makes me excited to see the result of those researches when he comes back. It does seem to get closer to a big case deserving researches, so can't wait.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Should do himself a favour and end this manga already...
Serinox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Dian Z wrote:
Previous hiatus was also for research right? And now, further research with (if I remember correctly) longer hiatus...

Depends on what you're referring to.

There was the big health related hiatus that was suggested by his editors, which had no set end date and lasted from December 2017 to April 2018.

He also took a three week "break" for gathering materials between Chapter 1012 and 1013. But these breaks are different: he takes them regularly, they have set end dates and he works on research, script writing and storyboards during this time. So, they aren't really "breaks", but rather "working without the pressure of a one week deadline".

This current "hiatus" falls into the latter category, as far as we currently know. Aoyama said in December that he wanted to change his work schedule and structure after 30 years, so it would be less detrimental to his health in the long run. He also said it might take a while to get used to that and to figure out "how it all works now", so it seems like this current "break" is just him continuing his process to adjust his work flow in a way that allows him to stay healthy for longer.
ShanaChanTT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:22 pm Reply with quote
this series will never end huh? i finally started binge watching the anime and im around 790 and the manga takes a hiatus. fine by me Razz
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
HueyLion wrote:
Should do himself a favour and end this manga already...

That's not doing himself a favor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1