• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S0crates

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Overlord, but with a human protagonist and no empire (yet). Can basically go anywhere from here.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Demon Lord might be the best ecchi isekai show that has been made and it is easily the best ecchi show of the season. While plenty of isekai shows have had occasional scenes of light fanservice this is the first isekai show with Monster Musume levels of fanservice. Granted whether that sounds good or bad will depend on what you think about fanservice. It looks like the slavery element was only added as a hook for light novel readers and in the story it has only caused problems for Diablo. Also I think Rem is one of the best looking catgirls in anime.

Last edited by Chrono1000 on Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Yep, basically Overlord just a more generic world with added lewd. I'll still happily watch it though. Sad
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Also I think Rem is of the one of the best looking catgirls in anime.

Ah, i see you're a man of culture as well.

Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu is probaly the best power fantasy of the season. The plot is good. The characters are very likeable, Our MC inner toughs are so funny. And the fan-service is well balanced. The best will be the BD's but have to wait for them.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:30 pm Reply with quote
oh Christopher you are definitively going to jail for this absolutely killed me

Quote:
No worries, I'm sure she's actually like 800 in rabbit years
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:47 pm Reply with quote
also, while I don't really care for the slavery quirk, I also find myself wondering why it is so downplayed when it is in the freaking original japanese title. why would an author call his entire series, not just a volume "the Demon lord from another world and the Summoner girl's slaving magic" just to then only use it for ocasional cheap gags and as a half-hearted plot device? don't get me wrong. I am enjoying the anime so far, it is just that I founf it interesting
seltzermx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Chrono1000 wrote:
Also I think Rem is of the one of the best looking catgirls in anime.

Ah, i see you're a man of culture as well.

Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu is probaly the best power fantasy of the season. The plot is good. The characters are very likeable, Our MC inner toughs are so funny. And the fan-service is well balanced. The best will be the BD's but have to wait for them.

The uncensored eps are already out there if you know where to look. CR only gets the censored versions. And it's not even just "whiting" out the ecchi bits. There's even different animation at times. In ep 2 when Shera mounts Diablo, she's actually humping him in the uncensored version. CR is still image.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Demon Lord might be the best ecchi isekai show that has been made and it is easily the best ecchi show of the season.

Oh, I think it's at least going to have stiff competition from Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs on the bolded point. I found the first episode of that one a lot sexier than anything that Demon Lord has shown so far.

In fact, I'm watching this one for reasons other than the fan service. Chris touched on this some in his review, but there's an appeal here with the exact tweaking of Diablo's character and some of its commentary on world-building that I have found interesting on their own.

This has been a decent series so far - certainly a step up from Death March and Smartphone anyway - and I'll definitely continue watching it, but it still has a ways to go to get up to Overlord's level on anything other than fan service.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:41 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
also, while I don't really care for the slavery quirk, I also find myself wondering why it is so downplayed when it is in the freaking original japanese title. why would an author call his entire series, not just a volume "the Demon lord from another world and the Summoner girl's slaving magic" just to then only use it for ocasional cheap gags and as a half-hearted plot device? don't get me wrong. I am enjoying the anime so far, it is just that I founf it interesting

No idea but my speculation are either:

The original web novel (I feel like there's always an original web novel) was actually all about slave girl and when it was time to make the LN the editor turn that way down.

Or

The author though he would push that part a lot more but since there were so many similar story at the time he changed his mind.
MsVitchDaSecond

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:00 pm Reply with quote
ofc they got someone who hates ecchi harem anime to review this show weekly Mad
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:29 pm Reply with quote
So far I'm enjoying this one. I think Diablo is pretty hot (whether he wants to be or not, lol) and I love his inner thoughts compared to his outer actions. I don't mind the fanservice, and I think they could up that a bit more to be honest. Also, Rem is best girl...I've always liked catgirls.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I've read the manga, and have honestly been pleasantly surprised with how well they've done the anime, I was worried that it would be a repeat of death march or smart phone.

The biggest surprise for me with this series has been the production values, the salamander summoned in ep 1 is one of the better monsters I've seen in a fantasy series in recent memory, hell it looks better than the monsters in overlord and that's a huge name series with madhouse behind it. And that salamander wasn't even some important monster, it showed up and was immediately killed.
animefanworried

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I never expected this series to go all out on slavery. With these kinds of shows I usually expect something like slavery to be used for fanservice and comedy, not taken seriously or sadistically. Some people were disappointed by how tame the series is considering its premise but I think a lot of people built way too much expectations based on how badly Anime Feminist lost it when this series came out lol.

Personally though I like that its not shy about fanservice and has some decent production value behind it. Depending on how the story goes it might be a title that does more than what I came to watch it for.
Cloudywind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:51 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
The original web novel (I feel like there's always an original web novel) was actually all about slave girl and when it was time to make the LN the editor turn that way down.

Two minutes of googling can tell you that there is no web novel, this is a pure light novel from a veteran author. The author is actually better known for his more serious fantasy senki/political series Altina the Sword Princess. Since Altina is considered to be a deeper, better written work, some readers were shocked that he also wrote Isekai Maou as well. Nonetheless the volume 10 afterword mentions that part of the reason he had some difficulty getting publishers to pick up Isekai Maou was that most editors considered that such works should come from web novels.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:12 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

No idea but my speculation are either:

Or

The author though he would push that part a lot more but since there were so many similar story at the time he changed his mind.

Many Isekai LN have slavery and MC with slave girls as part of the harem. Is usually a plot device to make a MC a savor of a girl were she become his slave from free will and become in love with the MC. Sometimes she became his slave so she don't have to be a slave of some bad character.
But slavery is usually downplayed after that. The girls are slaves but are not treated as that.

Most Isekai are on fantasy places based on medieval ages where slaves where very common.

I don't believe that any LN editor or publisher will tell a author to remove slavery from a LN. Is just not something that would cause any trouble for the LN in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7