• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Promised Neverland Anime Reveals Cast, Staff, Character Visuals

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
professorwho

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Cloverworks is a branch of A-1 Pictures but re-named...

Well, expect quality control to be non-existent... (Yes, I'm one of those guys who hates A-1 because of all the garbage they shove out with no QC)
fantaselion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Toshiya ONO did the series composition in Land of the Lustrous, so thats a plus.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote
professorwho wrote:

Well, expect quality control to be non-existent... (Yes, I'm one of those guys who hates A-1 because of all the garbage they shove out with no QC)

It's a shame they didn't go for a more reliable studio and a better staff. The staff isn't even impressive at all. Maybe Cloverworks will get their stuff together for this adaptation but I seriously doubt it. If we get lucky the production will have a very solid set of producers that will be able to bring in a lot of talented people to work on it.

A-1 have disappointed me countless times and I have every reason to believe the same will happen with their anime version of this story.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:50 pm Reply with quote
professorwho wrote:

Well, it won't be as bad as Toei Word Trigger run (30 seconds of screaming). They shouldn't mess the Anime up, Promised Neverland can easily rival Attack On Titans if it is done correctly
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:54 pm Reply with quote
A-1 Pictures? What, was Studio Pierrot too busy? They only adapt crap, and the source material they nab that's actually good gets a crappy anime only ending.
MugenPancake

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Phil looks so adorable, I have high hopes..just praying that the quality is consistent at the very least. Excited to see what kind of OP they give this series, maybe one that starts off jovial and turns dark >:D one of my favorite manga to date so please let this be a fun animated ride
Hatsu95

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Hey... this is the director of Baccano... so let's have a little, just a little bit of faith.
TheGoldenCatch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Hatsu95 wrote:
Hey... this is the director of Baccano... so let's have a little, just a little bit of faith.

He didn't direct Baccano. He was involved in Baccano but the overall director of Baccano was Takahiro Omori.
TheGoldenCatch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
professorwho wrote:

Well, it won't be as bad as Toei Word Trigger run (30 seconds of screaming). They shouldn't mess the Anime up, Promised Neverland can easily rival Attack On Titans if it is done correctly

I agree that The Promised Neverland can be as good as Attack on Titan but Attack on Titan had better staff working on the anime. I am quite worried about the director and music composer of this adaptation.
Calico

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Kinda weird that they decided to change Gilda's hair color. Phil also looks weird, because he looks like he has black eyes and darker skin in the manga.
Nodz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Calico wrote:
Kinda weird that they decided to change Gilda's hair color. Phil also looks weird, because he looks like he has black eyes and darker skin in the manga.

What are you talking about? Gilda's hair is olive drab like in the manga, and Phil has dark skin and eyes on the anime promo picture too.
Skydrop

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:04 pm Reply with quote
so its not gonna be special but at least we can expect decent though which is kind of relief. cool.
Calico

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
Calico wrote:

What are you talking about? Gilda's hair is olive drab like in the manga, and Phil has dark skin and eyes on the anime promo picture too.

Gilda's hair looks much less green in the picture than she does in the manga: pic for comparison. Here's a pic of Phil as well, though I double checked to make sure and he is portrayed with blue eyes in some of the color pages, so I'm wrong there. IDK, they just didn't look like I expected, and Gilda's hair being less green obviously isn't going to stop me from watching the show. I just thought it was kinda weird. Everyone else looks good though.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:54 pm Reply with quote
professorwho wrote:

I would disagree. Say what you will about Eromanga Sensei or Franxx, but their visual execution was consistently good. Slow Start had more than its share of excellent character animation. Idolm@ster SideM was also fairly good in that regard, about what one would expect from the Idolm@ster crew, though not as good as the first anime, which was also A-1 btw. There are certainly A-1 shows that don't do so well in this regard, but that is dependent on the staff not the (highly freelance) studio.

There are also cases where some see not enough quality control and others (namely sakuga fans) see letting the animators do their thing, like with Apocrypha, or even a little bit of both like with Grancrest.

Thorfinn wrote:
It's a shame they didn't go for a more reliable studio and a better staff. The staff isn't even impressive at all. Maybe Cloverworks will get their stuff together for this adaptation but I seriously doubt it. If we get lucky the production will have a very solid set of producers that will be able to bring in a lot of talented people to work on it.

A-1 have disappointed me countless times and I have every reason to believe the same will happen with their anime version of this story.

Setting one's expectations based primarily on the studio a show is attached to, especially with the heavily freelance A-1 (and now its rebranded subsidiary CloverWorks), is a bit facile in my opinion. The staff generally have way more influence on the quality of the work than what studio it is attached to.

The staff in this case does give me some concern, though I did like the director's Sound of the Sky, and the series composition writer does have some experience with shonen. Mahou Shoujo Nante Mouiideskara had some nice bits of animation, so perhaps they can bring some of those connections to this.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know how to translate Japanese measurements? It goes from 100 to 11"(I thought it was the text becoming blurred at first, but looking closely it is a Quotation mark) to 120. Does it go from 100 something to 11 inches to 120 something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2