• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Offers Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 3rei!! Anime Digitally

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:19 pm Reply with quote
This is very odd to say the least. So does Funimation have the license, or is this Amazon having no clue? I don't see the point in Funimation having this license because the show does not seem that big to be worth the trouble.
DDragonking

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Wow was wondering what would happen to the series since it's not with Sentai anymore, glad that Funimation got it for a few reasons.

1. Hopefully they'll release the movie and future seasons in dub/simuldub and keep some of the cast.
2. IT'S NOT ANIPLEX!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
3. IT'S NOT ANIPLEX!!!
heartlessangel65

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
This is very odd to say the least. So does Funimation have the license, or is this Amazon having no clue? I don't see the point in Funimation having this license because the show does not seem that big to be worth the trouble.

This season was apart of the CR & Kadokawa deal back in 2016, So CR is the Master License for this season.

Which is why Funi is able to add this on Amazon.

CR also has it on Steam https://store.steampowered.com/app/626380/Prisma_Illya_Drei/
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Makes me wish Funi could redub the entire series. At least then I could be confident that they could at least get Stephanie Sheh, Bryce Papenbrook, and Mela Lee to reprise their roles from the other Fate series.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Makes me wish Funi could redub the entire series. At least then I could be confident that they could at least get Stephanie Sheh, Bryce Papenbrook, and Mela Lee to reprise their roles from the other Fate series.

Didn't Aniplex dub the other Fate seasons? I don't think Funi has ever owned the license to a Fate anime.
Musk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Didn't Aniplex dub the other Fate seasons? I don't think Funi has ever owned the license to a Fate anime.

Back when Funimation licensed rescued a bunch of Geneon titles, the original Fate Stay Night series was part of the series they rescued. It was the only series Funimation ever released of it but they didn't dub any other series they just distributed the home video release of Fate Stay Night (2006 series). I own that release and the blu ray releases from Sentai as well. (I just joined so I could answer the question.)
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand hte point of digital purchasing anime. Streaming is cheap and the quality is the same as digital purchase. The only logical reasons to BUY anime is to get higher quality, and for collection purchases. Digital purchase doesn't apply to either of those reasons. But yeah, odd to see this one there to begin with
NOGI48

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I've been wondering for a very LONG time for why hasn't Sentai release the 4th season and the movie? Hopefully Funi gets the show and the movie as well as the OVA's.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:38 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Uh Prisma Illya is pretty big, especially in Japan. It's part of the Fate franchise afterall and if you haven't been paying attention is currently exploding because of F/GO. 3rei is where the series REALLY gets amazing too so most people are pissed we still don't have a home video release of it or the sequel movie. Pretty sure having 4 seasons, a movie, and upcoming 5th season shows how successful the series is.
Levonr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

I'd love that, I'm not a fan of the Sentai dub. But can't see that happening, re-dubbing an entire series is not that common. However I hope this season is dubbed in LA at least.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

I'd love that, I'm not a fan of the Sentai dub. But can't see that happening, re-dubbing an entire series is not that common. However I hope this season is dubbed in LA at least.

That's what I meant. They could outsource it to BangZoom. I've never been huge on Sentai dubs, but Prisma was easily one of their worst in recent memory. Nearly EVERYBODY was miscast. The problem started the moment Ilya opened her mouth.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I don't see the point in Funimation having this license because the show does not seem that big to be worth the trouble.

Uh Prisma Illya is pretty big, especially in Japan.

I was referring to its popularity in North America, not Japan. I know that it is a huge franchise in Japan. But in R1, outside of fate/Zero, the franchise does not seem that big/popular.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:35 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Catsplay wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I don't see the point in Funimation having this license because the show does not seem that big to be worth the trouble.

Uh Prisma Illya is pretty big, especially in Japan.

I was referring to its popularity in North America, not Japan. I know that it is a huge franchise in Japan. But in R1, outside of fate/Zero, the franchise does not seem that big/popular.

I thought UBW and the recent Heaven's Feel movies did well here didn't they? Also isn't FGO becoming pretty big in the states?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

I thought UBW and the recent Heaven's Feel movies did well here didn't they? Also isn't FGO becoming pretty big in the states?

I don't know the sales numbers, but at least Stay Night's adaptations seem to be not too far off in popularity from Zero on sites like MAL (Fate/Zero: 43, Fate Zero 2nd Season: 80, Deen/Stay Night: 87, UBW 1st season: 107, UBW Second Season: 171). The more peripheral anime entries don't seem quite as popular, including Prisma Illya, but there must be some reason Netflix has gotten a number of the anime in the franchise.

Grand Order seems to be doing well, getting 3 million users before its first anniversary.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least CR and Funimation are finally doing something with this. Crunchy has been sitting on it for while with nothing done except the stream. I guess we will have to wait and see if they do anything else with it, as far as dubbing and home video go.

Since Funimation has easy access to the Sentai cast, I doubt they would outsource the dub to LA. Plus, it’s not like Fate hasn’t had a number of changes throughout the different casts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3